Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

First Nitrous Prototype

Here are the first photos of our Nitrous Prototype. It is a 3.1" Ultra Lite XC race bike. You will see these raced this season by Team Maxxis riders Geoff Kabush and Cesar Grajales. We worked very hard to reduce the weight further than any frame we have ever produced in the past. The large frame with shock, seat collar, and bottle bolts weighed in at 4.600 lbs.

The Turnerbikes Crew!
    Attached Images Attached Images

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    wow that bike is gorgeous!!!

can't wait to see it up close and personal at the Sea Otter!! Thanks for the sneak peak!

singletrack lush
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    Here are the first photos of our Nitrous Prototype. It is a 3.1" Ultra Lite XC race bike. You will see these raced this season by Team Maxxis riders Geoff Kabush and Cesar Grajales. We worked very hard to reduce the weight further than any frame we have ever produced in the past. The large frame with shock, seat collar, and bottle bolts weighed in at 4.600 lbs.

The Turnerbikes Crew!
    Is that an anodized finish?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The frame is Gold Ano. Here are some detail photos.

mtbr member
    Nice! What about a total weight as is. I bet if you polished the rear end you'd save another pound or so .

Motion activated
    The large frame with shock, seat collar, and bottle bolts weighed in at 4.600 lbs.
    Wow! Pardon my ignorance, but would that make it the lightest 3" travel frame ever?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Nice! What about a total weight as is. I bet if you polished the rear end you'd save another pound or so .
    Total weight as pictured is 22.5 lbs. It is ano so polishing would not save any weight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

that is crazy lite!

sub 5lb fully with real shock and linkage? man, that's unbelievably lite. Looks like the Horst link is shorter. Can you spill the beans on the fox shock and the dual knobs?
    So the inevitable question is, what's the weight limit on this ultralite?

thanks,

-Sp

ps, that seatpost is sky high!

The Turnerbikes Crew!

mtbr member

Unfrickenbelievable

The Turnerbikes Crew!
    Literally. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I won't believe that weight until the production models are out. The weights posted on the website for the current models seem accurate, so maybe there is cause for hope. However, to best the Burner by a pound and a half (over 25% of the frame's weight) and a Truth by a good pound? It looks to be all aluminum too, right, no carbon fiber? All the better in my book, but all the more amazing if 4.6 lbs can be had.
    Too bad I've been completely won over by 29" wheels for XC racing, and am leaning towards the big wheels for my full suspension trail bike as well, as much as I'd hate to see my Turner go. I'd certainly be the first in line for a 29" Turner if it ever became available: Burner, Nitrous, Spot, you name it, I'm there. Until then I'll day dream about a sub twenty pound 26" Nitrous.

Not just famous; infamous

What's with the shock dial?

Is that just the rebound dial, or is this the prototype for the adjustable platform Float?

Nice color!
    Now, can we send our 'Spots back to get them gold anodized?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

First medium frame onthe scale

Here is the first medium frame assemble. I will be honest we don't know if a rider weight limit. The large is Greg's personal bike, he is 215 lbs. Our thought is that if it holds up for him it will far outlast any 160 lb leg shaver. The rear shock is a Fox RP3, you may want to contact them to get the low down. As far as being lighter than the Burner, it is not even on the same sheet of paper. We took everything we have done for the past 10 years and thought how to make it lighter. We then had an outside engineer take an even closer look to be certain we were on the right track. These are definitely prototypes and ment for that purpose. We will use them to learn where to go for production.

Turner Bikes

what a joke

BLING BLING BLING that is nice!

When ? MSRP? Geometry?
    blah blah blah

mtbr member

Awesome

Here is the first medium frame assemble. I will be honest we don't know if a rider weight limit. The large is Greg's personal bike, he is 215 lbs. Our thought is that if it holds up for him it will far outlast any 160 lb leg shaver. The rear shock is a Fox RP3, you may want to contact them to get the low down. As far as being lighter than the Burner, it is not even on the same sheet of paper. We took everything we have done for the past 10 years and thought how to make it lighter. We then had an outside engineer take an even closer look to be certain we were on the right track. These are definitely prototypes and ment for that purpose. We will use them to learn where to go for production.

Turner Bikes
    Looks like you guys are ready to unleash the definitive racing bike just like you did for trail bikes with the 5 Spot. As far as 26" wheeled bikes go, that is

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    When ? MSRP? Geometry?
    I wouldn't expect to see production bikes until late this year. MSRP???? Probably around $2000-$2200 71* head angle 73.5* seat angle 16.7" chainstay 12.25" bb with 80mm fork

GSS
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That's lovely.

Any insights on the Highline That's the frame I'm really interested to see! Can't decide whether to hold off for one, or to get a Devinci.

Trail rider and racer
    Thats the Sh!t indeed, totally amazing looking bike, and I look forward to hearing some rider details on it - In particular with regards to stiffens and durability which will no doubt be top notch coming from Turner.

God good, does this mean I am going to toy with selling my Ellsworth???

Trevor!
    (Jaws still dropped)
    Trev!

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    Looks like you guys are ready to unleash the definitive racing bike just like you did for trail bikes with the 5 Spot. As far as 26" wheeled bikes go, that is
    I agree, if it rides really good too like the spot, that frame will really sell over the likes of the Fuel, Truth, Spider for the weight conscious in particular if they can achieve the weight demonstrated here. - 4" travel would be nice though..
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GSS
    That's lovely.

Any insights on the Highline That's the frame I'm really interested to see! Can't decide whether to hold off for one, or to get a Devinci.
    We hope to show the Highline protos in July. Production frames hopefully in Nov. As for comparing it to a Truth, and Spider. Those are what we would consider the average joe trail bike. This is the frame for the guy who spends 4 of his 6 riding days on a road bike only to go and spank the locals in the XC race. With that said 4" is not really an option on that frame. Weight was the main goal and the biggest way to achive it is stay short travel to match an XC race fork.

mtbr member
    The rear end looks to be kinda noodley. The seat and chainstays seem pretty small. Especially if you're expecting to have pros torquing the big ring!

I like the idea of the bike tho. Simple and no gimmicks. Prolly using bushing in the linkages to keep weight down, but that's ok for a race bike. The problem there is you'll have the ww trail rider purchasing this bike, not performing any maintence on it, and complaining about durability.

mtbr member
    It is ano so polishing would not save any weight.
    Ya, I know. Just my meager attempt to get you guys to go back to the polished rear. Afterall, how often do we get the chance to take pop shots at you guys on the forum .

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by xl_cheese
    The rear end looks to be kinda noodley. The seat and chainstays seem pretty small. Especially if you're expecting to have pros torquing the big ring!

I like the idea of the bike tho. Simple and no gimmicks. Prolly using bushing in the linkages to keep weight down, but that's ok for a race bike. The problem there is you'll have the ww trail rider purchasing this bike, not performing any maintence on it, and complaining about durability.
    Dam! It looks like it's back to the drawing board Dave!

Lay off the Levers

The Turnerbikes Crew!
    Oh daaaaaaammmmmmm,
    I am so freakin' impressed!!! gold anno too??? It's times like this I almost wish I raced!

Thanks for the Heads up and welcome to the forum!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member

Where does the Burner stand?

So once the Nitrous goes into production, what will happen to the Burner? They are similar as far as travel goes, so will the burners be bumped up to 4"? Will some kind of upgrade kit be available to burner owners who wants 4" of travel. I'm just curious because I just bought a Burner and I'm interested in knowing if there will be any changes to it in the future.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye_nut
    So once the Nitrous goes into production, what will happen to the Burner? They are similar as far as travel goes, so will the burners be bumped up to 4"? Will some kind of upgrade kit be available to burner owners who wants 4" of travel. I'm just curious because I just bought a Burner and I'm interested in knowing if there will be any changes to it in the future.

Thanks
    The Burner is a trail bike, this is an XC race bike. This is for the no holds bared racer looking to be atop the podium. As for the future of the Burner.....currently it is what it is and we do not anticipate building any more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

so what happens from a warranty perspective

If the Burner is no longer going to be manufactured....then (Knock on wood) if my Burner were to fail (i.e. front or rear cracked frame) are you going to be keeping replacement parts for 2 years from your last production run? I just want to make sure we don't have another "Ell***th" type "you must pay for the upgrade" scenario.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast