Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Flux 3.0 Build Thread

82K views 396 replies 73 participants last post by  xprmntl 
#1 · (Edited)
#73 · (Edited)
Re: Correct headset

I just got my 27.5 Flux built up as well...(will post pix after return from Christmas trip to FLA, when I will actually be able to ride the bike!).

A lightweight, moderate cost, non-POS headset was the hardest part to find for the build. I gave up the plan of saving any weight there and went with Turner's recommendation. Aside from the King Inset 7, I felt the best option for me was the one Turner spec'd: Cane Creek 40 Series ZS44/28.6/H8/K Short Cover Top and 40 Series EC44/40/H12/K Bottom. There are 110 Series versions of these as well.

Pix and report on the bike after I actually get to ride it on a trail, which just doesn't happen in Ohio Valley freezing rain & winter slop.

Matt B.

#74 ·
I just got my 27.5 Flux built up as well...(will post pix after return from Christmas trip to FLA, when I will actually be able to ride the bike!).

A lightweight, moderate cost, non-POS headset was the hardest part to find for the build. I gave up the plan of saving any weight here and went with Turner's recommendation. Aside from the King Inset 7, I felt the best option for me was the one Turner spec'd: Cane Creek 40 Series ZS44/28.6/H8/K Short Cover Top and 40 Series EC44/40/H12/K Bottom. There are 110 Series versions of these as well.

Pix and report on the bike after I actually get to ride it on a trail, which just doesn't happen in Ohio Valley freezing rain & winter slop.

Matt B.
Looking forward to seeing your build!

#77 ·
Nice build. I too look at the geo on the turner and see how it is a bit lower and longer than even a 5010 and wonder if it would be quick enough handling for what I want. But then again, if it were my money I would have put an SR Suntour Axon Werks 120mm fork on there (same price as a TALAS), Pacenti CL25 rims (maybe TL28s if I know I'm gonna be rough), and Magura brakes. But I lean very XC race. I wonder if the lower headtube and kenimatics make that much difference to the handling.

#78 ·
Thanks.

I have to imagine this bike could be built to suit many tastes.

A lighter build and it would rip on XC.

It does have a pretty slack head tube. A low BB. And a long top tube. These are all benefits, in my book. But you do have to be cognizant of the BB height - as you will smack your pedals now and again. But the trade off is amazing handling and stability.

I've actually gotten my fastest times both uphill and downhill on this bike. It's no slouch in either direction.

I was quite nervous to sell off two great bikes (2009 flux and 2011 foes fxr) to finance this bike. Thinking I could create my "one bike."

But, I think I've done it. 6 rides in, an I am not at all disappointed. This bike is awesome.

I'm looking forward to seeing some lighter, more XC'ish builds.

#83 ·
jazclrint, the stem was the only 25.4 I had on. Thinking of going down to a 90 or maybe 80 after riding a few times. Bars of that width are practically a requirement in my area - trails in woods are tight and twisty around here. Last time I rode a bike w/660mm bars, I hooked bar ends and went down repeatedly.

With you on the grips Thunder...gotta be cushy for my mitts too!

#85 ·
I've put a deposit down for a new Turner Flux! Recently my 2008 was stolen (sadly), but my full replacement insurance is allowing me to buy a new one (happily!). I've demoed so many different bikes in the last year (primarily 29ers) and have really liked just a few. Mostly I demo just to daydream about a new bike, but now I actually had to choose something. I decided the 29er wheel size just doesn't work for me. I'm 5' 10" and 145 lbs and don't like the effort involved in handling them or getting the wheels up to speed, especially at the end of a long ride when you are tired. The one bike I demoed that I loved the most was the 27.5" Giant Anthem Advanced 0 model. I even wrote a review on mtbr saying it's the only bike I've ever ridden that I liked more than my 2008 Flux (blasphemy, I know). With my race team discount at my local bike shop, I could of gotten it. I was thiiiiiiiiiis close to doing it too. It'd make a killer race bike, but the truth is I'm never going to be more than a mid-level expert racer (I can't train enough hours to be more then that so a 2lb lighter bike isn't going to matter). I decided I want a bike to have fun on #1 and then worry about how to make it go fast. I decided to go with the Turner Flux again even though I've never demoed it. I liked the idea of 120mm front/rear + slacker head angle + slightly longer wheel base so you fit "in" the bike rather then "on" it. I loved my old one (even with the TNT suspension---pre DW link) and I decided I wanted to stick with a Turner because I trust Dave in his design. I talked to them in Calif to have some final questions answered and then decided to pull the trigger today with a local bike shop. I went with the raw aluminum finish (I liked it on my old one because I didn't care then about scratches), an xt build (because I don't want to pay for xtr or xx1 later when they wear out), but I instead went for the Kashima upgrade on the shock and spent my money on the upgrade to enve/dt swiss 240 hub wheels. I'll look to get a dropper post after the bike arrives (I didn't do the KS LEV upgrade on the website cause I like the set positions of my old Gravity Dropper---especially the set 1" drop. I'm even thinking about the new 9point8 post as I like the idea of set 5mm drops).

I'm excited for it to come. I just wanted to share, that when push comes to shove, I trust that another Turner will make me happy :)

#86 ·
thanks for sharing

Hey south acres, I remember you from the Anthem thread! I ordered a Flux last week myself so I guess we both found our way to the same conclusion. Congrats-- I look forward to seeing your build. Mine will take a few months to get together so I'll have to be a bit patient.

#89 · (Edited)
Anyone have a stock weight for a medium flux with either X0 or XX1 build? I am on the fence between this and a czar right now, but since I'd put a 120mm SID on the czar anyway maybe the flux is the way to go for only about a pound penalty and increased durability/trail worthiness.

I also see the widest tire rated for this is 2.2-- has anyone fit a wider one on the flux? Seems odd this is only supposed to fit 2.2 but the czar can go 2.25.

#90 ·
There's about a 6/10th of a pound difference between the czar frame and the flux frame. But the Czar being bigger wheeled is going to have heavier tires, rims and fork (all things being equal).

I think at the end of the day the final build weight really has to do with your personal preference, and not so much the frame.

I'll post pics of a 2.2" fitting in the frame. There's tons of room.

#96 ·
Thanks for the tire info/pic-- much appreciated. Looks like they updated the website to rate it up to 2.3" now anyway.

Just placed the order! Medium flux, black ano, XX1, 120 mm SID fork. Will put it on the scale when it arrives. My first foray into 27.5" wheels-- hope I like em!

#98 ·
As I said above, I ordered XX1 on mine. I wanted to get a few wolf tooth direct mount chainrings for this. My frame isn't here yet but was hoping to get my parts together before my bike arrived. Does anyone know if the medium flux would take short spindle or long spindle chainrings? Both of these rings say PF30, just not sure which works here...

Direct Mount for SRAM BB30 Short Spindle Cranks ? wolftoothcomponents.com
Direct Mount for SRAM GXP Cranks ? wolftoothcomponents.com

I think those are the 2 options. I wasnt going to run stock chainring for this because I want a bashguard and wolf tooth is the only one I know of.

#100 ·
Rode my new medium Turner Flux for the first time today. It took me awhile to get the seat height and seat back/forward position right where I wanted it. After that the bike felt very balanced. I'm really pleased after my initial first couple of hours on of it. There is a certain "bmx feeling" that my older 26" 08 Flux had that is missing a little (kind of a slalom/acceleration feeling when you are on a windy flowy single track---if you know what I mean), but I can feel the added momentum of the bigger wheels when up to speed and the bike was immediately more fun to launch off of stuff than my old one. I'm not sure it climbs as fast as my old one when really going for it (the 'o8 bike had 100mm travel and steeper geometry which put me in a bent over position for optimal racing speed climbing), but I also could tell immediately I felt more comfortable on the downhills and letting it fly. I'm also glad I didn't go with a 29er. I'd demoed a lot of 29ers and was never that excited by them, but after I ordered the Flux I started to question myself if I should of gotten the Czar instead. I'm not a large person and the medium 27.5" already feels big in a psychological way. The wheelbase (axle to axle) is only 1" longer than my old bike (and the same as a large Czar), but the bike overall is longer with the 1 1/2" larger tires added to it. The bars are 1 1/2" wider too (though I rather like it that way). I just can tell as I'm carrying it down the stairs that it's bigger and I'm like "glad it's not a 29er". And yeah, it's an odd way of looking at it, but the only mtn bike I ever really rode was my older Flux and I used to tell people it may look small, but it was really "fun sized" instead!. Overall I'm really pleased. I needed to replace my stolen bike and I believe I made a great choice sticking with a Turner. I still need to get the suspension dialed in more. It's a bit different of a bike then I've always had, but I can already see where I'm going to love this bike as much as I did my last one. :)

#103 ·
Yeah sorry, I meant to ask "Has anyone else tried it". Just was looking for more opinions since you said it was felt a bit tall which made me worry about feeling like the front wheel would want to pull of the ground and wheelie on steep climbs. Im sure my 120 SID will be fine for 95% of my riding, but I was just curious.

#104 ·
It's not the best for climbing. That's why I went talas.

I'm thinking the 34 probably has a higher axle to crown than the 32's. and I've been running a continental mountain king 2.4 on the front, which is ginormous.

#106 ·
I've been overforking by 20mil on my last couple bikes. Drop the stem. Use a dropper post. Works good around the bay area where we have steep, long climbs, and aggressive descents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.