mtbr member

New question here. Float 130 RLC vs. Talas 130 RLC

I need some help picking a fork. I am torn between the Fox Float 130 RLC 05í and the Fox Talas 130 05í. First of all, the price is no object so it will not factor in my decision. This fork will be going on a Turner Flux. I am looking for anybody who has had experience with either of these forks.

I donít do any crazy riding. No drops, no free riding, but some all mountain. The most important factor in making my decision is the quality of the ride. While itís nice to have the flexibility to adjust the travel with the Talas pretty much on the fly, I donít want this to be the only factor in making my decision. Weight is a factor, but only a small one. I will probably be riding at 100mm most of the time, but who knows with the Talas.

Bottom line, which fork performs better at XC/All Mountain type of riding?

No, that's not phonetic
    I have limited time on both the 05s, but I rode both at the Dirt Demo at Interbike. None of the Float 130s I rode really impressed me. Not that plush, sort of unsophisticated feeling, under-dampened, a touch harsh, sort of blah. I was very impressed by the Talas though. I only rode one of those but I loved it. It felt like a totally different fork than the Float. Strange.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaden
    I need some help picking a fork. I am torn between the Fox Float 130 RLC 05í and the Fox Talas 130 05í. First of all, the price is no object so it will not factor in my decision. This fork will be going on a Turner Flux. I am looking for anybody who has had experience with either of these forks.

I donít do any crazy riding. No drops, no free riding, but some all mountain. The most important factor in making my decision is the quality of the ride. While itís nice to have the flexibility to adjust the travel with the Talas pretty much on the fly, I donít want this to be the only factor in making my decision. Weight is a factor, but only a small one. I will probably be riding at 100mm most of the time, but who knows with the Talas.

Bottom line, which fork performs better at XC/All Mountain type of riding?
    I dont know about the 05 Talas 130 or the float, but I did have a 04 Talas & really liked it & I hear the 05's are even better, I have a 05 vanilla which I have noticed to be better than the 04 version that I had ( & that was nice as well ) I didn't think that I would use the travel adjust much either - but when ya have the option you may find your self using it more than you think. I have a freind who has the 05 float & it is really nice as well, but personally I would opt for the on the fly travel adjustability of the talas. If I get second bike, i will get a talas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have a 4 inch travel bike with an '04 Talas on it, and I have a 5 Spot with the '05 Vanilla. Obviously, I can't speak specifically to the '05 Talas, but I definitely prefer the ride of the '05 Vanilla to the '04 Talas. However, since the Flux is built for a 4 inch fork, I would think that you would want to have the travel adjust feature. The 5 inch setting is great for the downhills and fine on the flats, but if I forget to set the travel back to 4" the next steep or technical climb reminds me very quickly.

I definitely like the 5 Spot in that regard. I thought I would really miss the travel adjust feature of the Talas. However, the 5 Spot seems to do everything really well with the '05 Vanilla - it clearly was designed around a 5" travel fork. If you really want the 5" of travel in the front, I'd keep this in mind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert
    However, since the Flux is built for a 4 inch fork, I would think that you would want to have the travel adjust feature.

I was actaully going to run the Float at 100 but it's only adjustable intenally. So I guess me real question would be. If both forks were set at 100, which one performs better?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert
    However, since the Flux is built for a 4 inch fork...

According to the turner specs at the top of the page the flux is made for a 3.5" - 4.7" single crown fork. Sounds like the TALAS would be fine. I really like my 05 TALAS RLC and I do use the travel adjust.