Thread: Float CTD shock

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Float CTD shock

I just received a brand new Spot and noticed that it came with a Float CTD (no Kashima though). How does it compare to the rp23?
    Does it come with shim (aka DGC mod) preinstalled? IIRC the latest rp23 did.

Also, does CTD work like pro-pedal, i.e. is it best to leave it on Descent all the time to play nice with the dw-link?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

... and if we just ... info

Hey Frenk

The EVO shock on your 5 Spot is a very different shock. Fox changed from RP23 architecture to the new CTD this past year. Their thought is to have the 3 settings of the shock to better match those in the fork, but for on trail use it is really a wider range of perceptible feel from Climb (firmer than RP) and Descend, which in some of our testers minds was more open than the RP family could be. For rolling terrain when hitting jumpy and G out kinda riding using the Trail mode gives more support when smaller bump plushness is not a priority. Of course if you have a Fox CTD they would love to know you are flipping the levers in sync.

You can see this shock has a totally different top than the old RP family shock as well. The DGC mod will not work with it as there is no Xtra aircan to put the air spacers under. Air volume can be changed though, but with the new Fox design you need to use their air volume reducers which come in 5 sizes. Quick and easy, but not as cheap as DGCs mod for fine tuning the spring feel for you. Fox Float Air Volume Spacer Kit: Installed and Reviewed - Bike Rumor This article shows the RP version with 3 shims, the CTD has 5, but the process is the same.

DT

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks Dave for the detailed info!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I like it. In D it seems a little better in stutter bumps, braking bumps, and long rooty/rocky sections.

In T it is perfect for mellow trails. Seems near the old RP's "on" position.

C rocks for smooth climbs -- mostly of the road variety. IMO, having this setting available makes any bike a better candidate for use as an endurance racer.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by frenk View Post
    I just received a brand new Spot and noticed that it came with a Float CTD (no Kashima though). How does it compare to the rp23?
    Does it come with shim (aka DGC mod) preinstalled? IIRC the latest rp23 did.

Also, does CTD work like pro-pedal, i.e. is it best to leave it on Descent all the time to play nice with the dw-link?
    Mine had the large shim in it as it came from Turnerland direct to my door. Very progressive. I may remove it and go slightly smaller on the shim just to try it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Anyone looking to sell their ctd shock, I'd be interested. I can't buy the specific turner tune from the dealer and it does not appear turner is in a position to sell them either ( due to inventory or policy).

With a 30% sag on my 2011 sultan, I seem to be ripping through the travel too quickly. I have even managed to bottom it out several times. The hope is that the ctd will be a bit more progressive.

At 175# I can't imagine a CCDB would be necessary.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Try the DGC Shim Mod (thread somewhere on this forum). For the Sultan, I ended up with a shim about half the size he uses for the Spot.

It's easy, cheap, effective, and easily reversible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Try the DGC Shim Mod (thread somewhere on this forum). For the Sultan, I ended up with a shim about half the size he uses for the Spot.

It's easy, cheap, effective, and easily reversible.
    Is there much of a difference between the dgc shim mod and the fox spacers?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Will the DGC mod work on new Fox shocks? The air can looks like a single can, versus the old can with outer sleeve.

See the pic...
    FLOAT CTD Bike Shock | FOX

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SEA_MTBR View Post
    Is there much of a difference between the dgc shim mod and the fox spacers?
    Same idea. If you have the shock that accepts the volume reduction spacers, you are golden. Just reduce volume in small steps until you arrive at the happy place that allows for 30-35% static sag and occasional but soft bottoming. It's about that easy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Dgc

Nope, the dgc mod will only work on a double can shock , either from Fox or RS, as the shim is between the inner and outer. The CTD is the end of the DGC, the 5 Fox spacers and the new super sized shock top of the CTD allow about the same amount of adjustment as the old XtraVolume so I have been told.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Nope, the dgc mod will only work on a double can shock , either from Fox or RS, as the shim is between the inner and outer. The CTD is the end of the DGC, the 5 Fox spacers and the new super sized shock top of the CTD allow about the same amount of adjustment as the old XtraVolume so I have been told.
    Does anyone know the part# for the 5 shim CTD kit? Has anyone tried this on a '13 CTD (old Fox tune) on a Burner? I'm not real happy with mid-stroke through bottom out and trying to decide whether the CTD can be saved or just bite the bullet and get a CCDBA.

mtbr member
    ctopher - try this. #803-00-802. I'm considering it myself, because Fox's three-piece kit for the RP23 was a noticeable improvement. My CTD (5.Spot) came from Turner with the 2nd to largest CTD spacer...0.80 I think. More reading here.

Changing 2013 FLOAT CTD Air Spring Compression Ratios

mtbr member
    Thanks, I've got it on order and I'll post up the results.

None
    Apr 2007
    This sounds interesting. I have a Sultan DW link with RP23. If I wanted to upgrade to the CTD shock, would I get the XV or LV model? Not sure what is most appropriate. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I got the kit from fox and finally got to test it yesterday. I swapped out the 0.60 in^3 sleeve that came with the frame kit with the 0.92 in^3 and set the sag to 15mm. I rode one of my favorite and most familiar trails and it made a huge difference. I had a lot less pedal strikes and was able to carry a lot more speed. It felt like a different bike. I'll run this for a while and then test the 0.80 in^3 spacer.

Dont Rep me
    Quote Originally Posted by ctopher63 View Post
    I got the kit from fox and finally got to test it yesterday. I swapped out the 0.60 in^3 sleeve that came with the frame kit with the 0.92 in^3 and set the sag to 15mm. I rode one of my favorite and most familiar trails and it made a huge difference. I had a lot less pedal strikes and was able to carry a lot more speed. It felt like a different bike. I'll run this for a while and then test the 0.80 in^3 spacer.
    Please keep us updated, and what is your riding weight?

mtbr member
    I'm about 235 fully geared up.

mtbr member
    Your stock CTD came from Turner with the 0.60 spacer? What PSI are you at (getting 15mm of sag)?

mtbr member

Float CTD shock

Yeah I was surprised to see a spacer in there when I opened it up. I pulled it out and compared it to the 5 that came in the kit from Fox and it matched up with the middle one. I'm at 210 psi right now.