Thread: Flux or 5 Spot?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Flux or 5 Spot?

I am coming of a Klein hardtail and looking at the Flux. My riding weight is 215lbs. Ride mostly rocky, rooty xc with no real drops. Suddenly started fanticizing about a 5 Spot. I like to climb steep technical hills. Is 5 Spot overkill or more fun and still fast enough for my needs?

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316
    I am coming of a Klein hardtail and looking at the Flux. My riding weight is 215lbs. Ride mostly rocky, rooty xc with no real drops. Suddenly started fanticizing about a 5 Spot. I like to climb steep technical hills. Is 5 Spot overkill or more fun and still fast enough for my needs?
    Sounds like a Spot would most suit your terrain.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    A 5 Spot would probably work well for you. Longer travel bikes are typically better for technical climbing...... as long as weight doesn't become a significant factor. The spot can be built relatively light if necessary. It's a great bike

Try to get a test ride on one if you can. A lot of this depends on your riding style. Some hardtail riders don't necessarily like a squishy bike. The spot is great for seated climbing, but not quite as good as some other bikes if you stand and mash ithe pedals a lot.

MK_
    carpe maana
    Are you also fanticizing about drops? Are your rocks big on your rocky sections? I live in the front range of Colorado and I first got a Burner. I quickly "outgrew" the 3.6" of travel and got a 5 Spot. I never really liked XC riding, though. I always liked technical riding and started to enjoy air time. There's not much difference in efficiency between the 5* and the Flux. The Flux is snappier, more optimized for climbing. 5* is more squish, slacker, more confidence inspiring, esecially with a tall fork up front. 5* has a tromendous wheelbase, so if you're riding in tight woods, the Flux will be easier to manouver. If you're not concerned about getting to the top in double time, I would say get a Spot and then you have a lot more options as far as your riding style goes, with a slight penalty in uphill speed.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ

Wait a minute!

Ok BikeNut, I thought I was the only guy on a Klein hardtail who's about to get a Turner....

Get in line!

I'm going Flux. I do more XX racing, Xterra type stuff. I hopped on a 5 spot and I didn't like the head tube angle. Seemed really weird to me. But definitely find a place where you can demo both bikes. Forums are nice but nobody knows how you like to ride and what feels good except for you.

Best of Luck.

PS- Now I just need to sell my Attitude.

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by SportDerek
    Ok BikeNut, I thought I was the only guy on a Klein hardtail who's about to get a Turner....

Get in line!

I'm going Flux. I do more XX racing, Xterra type stuff. I hopped on a 5 spot and I didn't like the head tube angle. Seemed really weird to me. But definitely find a place where you can demo both bikes. Forums are nice but nobody knows how you like to ride and what feels good except for you.

Best of Luck.

PS- Now I just need to sell my Attitude.
    'Spot might actually be faster overall at 'Keystone' Xterra...

Ride Hard Live Easy

Similar problem

"I'm going Flux. I do more XX racing, Xterra type stuff. I hopped on a 5 spot and I didn't like the head tube angle. Seemed really weird to me. But definitely find a place where you can demo both bikes. Forums are nice but nobody knows how you like to ride and what feels good except for you. "

I ride a Truth now and want a little more travel in the back but I like my geometry(i.e. head angle). I was wondering if I got a 5 spot with a TALAS on the front if that'd allow me to have the geometry of the Flux/Truth when the fork is in the 100mm mode and a full blown 5spot in the 130mm mode. Thanks, JW Murrah

... I guess you won't be
    the flux is a whippersnapper, the spot is a lazyboy bike....choose appropriately....

I chose a spot!

seems that how these posts go is that the "flux or spot" people really want a spot, and the "spot or rfx/six-pack" folk really want a rfx/six-pack......

go by the numbers...get a spot.
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac

I'm curious... What makes you say that a Spot would be faster? I thought the Spot was heavier and less agile. ? Mind you... I spent about 4 minutes on a Spot compared to a 4 hour ride on a Flux.

Silence and Thunder...
    ...I'll bet you $5 that you'd be happier with a Flux.

...at least for awhile....
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just went through this. Both bikes excel in all categories and can be ridden pretty much anywhere. So the split really is between agility (Flux) and even greater ability to descend/huck (Spot).

I chose agility.

...master of none
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    I raced the Xterra Keystone this year on my Flux (and pre-rode the course a few times) and as a previous Spot owner I don't believe it could beat the Flux on this course.

Just my opinion, of course, but the Flux will get you up that big hill faster and get you down it in roughly the same time, perhaps marginally slower. The climb took me 1:09 and the descent took 0:23, so you can see where minutes gained on the climb (Flux) are worth more than seconds gained on the descent (Spot).

The Spot is a damn fun bike, though! Um, but so's the Flux...

bock

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by bock
    I raced the Xterra Keystone this year on my Flux (and pre-rode the course a few times) and as a previous Spot owner I don't believe it could beat the Flux on this course.

Just my opinion, of course, but the Flux will get you up that big hill faster and get you down it in roughly the same time, perhaps marginally slower. The climb took me 1:09 and the descent took 0:23, so you can see where minutes gained on the climb (Flux) are worth more than seconds gained on the descent (Spot).

The Spot is a damn fun bike, though! Um, but so's the Flux...

bock
    I have ridden/raced the Keystone Xterra course on a hard-tail (~24 lbs), 6” Titus Quasimoto (~32 lbs) and a 3.6” Turner Burner (~30 lbs). My fastest times on the bike course (and overall) were all on the Titus. While a completely unscientific comparison, I found that I spent an inordinate amount of time on the (8 mile?) climb in the granny/granny combo on all the bikes (despite my many hours of training and several years of experience - I suck). Hence the climb times were never that different. The hard-tail descents were brutal (the course sadistically aims for all the blacks on the way down), the Burner descents were tolerable (but not fun) but the Titus descents were a blast and fast. If you are more of an elite triathlete like Bock, the light weight of the Flux will probably make a dramatic difference in climbing and overall time but for slow-pokes such as myself the 5 Spot will make the descents fun without much compromise to the climbing. I don’t think I will race the Burner at Keystone next year – it just wasn’t any fun (I was really having to pick my lines and occasionally hang on for dear life). I would prefer the 5 Spot and would actually consider a lightly built RFX/ Pack. I want to be rewarded in the descent for the miserable climb. Bear in mind that you gain way more kudos for racing a ‘heavy’ bike! Another oddity last year was actually winning a (flat-course) sprint triathlon on the Titus – turns out I ran a shorter course and rode a longer course than I was supposed to and was disqualified .

...master of none
    Great post, rmac. Your experience provides a better basis for decision-making than mine, because you've actually compared lap times on a wide variety of bikes. I'm simply making my best guess based on how the Keystone course felt on my Flux and how I remember my Spot felt on similar trails. I am looking forward to comparing bikes/times on the Moab Xterra course, however. This year I was on my Spot (it got stolen the night I got home ) and next year I'll be on the Flux.

It's very interesting that you were fastest on your Quasimoto! I would have picked the Burner to win out of those three bikes on that course. For what it's worth, I definitely had fun on the Keystone descent on my Flux!

Did you race Keystone this year? What course changes have they made over the last few years, and how much do you think they affected lap times, if at all? It would be interesting to see your lap times on each bike, and compare climb vs. downhill splits if you took them (I'm probably the only geek who does that, though).

Hey what was the sprint triathlon you did last year? I assume it was off-road, and I've only seen one off-road sprint around these parts, the Fat Tire Triathlon in Ft. Collins, but it would be good to find out about more.

bock

My cup runneth over
    It's very interesting that you were fastest on your Quasimoto! I would have picked the Burner to win out of those three bikes on that course. For what it's worth, I definitely had fun on the Keystone descent on my Flux!
    bock
    Not to take anything away from the fun you had on the Flux, I think my problem was trying to hold the same speeds downhill on the Burner as I did on the Titus - just overwhelmed the Burner (and me).
    Did you race Keystone this year? What course changes have they made over the last few years, and how much do you think they affected lap times, if at all? It would be interesting to see your lap times on each bike, and compare climb vs. downhill splits if you took them (I'm probably the only geek who does that, though).
    bock
    I rode/raced (training) the course a couple of times this year before the race exclusively on the Burner and missed the Titus' 6 inch travel so much that I almost hated it and lost motivation to race - no races at all this year.
    2001 - 2002 bike course lengthened by half a mile or so (on the climb!). I was slower on the hard tail on the shorter course than on the Titus on the longer course. Each year they adjusted the course (nearly always to reduce fire road and increase singletrack) and it bummed me out never to have direct comparisons to make.
    Hey what was the sprint triathlon you did last year? I assume it was off-road, and I've only seen one off-road sprint around these parts, the Fat Tire Triathlon in Ft. Collins, but it would be good to find out about more.
    bock
    Last year I did the Roxboough offroad sprint tri. There's another one out by Buffalo Creek - check out youtriit.com.

... I guess you won't be
    no you don't!
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Went Burner

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedThrills
    Just went through this. Both bikes excel in all categories and can be ridden pretty much anywhere. So the split really is between agility (Flux) and even greater ability to descend/huck (Spot).

I chose agility.
    After starting this post, reality set in and I realized that, though posible, a new Flux or 5 Spot is more money than I can reasonably afford with out my kids skipping some meals. I continued to read the Turner forum and learned that some Burners still existed at Supergo stores only. I called every store and found one. After parting with $799 plus shipping, it's in the mail. I am very excited to get such a quality bike without breaking the bank.

...master of none
    After starting this post, reality set in and I realized that, though posible, a new Flux or 5 Spot is more money than I can reasonably afford with out my kids skipping some meals. I continued to read the Turner forum and learned that some Burners still existed at Supergo stores only. I called every store and found one. After parting with $799 plus shipping, it's in the mail. I am very excited to get such a quality bike without breaking the bank.
    Well, congrats and welcome to the Homer fold. You can feel good about the $1000 you saved every time you see your kids eating!

Be sure to post pics and a ride report once she's built up.

bock

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Hi, I live in Europe and am also looking for a Burner. Can you give me any tips for a Burner at supergo's. Do you have phonenumbers of shops where they still have Burners?

thanks a lot.

mtbr member

5-spot / El Saltamontes

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Sounds like a Spot would most suit your terrain.
    My 5-spot with a PUSH Rp3/PUSH Vanilla works wonderfully but it is a fairly average bike with a ROMIC or a standard Rp3 with limitations both up and down. With the PUSH it is very efficient uphill and I don't think having a Flux with 4" travel and steeper geometry would improve its performance that much ... but you'll loose downhill with the Flux. So: 5-spot ... although if you don't shell out the cash for a PUSHED RP3 the Flux might better.

But ... there is a but, get it now! if you wait until 2006 (when Turners go faux-bar) the bike to get is a Ventana El Saltamontes, which is better built (in house .. no bushings at $75 a pop) and will allow you to have variable travel and costum geometry of you so desire.

Or consider El Saltamontes now, or ... a Titus Motolite or the great Blur LT in the future ... both are cheaper (by more than $500!) and arguably better designs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Davide; 10-30-2005 at 08:31 AM.