mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Flow's too fragile on a highline?

My new to me highline is currently riding on 823's on Hadley's, previous owner was pretty ham fisted, over half of the nipples are stripped and the front wheel is out of dish, it looks like I am in for a complete rebuild at this point and am starting to explore my rim options.

I am 175lbs out of the shower and tend to be more of a finesse rider (flows on my 5spot have not been out of true after a full year of riding including 3 downieville weekends). The highline will be used for Northstar as well as some steeper local trails. Based on the main highline thread quite a few owners are riding on DT 5.1s - which are comprable to the flows in terms of strength from what I gather. Soo would flows last me a few seasons or is there another wide UST rim that would work well without the heft of the 823s?

Now with flavor!!
    Keep the 823s

Northstar is not downieville. Especially after all the butcher ranch sanitization.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    i'd stick with the 823s. i wonder what a deemax 32 hole replacement rim is worth? they are basically 823s milled down to make them a bit lighter. still plenty strong. wish mavic saw the light and did it to the base 823

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000
    i'd stick with the 823s. i wonder what a deemax 32 hole replacement rim is worth? they are basically 823s milled down to make them a bit lighter. still plenty strong. wish mavic saw the light and did it to the base 823

I always thought deemax and 823 rims were the same thing. Do you know that they're not?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I always thought deemax and 823 rims were the same thing. Do you know that they're not?
    deemax rims have ism which is inter spoke milling. they machine material out of the rim between the spoke eyelets lightening up the rim. it is an 823 rim but it has the extra process of ism .

http://www.mavic.com/mtb/products/deemax.996194.1.aspx

http://www.mavic.com/mtb/products/ex....995010.2.aspx

if you click on the technologies bar at the bottom you'll see the deemax rims have the extra process of ism. virtually the same rim but the deemax is lighter.
    Last edited by qbert2000; 04-05-2010 at 02:13 AM.

Now with flavor!!
    right

Same rim

mtbr member
    right

Same rim

is that wink sarcastic??

Now with flavor!!
    That wink means nothing offensive, condescending, sarcastic or otherwise unpleasant.

When I say the same rim, I mean the same milled, welded, profiled, material part. Which these are. All good.

mtbr member
    That wink means nothing offensive, condescending, sarcastic or otherwise unpleasant.

When I say the same rim, I mean the same milled, welded, profiled, material part. Which these are. All good.

no problem. i just wish mavic listed the milled 823 disc as an individual item. no one shows what a deemax replacement rim costs. wish they just offered the milled version as stock

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by baltik
    My new to me highline is currently riding on 823's on Hadley's, previous owner was pretty ham fisted, over half of the nipples are stripped and the front wheel is out of dish, it looks like I am in for a complete rebuild at this point and am starting to explore my rim options.

I am 175lbs out of the shower and tend to be more of a finesse rider (flows on my 5spot have not been out of true after a full year of riding including 3 downieville weekends). The highline will be used for Northstar as well as some steeper local trails. Based on the main highline thread quite a few owners are riding on DT 5.1s - which are comprable to the flows in terms of strength from what I gather. Soo would flows last me a few seasons or is there another wide UST rim that would work well without the heft of the 823s?
    How about a complete wheelset set up with stans rim strips such as Hadley/Mavic 721. Have a set that I may be selling that only have eight days on them and are in exc. cond.

PSI
    I want that one
    Quote Originally Posted by baltik

5.1s are as soft as room temperature margarine - flows are way tougher, maybe not 821 tough but, imo, one of the best weight/strength ratios out there. still, if you're doing mostly dh its a trade off...

trail fairy
    Agree with the others on the 823s re spoke em and dial em in again!

If ya want a lighter set, build up some 721s or even better I'm running the new Sun Equaliser 31s slightly wider profile than the 721s slightly lighter too but beefier than DT 5.1 I have both, 5.1s fine for RFX/Spot but not an HL or DHR imo..

Ive been impressed with the EQ 31s mine are 32h If I had thought about it some more I'd gone 36h and still had a light wheel but strong and stiff, the deliema ya have if ya choose 36 over 32h depending on spoke type butted or straight gauge I'm a DT spoke fan, is that a 36h while being stiffer stronger less flex in corners etc, may increase the chance of a flat due to lack of give [flex] for me this is not an issue.

A 32h will give more flex and less likely to flat on impacts if ya do go through rock gardens or come p short, its not a given s h i t can still happen, maybe a 36h with triple butted or sapim would be a good compromise!

Pesonally I'll build 36h next time for DH but these are plenty strong enough no doubt.

An option, the 721 are 28mm wide, both are welded seams which is better too imo/e
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs