Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flux 27.5

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Flux 27.5

Its here! After months of demos, reading, and looking I finally picked up my 2013 Turner Flux 27.5 last week.
    I communicated directly with Turner Suspension for the ordering process; my bike would be a size small, XT build kit with the optional Kashima upgrade in the 2 x 10 configuration.
    When I got the bike home, the ONLY thing I had to adjust was the air pressure in the fork and shock. There were no adjustments needed to the drivetrain or brakes; everything was set up perfect.
    I had the opportunity to examine the frame and rear triangle before assembly and have to admit the quality and engineering is very impressive. Not everyone gets to see the raw product before it becomes a complete bicycle.
    Enough with the typing, time to ride! Thanks DT!
    Flux 27.5-img_2227.jpgFlux 27.5-1-img_2230.jpg

mtbr member
    nice ride....waiting for your ride report as I am also interested in the 27.5 Flux the same size as yours....

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    What is your height - if you don't mind? And is that 90mm stem and 700-720 mm handle bar? How's the cockpit feel with that setup on small Flux?
    Would be great if you could share the ride report
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    This bike climbs comfortably, efficiently and holds traction in the switchbacks both ascending and descending. The pedaling platform feels more effective on the climbs.
    Grips in the turns, rolls over chunk much like a 29er and far better than a 26 inch wheel bike.

The new frame style allows for plenty of standover clearance which is a big plus in techy must-get-off-the-bike-now situations; the lower bottom bracket height makes it easier to maneuver and helps keep you centered on the bike (instead of on top).
    So far, the few rides I have done have had some pretty steep climbs and a variety of downhill trails and I am very pleased with the Flux. Seems to fit most of the conditions here in So Cal.
    Currently, the bike does have a 90mm stem and the bars are 730(?) which are too wide for me (52) and I will probably wind up cutting them down and evaluating the stem length at that time.

Kiwi that Flew

Flux 27.5

Quote Originally Posted by H2oChick View Post
    Currently, the bike does have a 90mm stem and the bars are 730(?) which are too wide for me (52) and I will probably wind up cutting them down and evaluating the stem length at that time.
    My advice is to borrow a 70mm stem before you cut your bars. I am a massive fan of short stems/ wide bar combos. After spending 15 years on 90 and 100mm stems I now much prefer shorter ones, currently having a 50 and 75 on my bikes.

Just my 2c.
    Great looking bike by the way.
    Deano
    Last edited by deanopatoni; 08-28-2013 at 02:26 PM.

~~~~~~~~
    Agree ^, get a 50 or even 40 mm stem first. My wife and I are both 5-4 and running 40mm stems on the burner and spot, she's running 725 bar width I'm at 760. With that stem in place see pay attention to your hand placement. After several rides you notice that your hands are inboard or you are dodging trees then make the bar cut. 5-2 on a small, 90mm stem is really long.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'll swap out the stem this weekend and give it a spin!
    Thanks for the suggestion -

mtbr member
    The bike looks great! I'm looking forward to more rider's reviews of this bike here. In the meantime, what's your bike weigh?

mtbr member
    Have you checked the weight? Which fork and wheels are you running?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have not had a chance to weigh it on a scale but my guess would be around 25lbs.
    The fork is FOX 32 Float FIT CTD, 15qr, 120mm with the Kashima upgrade - very smooth and plenty of travel. The lock out feature makes the platform surprisingly rigid.
    Wheels are Stans Crest with DT Swiss 240 hubs - great compliment to the Flux set up.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info; that fox fork is a 26r right?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

jfb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hello,

I am a biker from Belgium (sorry for the approximative english ). I have just received my new 27.5 Flux. It is my third Flux after a 2005 HL model & a 2009 DWL model.

I opted for components which are a compromise between solidity and lightnesse: Fox 120 FIT CTD, ZTR Arch Ex wheels with Hope Pro II hubs & 2.1 Schwalbe Rocket Ron TLR tires, Sram (3x9) X0 transmission, Race face Next peripherals and Shimano XT brakes. The weight oft he build bike is 11.7 kgs (25.8 lb).

After my first ride, a single word occurs to me: IN-CRE-DI-BLE ! This new Flux is far beyond the (both) previous models that I owned. I didnt thought it would be possible and nevertheless Turner did it

First of all, this new Flux is more stiffer, nervous and fast than the former ones. It has a better pedaling response too: while riding in the uphill sections (in the wood but also on the roads) I said to myself: waow, DT just created the first bike with electric assistance wich works without any electric assistance.

In the downhill, this Flux marries the best of the 2005 model (the stability) and the 2009 model (wich was very nimble). Its lenghtened wheelbase, its 27.5 wheels and its 120 mm suspensions make it a better descender.
    And the wheels of 27.5 are, according to me, a perfect compromise between the 26 and 29ers.

In brief, Turner did not simply put wheels of 27.5 on the former Flux, but he took advantage of this change of size of wheels to improve completly the functioning of the bike.

As a fan of this brand my judgment is probably subjective, but for me DT is definitively brilliant. I really did not think that such a result was possible.

Here are a few pictures of the bike.

Flux 27.5-sam_0574.jpg

Flux 27.5-sam_0582.jpg

Flux 27.5-roue-arri%E8re.jpg

Flux 27.5-sam_0573.jpg

NB: same message was posted on the 650 forum.

Mt Wilson Motoboy
    Very cool! How much was the custom color? I plan to order mine soon.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]"My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    hey Ted, H2oChick IS a powdercoater! so we delivered raw frame bits to her, she painted and shipped back to us for complete assembly.

JFB, how do you like the Grip Shift?

DT

Mt Wilson Motoboy
    Flux 27.5-poofta1.jpg

Thanks DT, I can deal with a black powdercoat. An orange Flux a-la Czar would be sick, but OK. Man, I lost my old Burner in a garage fire and miss it dearly. Such a great bike. Had it since 2004! You are are a great builder and I will re-up once the insurance check comes through. I certainly got my money's worth! Viva Turner Bikes.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Mt Wilson Motoboy
    H2oChick... Sorry for the thread jack.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    ^^ no worries! Sorry about your Burner burnin' but now you can upgrade!

slowrider: The final weight on my Flux is 25.5 lbs without pedals

jfb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hi DT,
    I've spent my all MTB rider life with gripshift. I cannot imagine not using it on a MTB.
    The only thing that hold me from going on a 2 x 10 Sram transmission (for the moment, but I will upgrade to it, in the next few months) was the indecent price of the new set of gripshift (about 110 here in Europe, where you can find an X0 rear derailleur for about 150... It's not acceptable to have such a small difference in price between a derailleur and some 'simple' gripshifts')...
    But gripshift are defenitly great for me & it helps having a visually 'cleaner/simplier' handelbar

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

1000 Mile Update - Flux 27.5

So 1000 + miles later, I still enjoy this bike. My goal when I purchased the Flux 27.5 was to have one bike to cover cross country trails and some all-mountain terrain - this bike does just that (and more).
    The low bottom bracket height keeps the platform low and nimble and the head tube angle gives me a little extra confidence on the descents.
    The Flux is fun switchbacks and not sure if its the wheelbase or the longer bars that make them more enjoyable to tackle. Climbing is efficient; each pedal stroke feels deliberate on the dirt. My only changes so far have been rear tires and cut the bars down a bit.
    Although the photo below looks like I crashed into the scrub, it was the only spot to rest while staying off the trail out of downhill traffic.
    Flux 27.5-photo-2-768x1024-.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice bike and nice write up on the 1000 miles. I too just got done building a Flux a few months ago for just that kind of riding (sort of a lightweight Horst Link 5 Spot replacement). I've had a few pedal strikes here and there compared to my Spot but so far the bike's working great.

I also cut my Thompson bars down 4" and run a 70 mm stem. Because I am a smaller rider (5'5"), running a shorter stem seems to put the riding position a bit better, especially in the super tight technical drops etc. Also, with the tight twisty stuff we have here in Hawaii, getting the wide bars in between a number of the trees is tough. Finally, I found that the long bars work great on fast, flowy stuff but takes too long to turn in the super tight techy stuff. My (shorter) arms just can't get the bars to move far enough away. Instead, I give up some stability (mostly on super steep technical climbing) for much quicker, snappier turning in and around the roots and rocks and trees we have here.

Flux 27.5-img_4150-1.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Because I am a smaller rider (5'5"), running a shorter stem seems to put the riding position a bit better, especially in the super tight technical drops etc.
    What size frame do you have? I'm seriously considering either a Flux or Burner, but do not have a local dealer to check one out. I'm 5' 5" myself.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    I also cut my Thompson bars down 4" and run a 70 mm stem. Because I am a smaller rider (5'5"), running a shorter stem seems to put the riding position a bit better, especially in the super tight technical drops etc
    FWIW, I'm 5'10" and running a 50mm 0deg stem, 700mm bars.

I was stationed at Pearl for 2 years, man, great riding there. One of my best crashes ever too, endo'd and slid about 300' down the side of the mountain on the wet palm/fern leaves. Not a scratch Took about 15 minutes to find my bike.

Never got a chance to try the other islands though.
    Last edited by shupack; 06-09-2014 at 11:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shupack View Post
    FWIW, I'm 5'10" and running a 50mm 0deg stem, 700mm bars.

I was stationed at Pearl for 2 years, man, great riding there. One of my best crashes ever too, endo'd and slid about 300' down the side of the mountain on the wet palm/fern leaves. Not a scratch Took about 15 minutes to find my bike.

Never got a chance to try the other islands though.
    Aloha shupack,

Yes, Oahu riding's fun too. Though quite crowded. Great story. If you ever make it out here (to the Big Island), give us a jingle. We'll go for some fun rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Mahalo! I have no immediate plans, but will keep you in mind if that changes. Kids are getting to the point where they could make the flight, I would love to go back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast