Thread: Flakey paint

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Flakey paint

Hi,

I have had my 2005 5Spot for about 9 months now and use a Q/R seat post collar to hold the post in place. Recently I have noticed that the paint is flaking off underneath the collar and is beginning to spread downwards towards the taco.

Has anyone have a suggestion on how I can prevent the paint from peeling any further and the best way to patch the existing loss of paint?

cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spotty pete
    Hi,

I have had my 2005 5Spot for about 9 months now and use a Q/R seat post collar to hold the post in place. Recently I have noticed that the paint is flaking off underneath the collar and is beginning to spread downwards towards the taco.

Has anyone have a suggestion on how I can prevent the paint from peeling any further and the best way to patch the existing loss of paint?

cheers
    Got any pictures?

I had a touch of flaking underneath the seatpost QR on my Spot, it looked like it may spread but never did. I think that's an area very prone to flaking as I've had the same thing happen on pretty much every frame I've owned.

If you want to see what a real paint flaking problem looks like check out the new Motolites. A friend of mine got one for his wife and after one month it's laughable how much paint has fallen off from minor contact.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Andy

Cheers for the info, I might go to the Halfords and buy some touchup paint then coat it with nail varnish or something like that. Its just that the rest of the bike is perfect and you want to keep it that way

P

banned
    +1 I ride with another dude that has a replacement ML flaking off. The first time had the paint coming off out of the bike store while the replacement has the same problem. Frustrating for the owner.

As far as the Spot, what I would do is to cut a line beyond the peeling area, as the PC is beginning to peel a bit further from where it actually is and accumulates dirt and sweat. The reason I state the latter is I ride with a really sweaty guy and all of his bikes have paint & pc that is bubbling, like a rusty car. Bare al is corroded bad. It's unbelieveable what it does to the paint and pc if it gets underneath.

So cut the line, remove the peeled areas above it and seal it with a cap of clear paint from a can or nail polish. Or just put electrical tape on it and don't worry.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

no flaky

our paint is not supposed to do that. Send Greg@turnerbikes.com a photo and we will look into it.

DT