mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Float R on Burner

This has probably been covered but is there any final consensus on whether a Float R (Pushed or not) works better on an '04 Burner than a Manitou 3-way?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    This has probably been covered but is there any final consensus on whether a Float R (Pushed or not) works better on an '04 Burner than a Manitou 3-way?
    Don't know about a consensus, but I much preferred the Float over the Swinger. Better all the way around, and less tinkering.

XCguy,
    Yep you are right its been covered. Quite a few people have chimed in saying that a Fox (Float R or RP3) have felt better than the 3 way. Try a quick search or look at Jerk Chicken or Marinpauls post count. I am sure there are a lots of others.

Short version Fox is better especially with the XR rockers, pushed is best. There, now you dont have to search anything.

Bite Me.
    I have a like new Float RL that I would trade for a 3-way if you're interested. I liked the 3-way personally, but not as much as the RP3, especially Pushed.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

you say a trade?

Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    I have a like new Float RL that I would trade for a 3-way if you're interested. I liked the 3-way personally, but not as much as the RP3, especially Pushed.
    I wouldn't even say that I dislike the 3-way, it's just that I have other bikes with Float Rs on them and like the fact I just set one pressure and that's it. I remember reading a post some time in the dim past that someone switched out their stock 3-way for a Float R and liked it better, but I can't remember what changed in the way the suspension handled. Any idea in which way the Float R might be better suited to the Burner? Think of it as a sideways UGI!

But, yeah, Cutthroat, a trade would work for me. Providing, of course, I can convince myself that it's the right move for my Burner. Your Float RL is 6.5" eye to eye?

Edit: I must have been asleep when I tried my first search about this subject. Finally searched with the right combination of words and voila! Multiple pages of discussion on the subject. It seems that the Float morphed from higher volume to lower volume, non-platform to platform, who knows what other changes from '03 to '06. I didn't have time to read all the discussions, but Cuttroat offering to trade me his RL now doesn't seem to be so cut and dried. More research is needed!
    Last edited by xcguy; 05-10-2006 at 12:49 PM.

Bite Me.
    Personally, I like the 3-way platform. Others prefer the simplicity and plusher feel of the Fox. The RL I have is a 2004, non-platform, but it's been sitting in a box for most of its life as a backup unit. I ran it for about a month this past fall when the RP3 was getting Pushed. It felt good, and tolerated the added leverage of the XR rockers just fine, but it did bob a little when you set it soft enough to be really plush. If you Push the RL, you lose the lock out function, but they say you no longer need it once it's done. Think it over - the shock's not going anywhere. It has the all the reducers for the Burner so you can just bolt it on.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

banned
    My Burner was a Propedal R Float version and no, I never found myself even so much as wishing I had a lockout.