mtbr member
    Feb 2006

... and if we just ... ...and finally, the new 5-spot!! (pics and review-long)

After a long 3-4 weeks of gathering parts and selling my Fuel, i picked up my new 5-spot this afternoon from OutSpokin in Woodstock, GA. I was already dressed for a ride at Blankets Creek when i walked in, and within a few minutes i was unloading the bike at the trail head!

First impression after a few feet of riding- this bike fits me perfect! It is so comfortable compared the Fuel. A few feet after that i notice how much more plush the ride is. A totally different feel than i was used to.

I did a quick lap on the beginner trail trying to break in the brakes by making a few easy stops. I was grinning ear-to-ear already! Just by rolling over a couple small roots, i could tell i was going to enjoy this!

A quick stop at the "T' at the start of the intermediate loop to check and make sure everything was tight. The seat was a little loose, but a fellow rider had a mini-tool so i could tighten it back up. Thanks! I left mine at the house in my haste to ride this thing.

Took off on my first lap- again trying to take it easy since this was an unfamiliar bike and $$$$. I just couldn't help myself, i went faster and faster......looking for roots and rocks to roll over. I was taking all new lines compared to my Fuel. In the fuel i would dart and weave around obstacles and clinch my teeth for the bone-jarring hit if i did happen to hit some roots dead-on.

Things i like right away:

Smoothness. This bike floats over everything, allowing me to keep A LOT more momentum than i have in the past and thus ride faster.

Steering. I don't think i knew how twitchy my fuel steered until i rode the spot. No twitchyness, just nice smooth turns. Hard to describe, almost like everything was in slow-motion, in a good way.

Downhills. Again, smooooth. It just eats up bumps, rocks, roots and begs for more.

Climbing. This was a bit of a surprise. I expected the Fuel to climb better than the Spot. I would say they are the same on smooth uphill climbs. Where the Spot shines is on the technical uphills. The TNT rear suspension is PLANTED, the traction is incredible! BTW, climbing was done with the Propedal in the lowest setting. I didn't play with settings today........can it actually get better?!?!?

Brakes. Hope M4s with 2-piece rotors, 8-inch front/6-inch rear. WOW, these stop my fat-@$$ in a hurry. The lever feel is great.

I found myself riding faster than i ever had before, but without really trying. It was a much more relaxed ride, but my lap times were as good as my best on the Fuel. Not bad for the first day on a new bike, no adjustments and not having ridden in 3 weeks!

BOTTOM LINE: i Freakin' LOVE IT!!!

And now for some pics. Not very good because i forgot to take some while it was shinny and new.

Frame- 5-spot, large. Black annodized.
    Fork- Fox Vanilla 130RLC
    shock- Fox DHX-A
    Brakes- Hope M4s 8 inch front, 6 inch rear
    Crank- Shimano XT
    Cass- SRAM 970
    headset- Chris King
    Stem- Thomson 100mm, 0* rise
    bar- Answer Protaper carbon. oversize
    grips- ODI lockons
    shifters- SRAM X9. X0 was installed, but there was a defect. Replacement is on the way
    F. Derail Sram
    R. Derail- Sram X9
    seatpost- Thomson
    saddle- Sette Race Ti
    Wheels- left over Bontragers from the Fuel. New set coming soon.
    Tires- Hutchinson Spyders
    Brian

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    holy crap theres a ton of sweet new rigs bustin out around here. honey! wheres my checkbook?! nice how ya matched up the hope bits with the gold door knob. all in the plan im sure. congrats pal and welcome to the big show.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Lay off the Levers
    I WANT THOSE ROTORS!!!!!

oh yeah nice bike.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Sweet! That will eat up trails in the ATL!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Shot Down in Flames...
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    Sweet! That will eat up trails in the ATL!
    Friggin' ATL Homer suck-up!

Seriously, nice ride Bri. I look forward to seeing you out and about on the trails. Hope you enjoy the Vanilla.

D.

not so super...
    The ATL is loaded with Homers! Sweet ride Bri.

If you don't like the Vanilla, SHOP (Standard Homer Operating Procedure) calls for a PUSH tune.
    Nothing to see here.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by FattyBri
    After a long 3-4 weeks of gathering parts and selling my Fuel, i picked up my new 5-spot this afternoon from OutSpokin in Woodstock, GA.
    I read your first sentence and I thought maybe you bought the blue Spot frame that I was lusting over at Outspokin when I was down in GA in March. That is one sweet ride you got there. Cruising around Blankets on a Turner...nah, I'm not jealous at all.

Patrick

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock
    Friggin' ATL Homer suck-up!
    Friggin' ATL Ventanaphile!

Oh, I had 17.45 recorded for Saturday by the way.
    I went back to Big Creek last night looking for that lady driving your car but no luck. Dodging trees at dusk is pretty fun.
    Big hoopy.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    very nice personal touches! congrats

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Hey Fo, post again. I need to lower my cholesterol
    Big hoopy.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Hey Fo, post again. I need to lower my cholesterol
    dont be so immature. and for the record, since SSINGA has already asked, they are technicaly not the original breakfast of champions (ie, Wheaties) but rather Froot Loops (close enough)

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Huh, they looked like Cheerios to me.
    Honey Nut Cheerios at that.
    Big hoopy.

over researcher
    Huh, they looked like Cheerios to me.
    Honey Nut Cheerios at that.
    There's nuts in there? ewe, yucky

Nice looking 5 Spot.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by royta
    There's nuts in there? ewe, yucky

Nice looking 5 Spot.
    Now that's wrong.
    Big hoopy.

mtbr member

Nice Rig...

Wow, nice rig man!

You sure thats anodized? Looks really shiney...

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Take your bike to Chicopee and turn it loose. There are more places there to build speed than South Loop and it's more "worthy" than Dwelling Loop. In case I haven't mentioned it in the last hour, Champain Hill is just a blast on a Spot.
    My Spot and I had a lunch "appointment" on Zig Zag today. It was very productive.
    Big hoopy.