mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Float or Talas for 5.5 spot?

Do most spot riders use the travel adjustability or am i better off saving $ and weight by going with the float?

mtbr member
    If you do a lot of steep climbs then get the talas if not then get the float!
    I have a 36 talas on my spot but did use my 32 talas for a few rides and found the 120mm setting handy on some steep climbs. .

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    What kind of riding style do you have? And how is the terrain near your area? Steep climbs? Gnarly downhills?
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baltik
    Do most spot riders use the travel adjustability or am i better off saving $ and weight by going with the float?
    I'm have a 2007 Talas. 90% of the time I'm riding in 140mm mode 10% of the time in 120mm. I've only used 100mm out of curiosity. 120 mm feels too steep after Ive ridden in 140mm for some minutes. (But if I start out in 120 I cant feel it, funny!)

My riding is flat with a lot of short/steep climbs. I selldom use the travel adjustment. If the traveladjustment would have had a handlebar mounted control I probably would use iy more. For those occasions when I do climb for extended time the adjustment is wellcomed but I could have lived without it.

I have a 2008 float as well on another bike. I haven't tried the float on the spot but my opinion is that both forks are very suitable.

Your call
    Kasper

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have an 08 Talas on my Spot and I use it only on steep uphills. It really helps keep the front end planted, especially when you are tired or doing uphill switchbacks. While I don't use it that often (a few times per ride maybe), I'm glad I got it.

I also was not sure about getting it because of the complexity and cost, but I figured what's an extra hundred bucks when you have $$$$ tied up into the bike already. I also didn't want to regret not getting it when I hit some of the local steep, switchback climbs. Hopefully, the complexity doesn't make we wish I did not get it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I am in norcal, fair amount of single track climbing involved, that said i typically do not tinker with suspension mid ride (propedal etc) I am currently riding a 130mm float which works fine for myclimbs but concerned that the extra 10mm will make the tight switchbacks that much more difficult

TLL
    mtbr member
    Are you talking 09 or 08 TALAS? 09 TALAS has the 150, which in my mind would be a great fork for the Spot.

You might find the 120mm setting nice for some of the climbs around here, but you can get by without it, I'd guess. I use the 130mm setting on my 36 a lot (even for places like China Camp) and it is indispensable for steep climbs.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

banned
    I can never understand why people with 32 TALAS's simply call them "TALAS", when there are several forks in the line with this mechanism.

Nothing is cleared up here because there is a pick of at least a couple TALAS forks being used by people in this this thread.

mtbr member
    Pike air u-turn!

trail fairy
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I can never understand why people with 32 TALAS's simply call them "TALAS", when there are several forks in the line with this mechanism.
    Given that the OP is running a 130 float I think the assumption is 32 TALAS.

But you are right, It would be helpful this was spelled out, esp, since a few are running the 36 on Spots . . . .

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    For the terrain I ride I have never missed the adjustability of the 32 Talas on my Spot when I switched to a 32 Vanilla. Where I ride most often the continuous steep climbs last no longer than 10-15 minutes before there is a short descent or a flat section. With the Talas I often didn't bother lowering for the climbs or I forgot to lower/raise it for the climbs/descents.

If you ride in more alpine terrain, where you might climb for 2 hrs then descend for 30 minutes then the height adjustability might be a good feature.

For my shorter steep climbs I use a suicide grip, tuck my elbows in, sit right on the tip of the seat and stretch my chin forward. Then pedal!
    __o
    _-\<,
    (_)/(_)____ Sigmund | Norway

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Talas. Adjustability is invaluable...to me.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmund
    For the terrain I ride I have never missed the adjustability of the 32 Talas on my Spot when I switched to a 32 Vanilla. Where I ride most often the continuous steep climbs last no longer than 10-15 minutes before there is a short descent or a flat section. With the Talas I often didn't bother lowering for the climbs or I forgot to lower/raise it for the climbs/descents.
    !
    Good points. Really, I f you can get by without the TALAS, then the Vanilla is the way to go.

Or else the Pike coil.