mtbr member
    Jan 2004

First visit to MOAB with GF Advice (some turner content!)

I know this should be in the MOAB thread but I thought I would take any recommendations from you guys as I know there are some very experienced riders in there.

We've got 4 days in MOAB, staying at Red Cliffs Lodge.

Any non-too tricky trails you can recommend; into scenary and longish rides away from popular/noisy areas would be great.

Riding from accommodation is always good for me, and whilst we are okay with technical I don't want to be miles from anywhere helping the GF down lots of rocks. I will get time on my own to do that.

We're both pretty endurance fit etc. Oh and we're going in July so I appreciate it's get up early etc.

It doesn't all have to be singletrack, we're happy on all types of track etc.

Any tips would be gratefully received. Turners to rent would be good too

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Hmmm.....not to technical in July? I'd head for the hills.

Whole (or upper) Enchelada. Warner Lake loop to Burro Pass via Geyser Pass or Moonlight Meadows. The first section of Mag 7 to Gemini Bridges road. An early morning or evening road ride in Arches would be spectacular.

psycho cyclo addict
    The Bar-M trails above Arches are probably the least technical around there. You can drive a bit and go to Intrepid Trails at Deadhorse Point for less techy.

LPS/UPS Porcupine Rim was probably my favorite ride and more "intermediate" I guess.

The practice loop at Slickrock (to the right) is worth checking out as you probably won't see another place to ride like that anywhere (the regular loop is long and would be more than you bargained for most likely).

Chile bikes rents Turners... possibly other shops too.

Carry lots of water. July will be HOT.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    First visit to Moab with GF--IN JULY??? You do know that's the hottest month there? Are you coming from Phoenix and know HOT? If your only plan is to head up to the La Sals to beat the heat (great idea) just go to Colorado instead, save Moab for March/April or September/October. Just my .02.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

right guy

XCGuy is right, you better be a hard man woman to ride Moab in the middle of summer. It IS a desert and people die there of exposure on 'mellow' rides with 'plenty' of water or so they thought. Porcupine is not an easy ride for a less experienced rider, it is rough and sandy and slow going. If one puts in a lot of miles at home, and it a strong technical rider Porcupine is a breeze, for the lower level riders it is a pain in the ass. Go to Colorado or Utah, anything above 7k feet. I don't much about the La Sal riding other than that's where Burro Pass is, and that is NOT an easy ride, or even intermediate. Most of the people struggle up that pass, then from there to water is a looooong way down to town. By your definition, your GF is not ready for all day in 100+ degree temps in rough terrain, unless you want another GF, that might just get you the boot.

If you must go and ride in desert, look at Monitor and Merrimac, a shuttle to Flat Pass, Bar M area, shuttle Outstanding etc. The peeps at Chili Pepper will point you in the right direction for your GF rides.

Good luck!

DT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks everyone for your input - my experience as UK based rider is polar to the landscape here. I've got 20 years of tough endurance riding in me but not in the desert. I've done wet, cold, snowy and windy in the likes of Scotland and Wales but have never been to the US, or rode in a desert.

But I'm stuck with July as part of a 3 week tour (doing lots of other vacation stuff)and hoped to spend a few days here and do something as a flavour.

Thanks for the suggestions and should find a nice middle ground.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rone View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input - my experience as UK based rider is polar to the landscape here. I've got 20 years of tough endurance riding in me but not in the desert. I've done wet, cold, snowy and windy in the likes of Scotland and Wales but have never been to the US, or rode in a desert.

But I'm stuck with July as part of a 3 week tour (doing lots of other vacation stuff)and hoped to spend a few days here and do something as a flavour.

Thanks for the suggestions and should find a nice middle ground.
    Yeah, it really is another world of riding in Moab in July. Search "Crested Butte" or "Monarch Crest" for some Colorado higher altitude (cooler) rides. July is a great month in the mountains, hell in desert heat. Go ahead and stop by Moab...you'll feel like you just opened the oven door. And I like heat!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    I do Crested Butte every year in July and it's about as perfect as perfect can get. I hit up Moab (Whole enchilada) last September and it was still a scorcher but manageable. DT is right, exposure is a mofo!
    "too weird to live, too rare to die"

@trailgrinder
    break out the lights and go night riding, in Moab the temps at night may easilty be in the 90's if it is in one of our usual hot spells that we see in July-Aug

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I second edub's recommendation for Dead Horse Point trails. It's higher elevation will be a little bit cooler than in the valley (you'll have to drive there). Go about an hour and a half before dusk (bring lights just in case). You'll have spectacular scenery (great views down into the valley), fun trails (for you both), and the trails to yourself. Mostly rolling singletrack with just a few stepped climbs that are easily walked if she's intimidated. The nice thing is it's a loop, so you can't really get lost, and you're never that far from the visitor's center, should something happen. Be sure to drive (or ride) to the end of the point to see the view (awesome). If you're lucky and have a full moon you'll still have a great view at night. Watch for cows on the road driving to and from the park...I'm not kidding.

Head to Chili Pepper Bikes or Uranium Bicycles for bike rentals. Avoid Poison Spider Bikes...on top of the "cooler than you" attitude, they treat their rentals like expensive sets of golf clubs. If your girlfriend takes a fall and scratches a bike, they will get pi$$y.

I also second the first section of Mag 7 to Gemini Bridges. (early morning). Again, higher elevation, and mostly flat to downhill, easily managed single track. Gemini Bridges is a good place to stop, take in the view and find some shade for a break.

Although it's one of my favorite trails, I would NOT recommend the Whole Enchilada or Kokopelli down Porcupine Rim for many reasons. Distance, remoteness, heat, technical factor, severe penalty points for dabbing or falling (exposure) on many sections of trail. It's like asking for trouble in your particular situation. Same goes for the full Slickrock loop. It's tougher than it looks with lots of steep climbs. Gear problems can cause serious issues for you in July. Try the practice loop early in the morning to give here a taste of Slickrock. Then head over to Hidden Canyon for a swim in the river.

Water. You will want to carry much more than you think you'll need. The desert air sucks the moisture right out of your body.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Landed in Moab. Sultans booked for tmw. Dead horse point in the evening - thanks for all the advice!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Landed in Moab. Sultans booked for tmw. Dead horse point in the evening - thanks for all the advice!

Respect the heat. Early morning rides, yeah. Thing is, you get used to the heat when you're out in it from early on but 100s are nothing to mess with. You get dehydrated even when you're drinking mass quantities of H2O. Late evenings are good, too. Noonish? Better be back and at the bar. Beers and AC are your friend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Great to hear Rone! Have fun out there and post some pics so we can share in the stoke.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Re: First visit to MOAB with GF Advice (some turner content!)

Post ride grin after my introduction to my first Moab ride. (Big Chief at Dead Horse Point.)

The bikes are very impressive (owned spot, flux, Dw-flux and now a czar) but this Sultan rolls over everything. Good prices and c.s at chilli pepper too.

Thanks to all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'll second this post. I was in Moab last week, too with family. Broke away at 6AM and did Porcupine Rim from town. Weather was great for July. The RFX was a beast, but the Sultan is the ticket for up and down!
    First visit to MOAB with GF Advice (some turner content!)-photo-3-4-.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brian_brox View Post
    I'll second this post. I was in Moab last week, too with family. Broke away at 6AM and did Porcupine Rim from town. Weather was great for July. The RFX was a beast, but the Sultan is the ticket for up and down!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3(4).jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	818597
    That is definitely the money shot for that ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Great pics guys. Thanks for sharing!

psycho cyclo addict

First visit to MOAB with GF Advice (some turner content!)

Post ride grin after my introduction to my first Moab ride. (Big Chief at Dead Horse Point.)

The bikes are very impressive (owned spot, flux, Dw-flux and now a czar) but this Sultan rolls over everything. Good prices and c.s at chilli pepper too.

Thanks to all.
    Cool- your GF enjoyed it as well then?

There is a lot of great riding out there with some other worldly looking scenery and terrain that I had never seen before. Here is a shot from Slickrock Trail. Some sections of it got my heart rate up before I even started rolling!

First visit to MOAB with GF Advice (some turner content!)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374928225.025557.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Best comment I've heard on the Slickrock Trail--first timer is grinding up some long steep climb (sound familiar?) where traction is 100% on the rock. Midway up he blurts out "this is so cool!" Simple, to the point, totally accurate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    she did, the sultan gave here way more confidence than normal. We didn't have the time to take in long ride, and effort is much harder in the heat. But we had a taste of slickrock on circle-o was so grippy like you say. Good PIC BTW,

psycho cyclo addict
    she did, the sultan gave here way more confidence than normal. We didn't have the time to take in long ride, and effort is much harder in the heat. But we had a taste of slickrock on circle-o was so grippy like you say. Good PIC BTW,
    Thanks. I was torn between having a blast riding and stopping to take an occasional picture.

mtbr member
    I am thinking of taking the kid there next week. This would be the first real challenging ride since I broke my ankle (Jan 1st). I've been doing physical therapy for 7 months. I view this as psychotherapy, (unless it kills me.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
    I am thinking of taking the kid there next week. This would be the first real challenging ride since I broke my ankle (Jan 1st). I've been doing physical therapy for 7 months. I view this as psychotherapy, (unless it kills me.)
    Still high 90s/low 100s out there for the next ten days. Just sayin'...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Moab ?

Get out on the trail at first light be back in the pool by lunch then hit Arches for evening pics
    trlridr