Not just famous; infamous

... and if we just ... Finally--See Spot Ride

Well, I finally got my Spot back from the Singletrack Factory, and took it for a little ride yesterday. Nothing exciting, just an excuse to get out and ride. Hopefully I'll get some action pix this weekend on a group ride.

The vital statistics:
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Medium 5 Spot frame
    King Headset
    Vanilla RLC
    Hope Mono Minis
    Thomson 100x5 Stem and Seatpost
    XTR (952) Shifters, Chain, R Derailleur, BB & Cranks
    XT Cassette, F Derailleur & Hubs
    Mavic 819 Rims
    Kenda Nevegal 2.35 Tires
    Time ATAC Pedals
    Answer ProTaper Bar
    ODI/Yeti Grips
    Terry Fly Ti Saddle

Total Weight: 30 lbs even shop scale
    I'll probably swap out the pedals soon, and the hubs in a year or so. Gotta pay some bills.

Impressions: My Racer X was quicker, but it was 5 lbs lighter too, and mainly in the rims and tires. You flick the Racer X around, you flow on the Spot. Even a crappy rider like me feels right at home on this bike. The X was nowhere near as fun as this bike Can't wait to get it on some real trails!

Now for the hard part--posting pix. Hope this works...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluchs
    Well, I finally got my Spot back from the Singletrack Factory...
    ...Now for the hard part--posting pix. Hope this works...
    Dude, that first shot was RUUUUUDE!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Hope I knew somebody would catch me

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Dude, that first shot was RUUUUUDE!
    "Let me esplain...no there is too much...let me sum up."

I bought the frame from a guy in MN (good ol' MTBR classifieds).When he shipped it out, he sent me an email with the tracking number and such, and the last line reads...
    "Don't be scared by the box."
    Now you know why

Did you notice that nice gray spring? It's winging its way back to 123bikes to be exchanged for the correct length. So maybe my bike will weight 29.9 lbs now

Since I have the "gay red color," does this mean I can post in magenta?

Hey 'zilla, you're from PA, right? Could I get you to send me out a case of Yuengling Black & Tan? I miss my Yuengling Let me know if you're ever driving out to CO and I'll send you some cash.
    Last edited by coolhandluchs; 04-15-2004 at 08:29 AM.

Lay off the Levers
    I bought the frame from a guy in MN (good ol' MTBR classifieds).When he shipped it out, he sent me an email with the tracking number and such, and the last line reads...
    Now you know why
    The shop guy has a real sense of humor! Maybe Ellsworth builds better boxes, I wonder if they have a lifetime warranty too?

Since I have the "gay red color," does this mean
    I can post in magenta?
    Sure, you have to wear gay-red lycra shorts as well...one-of-us, one-of-us...

Hey 'zilla, you're from PA, right? Could I get you to send me out a case of Yuengling Black & Tan? I miss my Yuengling Let me know if you're ever driving out to CO and I'll send you some cash.
    Sorry, I'm waaaaay on the other side of the NY metro area (near Ct & north Jersey). Not familliar with that beer...I'll keep an eye out though. G'luck w/t spring.

Cheers, Gears, and Beers!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member

The Box Says It All!

Left upper corner of box "Fragile Handle With Care"! Check out FM's thread "Turners on the loose in Moab" to see why. Enjoy the 5'er Coolhandluchs!

Quote Originally Posted by Larsey
    Left upper corner of box "Fragile Handle With Care"! Check out FM's thread "Turners on the loose in Moab" to see why. Enjoy the 5'er Coolhandluchs!
    Yeah, I saw that Moab thread. I don't care who makes the bike, it's a damn shame to see anything that expensive break like that Not to mention how bad that long walk back must feel.

I think the boxes do have a lifetime warranty, but it's voided once any improvements are made to that particular model of box. Oh, and if the box is handled by UPS at any time, the warranty is canceled. OK, enough flaming. I'm out. I don't do enough shipping to make fun of other people's boxes.

Sorry 'zilla. Thought you were further south. Check out that beer sometime. It's still my all-time favorite

I don't have any red shorts. Maybe I'll buy some red shoes instead. Sparkly, with heels. (There's no place like home, there's no place like home....) Maybe they'll get me up the hills quicker. I'll ride like I was Elmer Fudd in that dream sequence where Bugs dresses him up like a woman and sets the Hollywood wolves after him....
    oooohhhh, flashbacks....I need my medication.

Now Uploading
    That's a beautiful thing. Now let's go ride and get it dusty this weekend.

Dave
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

... and if we just ... You got it

Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    That's a beautiful thing. Now let's go ride and get it dusty this weekend.

Dave
    Hopefully I'll be able to get out Sunday. Saturday's packed. LOTB?
    I'll post up on FRMB later Dave.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/FRMB/

Baked Alaskan

the real reason for the EW box

[QUOTE=coolhandluchs]
    Now you know why
    [QUOTE]

I think if the box said Turner it may have been "lost in transit", the EW box makes it less desirable to thieves, like shipping in a Huffy box.

BTW, sweet ride. Hammer the hell out of it and tall us how you like it.

Also, I'm thinking about checking out some Kendas too, put them to work and tell us how they perform.

mtbr member
    coolhandluchs,

Welcome to the ranks of Red 5-Spots. Hey I've got a few questions about your tires. Why the 2.35's and not the 2.5's. What about the Blue Groove? What are your trail conditions like?

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Sure, you have to wear gay-red lycra shorts as well...one-of-us, one-of-us...
    I thought you said it was a red-one-piece-lycra-skin-suit.

[QUOTE=CrashTheDOG]coolhandluchs,

Welcome to the ranks of Red 5-Spots. Hey I've got a few questions about your tires. Why the 2.35's and not the 2.5's. What about the Blue Groove? What are your trail conditions like?
    [QUOTE]

Typical western US conditions, hardpack, gravel/sand over hardpack, some loose, rocky sections, some slickrock, a little mud every once in a while. It can vary from trail to trail. Pythons and Conti Verticals are pretty popular here. Pythons are nice and fast, but break loose easily in looser conditions.

As for the size, I seems to remember reading on one of Shiggy's posts that the 2.35 & 2.5 Blue Groove/Nevegal's are actually very close in size. I was looking for a balance between grip and weight , so I went with the 2.35. They're easily the biggest tires I've ever owned, and judging from the little time I've spent on them, they'll work great for me. I considered the Blue Grooves, but decided that the Nevegal's looked like they had a little more grip in loose conditions--exactly when I'll need it most. They seem to roll easily and fast enough, even on pavement--definitely no worse than my Conti Verts were, maybe better. I'll try and post up later when I've got some real riding time on them. Hopefully I'll get a real ride in tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Like you, i'm just starting to ride my new 5 Spot. What XT Front Derailleur are you using? The one I ordered with the bike does not fit.

Well, I finally got my Spot back from the Singletrack Factory, and took it for a little ride yesterday. Nothing exciting, just an excuse to get out and ride. Hopefully I'll get some action pix this weekend on a group ride.

The vital statistics:
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Medium 5 Spot frame
    King Headset
    Vanilla RLC
    Hope Mono Minis
    Thomson 100x5 Stem and Seatpost
    XTR (952) Shifters, Chain, R Derailleur, BB & Cranks
    XT Cassette, F Derailleur & Hubs
    Mavic 819 Rims
    Kenda Nevegal 2.35 Tires
    Time ATAC Pedals
    Answer ProTaper Bar
    ODI/Yeti Grips
    Terry Fly Ti Saddle

Total Weight: 30 lbs even shop scale
    I'll probably swap out the pedals soon, and the hubs in a year or so. Gotta pay some bills.

Impressions: My Racer X was quicker, but it was 5 lbs lighter too, and mainly in the rims and tires. You flick the Racer X around, you flow on the Spot. Even a crappy rider like me feels right at home on this bike. The X was nowhere near as fun as this bike Can't wait to get it on some real trails!

Now for the hard part--posting pix. Hope this works...

New XT M761 (I think)

Quote Originally Posted by riflebike
    Like you, i'm just starting to ride my new 5 Spot. What XT Front Derailleur are you using? The one I ordered with the bike does not fit.
    It's the new dual-pull XT derailleur. I think it's a bottom swing (I always get confused on the swing thing). It's the one with the high mounting bracket. Apparently the swing is very important because of the shock position, something I found out right before the bike got built up
    Here's what it looks like...
    Attached Images Attached Images