mtbr member

Finished my flux

A while ago I bought this frame - flux medium - of ebay. I bought it even though it had a dent in the downtube, I figured it to be only cosmetic.

I spent some time building it and finished it about a month ago. The bike rides fantastic! I come from a cannondale prophet sl, and are just amazed how much better this thing handles.
    The finished build looks like this:

The build is:
    * Frame Size: Medium
    * Frame Year: 2006
    * Color (frame/rear triangle): Silver ano.
    * Shock: RP3
    * Fork: Fox Pushed
    * Brakes: XT, 180 mm - 2008
    * Brake Levers: XT - 2008
    * Cranks: XT - 2008
    * Shifters: XT - 2008
    * Front Derailleur: XT - 2008
    * Rear Derailleur: XT 2008, shadow
    * Chain HG93
    * Pedals: Time XS carbon Ti
    * Stem:Thomson elite 90 mm
    * Handlebar: Easton monkeylite XC
    * Seatpost: Thomson elite 330 mm
    * Saddle: Turner Ti
    * Bottom Bracket: XT - 2008
    * Cassette: XT 11-32
    * Headset: Chris King
    * Grips: Ritchey foam WCS
    * Front Tire: Nobby Nic 2.0, folding
    * Front Rim: Sun ringle DS-1 XC
    * Front Hub/Skewer: Chris King hub, XT-skewers
    * Rear Tire: Nobby Nic 2.0, folding
    * Rear Rim: Sun ringle DS-1 XC
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: Chris King hub, XT-skewers
    * Seatpost Collar: salsa
    *** Build Weight: 25,4 lbs

* Future Changes: Looking for black salsa skewers, and the new CK bottombracket, also black.

I do have a question regarding the RP3:
    How much pressure should I put i the shock, my weight is about 190 lbs neked. just a rough guideline.

Thanks

Wicketed
    nice looking bike.
    the flux is such a fantastic bike, i probably have more fun on it than any other bike - it just wants to go quick but has the handling characteristics to keep you out of trouble when things get sketchy.

can't help you re rp3 pressures as i weigh a bit less - but just set the sag somewhere just over 25% and you'll be sorted.
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

~~~
    Duuuuuude! Awesome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

The industrial look

Swan Lee: Thanks for the comments, I will keep adjustig the pressure to get it just right.

Tburger: Cool that you noticed my efforts to get that industrial look just right, nothing like black and silver to nail it ...

mtbr member
    congrats, a real nice build! How do you like the nobby nics?
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

mtbr member
    The Nobby Nics are great, they fit the Danish winter pretty good. They give good traction despite the fact that we have lots of mud ...

I dont have UST, and are running latex tubes, but are considering the 2,25 next winter, the 2.0's are a little slim ...

Can Tree Member
    Nice build, great bike. But that diaper-changing table frame shot just does not cut the mustard.

Do you know anybody with a red couch?
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member
    That shot is from the ebay seller, and you are right, it doesnt cut it, but its the only prebuild shot I have ...

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tholarsch
    That shot is from the ebay seller, and you are right, it doesnt cut it, but its the only prebuild shot I have ...
    No worries, we have lots of pics on the board with fully built bikes dry-humping the couch too. Extra credit for a red couch, double extra credit if the bike is muddy because we know you took a beating from the woman to get the shot. Now get on with it!
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member
    I will do my best to get a few mudshots tomorrow ...
    How many points for a muddy bike on a red couch?

Can Tree Member
    I will do my best to get a few mudshots tomorrow ...
    How many points for a muddy bike on a red couch?
    Maximum points and a nomination for TOM (Turner of the Month). And a beating from the spouse/GF/SO or other person responsible for the house. But well worth it.

Or so I've been told. I'm still suffering from memory loss from that frypan to the head a while back.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

Moosehead
    Quote Originally Posted by swan lee
    the flux is such a fantastic bike, i probably have more fun on it than any other bike - it just wants to go quick but has the handling characteristics to keep you out of trouble when things get sketchy.
    +1 to that, enjoy the new horse

mtbr member
    The Nobby Nics are great, they fit the Danish winter pretty good. They give good traction despite the fact that we have lots of mud ...

I dont have UST, and are running latex tubes, but are considering the 2,25 next winter, the 2.0's are a little slim ...
    They should be perfect for me, I live outside Seattle and 8 months a year it is pretty wet. How are they on dry hardpack? I just picked up a pair of NNs 2.4 USTs from Larry at MtnHigh. I should have them next week.
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    excellent build! ya got a nice deal on that frame if i recall. i was watchin it myself. the flux is a totally diggable bike.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Serotta b1kr
    They should be perfect for me, I live outside Seattle and 8 months a year it is pretty wet. How are they on dry hardpack? I just picked up a pair of NNs 2.4 USTs from Larry at MtnHigh. I should have them next week.
    On dry hardpack they are a bit overkill, but they still grab pretty good. But you can get faster rolling tires for the dry season, than the Nobby Nics.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Here's another rebuilt/restored Flux....

My "new" Ghetto Flux, built on the cheap from CL, ebay, parts from past bikes....
    Build summary:

2005 Flux frame - Large, Fox RP3
    2007 Fox F100 RLC - OEM take off
    Shimano XT M751/M752 drive train
    Avid 160mm BB7s
    Mavic 819 disc/Shimano XT wheelset
    Hutchinson Barracuda MRC High UST 2.1s
    Titec post/stem/bars
    WTB Laser V saddle
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bite Me.
    I thought this photo was the was the "diaper changing table" shot - reminds me when my baby son had a bad run in with some Gerber chopped meat dinner:

Here's a little tip on how you might get that ding out - try placing a piece of dry ice directly over the dent and leave it there until the metal is thoroughly frozen - you should see ice forming around the ding. Remove the ice and blast it with a hot air hair dryer set on high - watch it - if the dent is not too deep it will sometimes pop right out due to the heat/cold differential. Another method is to spray the dent with a blast of liquid CO2 (use a compressed air can like the kind for spraying computer keyboards - just shake it and turn it upside down) it will freeze the dent - blast with hot air as before. You may wreck the decal, but you may get the dent out.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    I thought this photo was the was the "diaper changing table" shot - reminds me when my baby son had a bad run in with some Gerber chopped meat dinner:

Here's a little tip on how you might get that ding out - try placing a piece of dry ice directly over the dent and leave it there until the metal is thoroughly frozen - you should see ice forming around the ding. Remove the ice and blast it with a hot air hair dryer set on high - watch it - if the dent is not too deep it will sometimes pop right out due to the heat/cold differential. Another method is to spray the dent with a blast of liquid CO2 (use a compressed air can like the kind for spraying computer keyboards - just shake it and turn it upside down) it will freeze the dent - blast with hot air as before. You may wreck the decal, but you may get the dent out.
    Thanks for the tip, I will give it a go one of these days ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    +1 to that, enjoy the new horse
    Thanks! I already am enjoying the bike and the ride ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    excellent build! ya got a nice deal on that frame if i recall. i was watchin it myself. the flux is a totally diggable bike.
    Thanks! I did get a pretty good price, 710$ for the frame and 35$ for shipping to Denmark.

It handles like no other bike that I have ridden before, I am more than satisfied.

Here is a few shots from a recent ride, pictures taken with my cellphone ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rglsr
    My "new" Ghetto Flux, built on the cheap from CL, ebay, parts from past bikes....
    Build summary:

2005 Flux frame - Large, Fox RP3
    2007 Fox F100 RLC - OEM take off
    Shimano XT M751/M752 drive train
    Avid 160mm BB7s
    Mavic 819 disc/Shimano XT wheelset
    Hutchinson Barracuda MRC High UST 2.1s
    Titec post/stem/bars
    WTB Laser V saddle
    Looks like a lot of fun!

Congratulations

mtbr member

Couch shot ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dad Man Walking
    Maximum points and a nomination for TOM (Turner of the Month). And a beating from the spouse/GF/SO or other person responsible for the house. But well worth it.

Or so I've been told. I'm still suffering from memory loss from that frypan to the head a while back.
    Ok, here is a couch shot - admitted, the couch isnt red and the bike is not very dirty, but maybe I could get a few points for putting the bike in a very expensive designer couch made in 1967 by Danish furniture designer H.J. Wegner???

mtbr member
    + 2 for the Wegner couch .. but then again I'm danish too.