mtbr member

Finally Bought a 5 Spot

Finally Bought a 5 Spot-549113_4992213037824_1084026825_n.jpgFinally Bought a 5 Spot-img_1300_2.jpgLast night at 8:20PM PT I pulled the trigger.

I bought thisP1070194_zps6ca7b207.jpg Photo by recordball | Photobucket

I found it on Ebay. Full XTR, dropper Seatpost. Pretty much everything is from 2010, but the bike has been ridden very little. I've been riding a 2004 Turner Burner since 2005. It's served me well and it really has a lot of life left in it. I figured I've made the same bike last that long and I haven't babied it either. I jump it and race it and maintain it well and it will last a lot longer.

Now the current question is do I sell the burner? I don't think I'm ready for that yet, maybe some day once I've connected with the 5 spot.
    Last edited by otis24; 04-03-2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Added Pics
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    Last night at 8:20PM PT I pulled the trigger.

I bought thisP1070194_zps6ca7b207.jpg Photo by recordball | Photobucket

I found it on Ebay. Full XTR, dropper Seatpost. Pretty much everything is from 2010, but the bike has been ridden very little. I've been riding a 2004 Turner Burner since 2005. It's served me well and it really has a lot of life left in it. I figured I've made the same bike last that long and I haven't babied it either. I jump it and race it and maintain it well and it will last a lot longer.

Now the current question is do I sell the burner? I don't think I'm ready for that yet, maybe some day once I've connected with the 5 spot.
    If you don't have to sell your Burner, don't. You can always use it as a backup.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

GAME ON!
    nice acquisition.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Nice!
    When I got my DWspot, I intended to sell my HLspot,
    Until now, I still couldn't find a reason to part with my old one,
    There's not much you can get from your Burner so might as well keep it as a back up ;-)
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    Nice!
    When I got my DWspot, I intended to sell my HLspot,
    Until now, I still couldn't find a reason to part with my old one,
    There's not much you can get from your Burner so might as well keep it as a back up ;-)
    That's about what I've been thinking. I've beaten on it pretty good over the years. I'd kinda feel bad selling it to, I'm kind of attached to it. Maybe if I find someone I know who wants it I'll sell it. On the other hand I don't like to hold onto stuff I don't use. I like to stay light and mobile.
    I like to ride bikes.

My cup runneth over
    I went from a Burner to a '10 Spot too. What a difference. I really liked the Burner and rode it hard too - the second frame breakage was unrepairable though and the '10 Spot is better in almost every way. Over three years on the Spot, going even harder and not a peep out of the frame - you can look forward to upping your game.

mtbr member
    I purchased an anno-orange 2012 Spot frame in December of 2012 and was able to finally build it with chosen parts three days ago...Finally got to ride it yesterday...and boy! what a blast...I felt the "need for speed" while blasting the trails and cutting the corners fast with the agility of the 5Spot compared to my Trance XO...I had a 4 month lay-over it was my first ride after the long hiatus....did not need to lock out my 150mm Revelation Fork going uphill as there was no bob...and the Spot climbs like a goat indeed as they claim....but bombs the trail like a downhill bike...such versatility left me with all smiles after the ride....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rey Recinto; 03-31-2013 at 11:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    That's about what I've been thinking. I've beaten on it pretty good over the years. I'd kinda feel bad selling it to, I'm kind of attached to it. Maybe if I find someone I know who wants it I'll sell it. On the other hand I don't like to hold onto stuff I don't use. I like to stay light and mobile.
    Easy enough for me,
    I move my older Turner at my parents place,
    That way, I don't see it often and I have a ride when I visit them ;-)
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    Easy enough for me,
    I move my older Turner at my parents place,
    That way, I don't see it often and I have a ride when I visit them ;-)
    Great idea! I think I've just found justification to get another Turner!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Haha nice edit,bro!

mtbr member
    I arranged with Fed Ex to pick it up at a nearby FedEx store. Tracking says it's there now. I'm very excited. Just a few more hours. Of course all my favorite trails are soaked so I'll be going on a road ride today.
    Last edited by otis24; 04-01-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: wrong use of their
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    I picked up the bike and put it together today. I've only had a chance to ride it up and down the street. I have to say I'm am super impressed and glad I pulled the trigger.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    This thread is worthless without PICTURES

GAME ON!
    first post has a link, DT
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Wicketed
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    That's you told, Otis! Burner and Spot pictures please :-)
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

mtbr member

His first post has pics but more never hurts...
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    I woulda posted them yesterday but I was too busy putting my new bike together and riding it up and down the street. All my favorite trails are soaked. Looks like I'm going to have to find some non favorite trails.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    I added some pics to the original post. I took the 5 Spot for a spin a Soquel Demonstration Forest after work. All I have to say is WOW. I'm super impressed.

Good job DT.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I must admit that the new 5spot is awesome. Rides nice uphill but i feel my old 5spot, a 2008 HL, rides plusher on the downhill. Iv'e read that it takes several rides to break in the new bushings. Other wise, i'm very happy with my 2013 5spot. I kept my old 5spot as well. We put too many miles together in the last 5 years to be separated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoesRX8 View Post
    I must admit that the new 5spot is awesome. Rides nice uphill but i feel my old 5spot, a 2008 HL, rides plusher on the downhill. Iv'e read that it takes several rides to break in the new bushings. Other wise, i'm very happy with my 2013 5spot. I kept my old 5spot as well. We put too many miles together in the last 5 years to be separated.
    I'm going to hang onto my old Burner for the time being too. I've ridden it in CT, VT, MA, ME, RI, NY, NJ, PA, FL, CO, UT, CA & NV. I think I've done probably 25 or so cross country races and one super D race - 6 Hours of Kirkwood. I broke my face and my hand riding it. Those are too many experiences to just let go.

With the Burner I always felt I had to time my turns carefully because it would bounce all over the place. This was probably due to the fork and the tires. With the 5 spot the thing just sticks to the ground and goes where I point it. I use strava and yesterday's ride down Braille gave me several 2nd fastest times and I wasn't really trying. In fact I felt like I was holding back a lot. Also by the end of a ride my hands get a little sore. Not so yesterday. I feel very comfortable and at home on the spot. I know the Burner and the Spot are 2 totally different bikes but it's like the Spot has some of the Burner's genes. You can feel it.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Third ride on the 5 spot today. I spent a little time adjusting the Fork and Shock. This bike continues to amaze me. I use Strava and I got a PR on a downhill with out really trying.

My one complaint is the tires it came with. It has Kenda Excavators, a 2.36 in front and a 2.1 in back. The Burner has WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4's front and rear. I feel like the Excavators grip a lot more, but the Mutanoraptors roll waaaay faster. I'm going to hang onto the Excavators for awhile and maybe switch to something else mid summer or so.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    I also did my 3rd ride on my Spot....still finding the sweet spot on my RS Revelation Fork for the trails I am bombing....this bike really gives me more confidence ....one thing I can say with definiteness...the Spot is the best trail bike...period!

Just wondering how the new RS Pike with the charger damping system will work on my Spot....really glad I got the CK Inset7....tapered forks are most welcome.