Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Flux 3.0 Build Thread

82K views 396 replies 73 participants last post by  xprmntl 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
What a fun bike. I bought this mostly for my son, who'll race it in the SoCal High School league the next couple of years. He really likes it -- he's faster, handling tech stuff better, and his back doesn't hurt any more.

I stole it for a couple of local rides -- the pictures are from the end of the Brown Mt. trail last weekend -- and it surprised me how well it handles our trails. I sliced minutes off a couple long climbs -- it pedals very efficiently. It didn't slow me down on the slice and dice descents either. Stable, precise, really nice.

Here's the current spec, reusing parts off his old bike:

Frame Size & Color: Large, Raw
Rear Shock: Fox CTD, no Kashima
Fork: Fox 32 Float CTD, 120 mm
Brakes: Avid Elixir
Shifters: SRAM X9 9-speed
Cranks: SRAM X7
Chainguide: None
Front Derailleur: SRAM X9
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9
Pedals: Time ATAC usually -- Shimano PD A530s drilled and pinned in the pix
Stem: Truvative Stylo 60mm
Handlebar: Truvative Stylo
Seatpost: Banshee take-off
Saddle: Felt
Bottom Bracket: GXP
Chainring: 22, 32, 44, mix of SRAM and Shimano
Cassette: SRAM 980, 11-34
Headset: Cane Creek 40
Grips: SoCal colors!
Front Tire: Schwalbe Racing Ralph, 2.2
Front Rim: Stan's Arch
Front Hub: DT Swiss, 15QR
Rear Tire: Schwalbe Racing Ralph, 2.2
Rear Rim: Stan's Arch
Rear Hub: DT Swiss, 142X12

Weight: ???

Future changes: We'll be replacing stuff that breaks, like the rings. Might go from 9 to 10 speed at some point, but we'll keep the triple.

Nice bike DT!!!

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Wheel
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

#19 ·
I am a Belgian rider. Here is my third Flux (after the 2005 HL & 2009 DW Link...) that I received by the end of september.

Frame Size & Color: Large, Raw
Rear Shock: Fox CTD, with Kashima
Fork: Fox 32 Float CTD, 120 mm
Brakes: Shimano XT 160
Shifters: SRAM Gripshift X0 9-speed
Cranks: Race Face Next (triple with inner & medium rings from Rotor)
Front Derailleur: SRAM X9
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X0
Pedals: Crankbro' Eggbeater
Stem: Race Face Turbine 90mm
Handlebar: Race Face Next Rizer
Seatpost: Race Face Next
Saddle: WTB Devo
Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT
Cassette: SRAM 980, 11-34
Grips: Lizard Skins Lock-on shorty
Tires: Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.1
Rims: Stan's Arch EX
Hubs: Hope Pro red adonized
Weight: 25.8 lb (with pedals)

Future changes: probably 1x10 speed.

In a few words: IN-CRE-DI-BLE! This new Flux is far beyond the (both) previous models that I owned.
This new Flux is more stiffer, nervous and fast than the former ones. It has a better pedaling response too: while riding in the uphill sections (in the wood but also on the roads) I said to myself: waow, DT just created the first bike with electric assistance... wich works without any electric assistance.
In the downhill, this Flux marries the best of the 2005 model (the stability) and the 2009 model (wich was very nimble). Its lenghtened wheelbase, its 27.5 wheels and its 120 mm suspensions make it a better descender.
In brief, Turner did not simply put wheels of 27.5 on the former Flux, but he took advantage of this change of size of wheels to improve completly the functioning of the bike.
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

#20 ·
In the downhill, this Flux marries the best of the 2005 model (the stability) and the 2009 model (wich was very nimble). Its lenghtened wheelbase, its 27.5 wheels and its 120 mm suspensions make it a better descender.
Nice looking Flux! Have you measured the wheelbase on your large? The 46" listed on the website seems incredibly long.

I had an '05 and a '10 as well, two of the most fun (and fastest!) bikes I've owned. Would love to swing a leg over this latest version, but on paper it looks like it might give up a bit too much (for me) nimbleness to the earlier versions.

Obviously some of that is unavoidable with bigger wheels, more travel, and slacker angles; and of course a certain degree is probably even desirable for many riders. It just seems like there could be "too much of a good thing" going on in this case, at least for what I'd want a Flux to do.

#80 · (Edited)
Here's my XC build for the new Flux.

Alright, now that I've put in a couple of rides and have something to say about the new Flux, here's the decidedly XC build:

Frame Size & Color: Medium, Ball Burnished
Rear Shock: Fox CTD Evolution
Fork: RockShox SID RCT3 Solo Air 120
Brakes: Formula R1 w/Ashima rotors
Shifter: XTR M980 (front only)
Cranks/BB: KCNC K2
Chainring: Raceface narrow-wide 34T
Chain: KMC X10.93
Rear Derailleur: XTR M786 Shadow (clutch type)
Pedals: Crank Bros Egg 3 w/Ti spindles
Stem: Syntace F99 105mm
Handlebar: KCNC SC Bone 600mm
Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece 30.9 x 350
Saddle: WTB Shadow V
Cassette: XTR M980, 11-36
Grips: Ouri foam
Front Tire: Schwalbe Nobby Nic, 2.25
Rim: Stan's Crest
Rear Hub: Stans 3.30ti, 15QR
Rear Tire: Kenda Nevegal, 2.1
Rear Rim: Stan's Crest
Rear Hub: Stans 3.30ti, 142x12

Weight: 23.5 lb

Future changes: replace old stem, probably w/something shorter. Replace old cranks w/something newer & more reliable.

Parts are a combination of pieces taken from old builds and parts bought new or used for this build. The hubs came from a set of Stans Podium MMX 26" wheels taken apart and rebuilt with 650B Crest rims by a buddy of mine, who also built up the bike.

In the few rides I have had (on unfamiliar, flat trails) I can say the ride is solid and locked to the ground, both front and rear. It climbs incredibly well...just digs in and motors uphill with deceptively little effort. Harder to judge downhill performance just yet as northern Florida isn't exactly mountainous. I have little doubt that it will soak up more than I'll ever be able to put it through. It will take me some time and rides on familiar trails to get the suspension tuned to my liking.

The best part? My 12-yo son is riding the '11 Flux and I foresee many father-son rides to come.

- Matt B.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle fork
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel
Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Bicycle wheel
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim
View attachment 857558 View attachment 857559

#219 ·
So, I finally got my polished Flux, it took almost 4 months to get down here (they didn't have the polished on stock), it was the only missing part to start the build, I'll use some of the old components, handlebar-stem, seatpost-saddle and crankset, the rest is brand new, I was hoping to keep it WW, but, starting with a 2930 gr frame doesn't help, my guess, slightly above 22 lbs and of course the mandatory couch shot...

Attachments

#367 ·
Nice photo of the bike next to the trailhead sign, it reminds me to up my IMBA membership!
Yes, I can be a dick and complain about IMBA sanitizing the rocks and roots out of trails, but IMBA gets trails built and that is really really awesome. They are our soldiers marching headlong into the maelstrom of hate and indifference directed at us mountain bikers and I am glad to send them my membership money again. Today.

DT

#368 · (Edited)
Nice photo of the bike next to the trailhead sign, it reminds me to up my IMBA membership!
Yes, I can be a dick and complain about IMBA sanitizing the rocks and roots out of trails, but IMBA gets trails built and that is really really awesome. They are our soldiers marching headlong into the maelstrom of hate and indifference directed at us mountain bikers and I am glad to send them my membership money again. Today.

DT
So true David! I need to renew my membership as well.

#384 ·
In case anyone is wondering, Schwalbe 2.6 Rocket Ron and Nobby Nic fit the Flux 3.0 with lots of room to spare. At the weld, which is the narrowest point near the sidewall, I measure 8mm on the drive side and 10mm on the non-drive side. No issue at the bridge either. In fact, there are very nearly the same circumference as 2.35s. The sidewall measures 2.6 and the tread a little less.

The nobby nic came in at 773 gm and the rocket ron at 684 gm. These are less than 100gm heavier than the 2.25 nobby nic and hans damp they replaced. I feel the weight a bit, but they roll very well and really smooth out the trail. They feel much better than the Maxxis DHF 2.3 I tried. So far running 20psi rr and 18 psi ft on 27mm rims. The grip is excellent.

Cheers!

#385 ·
In case anyone is wondering, Schwalbe 2.6 Rocket Ron and Nobby Nic fit the Flux 3.0 with lots of room to spare. At the weld, which is the narrowest point near the sidewall, I measure 8mm on the drive side and 10mm on the non-drive side. No issue at the bridge either. In fact, there are very nearly the same circumference as 2.35s. The sidewall measures 2.6 and the tread a little less.

The nobby nic came in at 773 gm and the rocket ron at 684 gm. These are less than 100gm heavier than the 2.25 nobby nic and hans damp they replaced. I feel the weight a bit, but they roll very well and really smooth out the trail. They feel much better than the Maxxis DHF 2.3 I tried. So far running 20psi rr and 18 psi ft on 27mm rims. The grip is excellent.

Cheers!
I've been running the NN 2.6 on Derby rims.............adds a new dimension to the Flux. I'm not sure I could go back to a 2.30"......

#3 · (Edited)
Here's what I got thus far.

XL frame. Polished

Fox talas 34

Chris King black inset

Chris king black hubs

Hope Evo M4 brakes. Black

Stan's crest rims. Black

Reusing parts off my current flux: Thomson x4 stem , carbon bars, xo shifters, derailleurs and race face cranks, chris king bottom bracket. black.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks. I'm hoping to build something that spans the gap between my current Flux and Foes FXR.

I'm selling both bikes and building this thing to be my "one bike." Atleast for the time being.:thumbsup:

#8 ·
I'm subscribed... this bike is going to be beautiful.

I'm still on a 2008 TNT Flux, which remains one of the best bikes I've ridden and owned. However, Outerbike sold me on the need for a 27.5 120mm trailbike.

It'll go down to the wire between the Flux and the 5010C. I wish the stays were a hair shorter on the Turner, as the 5010C was a bit more playful. That said, I'm sold on the DW link and can't say enough about Turner CS and quality.

#9 ·
I'm subscribed... this bike is going to be beautiful.

I'm still on a 2008 TNT Flux, which remains one of the best bikes I've ridden and owned. However, Outerbike sold me on the need for a 27.5 120mm trailbike.

It'll go down to the wire between the Flux and the 5010C. I wish the stays were a hair shorter on the Turner, as the 5010C was a bit more playful. That said, I'm sold on the DW link and can't say enough about Turner CS and quality.
yah, the Solo looks like a great bike. That's sort of what I'm shooting for - just out of DW and aluminum!

#10 ·
NWfreeride---one plus to the Turner Flux is the external bottom bracket. I also have a 2008 Turner Flux (TNT suspension) and put a Chris King bottom bracket in it that's so easy to service with all the rain/mud in WA. I love my bike, but, I too, am looking at some larger wheels.

#17 ·
I just couldnt decide which fork to get, so atleast this way I can test all the different travel options out. If I decide on one, I can convert the fork to a float - at the travel I like.

Or maybe I'll like the talas, who knows?

And hopefully this info will help other Flux owners. Would love to see more Flux 3.0 builds!

#22 ·
Update on the Fox Talas 34!

If you guys want to do this - you should really buy a 2014 model, not a 2013 - like I did!

The sales guy at Fox was confused. But thankfully they are taking care of me.

If you buy the 2014 Talas, you can make a simple change to detune it to 120/140.

If you buy the 2013, you have to replace the whole Talas system.

I'll have more details when the kit ships.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.