mtbr member

Final 2007 XTR line-up

"to finish first you first must finish" - Mike Hailwood

on a routine expedition
    The new Avid brakes look good too (scroll down past the shiny Formula brakes):

LINK

Lay off the Levers
    looks like no more goofy spiders, yaaay now people can get a real bash ring on an XTR w/o the crazyness. Sometimes people change bikes and want to keep using their cranks for other things.

I'll bet the carbon/titainium middle ring costs a bundle.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    looks like no more goofy spiders, yaaay now people can get a real bash ring on an XTR w/o the crazyness. Sometimes people change bikes and want to keep using their cranks for other things.

I'll bet the carbon/titainium middle ring costs a bundle.
    Looks goofier to me, even if it happens to be a more standard BCD. Those rings are going to cost a fortune, more than the current ones which are already silly expensive. So, even less practical for non-XC racers than the '03 model. I've got an '03 XTR crank, and now that I'm needing new rings, I might as well just get a new XT or Deus crank for the same price.

Those four and five-arm brake rotors look pretty rad, but IMO rotors (like chainrings and cogs) should be considered a wear item, and it'd be nice if those sorts of parts weren't so dear.

Lay off the Levers
    Can't argue with any of that. I've bought two XTR cranksets in my lifetime. Great cranks but they leave you out in the cold if you later decide to take them beyond XC. No BG, and expensive replacements.

It would be cool if Shimano wouldn't punish the bling feinds by locking them out of practical use down the road. XT can use lower level replacement parts... XTR should too.

Bodhisattva
    I had a chance to ride those new Avid brakes. Crazy power. Feel similar to the Hope 6-pistons. Use bearings at the lever instead of bushings which make them silky smooth and no lever slop.
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 06-02-2006 at 07:40 AM.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Bodhisattva
    Actually Zilla, looks to me like Shimano made it even more proprietary - if there can be such a thing. Look at the spider arms and the tabs. Looks like the middle ring attaches to the big ring in such a way that the only bashguard that would work would be a 42 T minimum. Hopefully I'm looking at it wrong.

Lay off the Levers
    I'm not sure myself Squeak. From this picture it looks like the big ring spider arms reach all the way down to overlap the middle ring bolt holes. Even if the middle ring shares the same bolts as the big ring they have to bolt to the main spider. Maybe you can mount a BG right there? Whatever... I'll be very reluctant to buy an XTR crankset again... Shimano tries to hard to lock you into propriatary stuff and then changes the design every 3 or 4 of years anyway.

not so super...
    It would be cool if Shimano wouldn't punish the bling feinds by locking them out of practical use down the road.
    That's why the FSA Carbon Mega EXO cranks exist

Can't wait to see the production version of those Avids.

Another topic - have anyone seen the new Magura 2 piece rotor up close. Mag pics look way cool!
    Nothing to see here.

Lay off the Levers
    Personally I'm waiting for Thomson's Crankset... Did you see their Dopeafied blingalitious prototype w/ the CK outboard bearings?

Me neither cuz they don't exist!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    No BG, and expensive replacements.
    Without stirring the pot too much here (we've been through this before), there is at least one bash guard for the XTR Cranks, the Boone Ti guard.

The XTR Rings are ridiculously expensive, especially for how quickly they wear. However, the Boone Ti replacement rings are cheaper than the stock rings and have much, much improved durability.

So yeah XTR cranks are fine as long as you completely replace the three rings with Boone parts....

Flyin Canine
    zilla, that's just mean. Did your pack dump you on your head yesterday or soemthing?

Baked Alaskan

question

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    I had a chance to ride those new Avid brakes. Crazy power. Feel similar to the Hope 6-pistons. Use bearings at the lever instead of bushings which make them silky smooth and no lever slop.
    Yo Squeak - since you seem to have the dish on SRAM stuff - any work on when the new single crown FR forks are coming out??? I've been resisting the 66sl for my Spack build hoping they'll hit the trails in the next few weeks. I like those Avid Ultimates too - but they look like they'll make Martas cheap by comparison. Thanks in advance.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Bodhisattva
    New Rock Shox/SRAM stuff is uber-trick but not looking like we'll see the new schwag until late summer/fall.

Rock Shox Lyric & Totem will prove to be worth the wait.

Stay tuned.......

bike weenie
    We'll see - but per cyclingnews.com - it now shares the same bolt circle with XT and LX...

mtbr member
    I'm not sure myself Squeak. From this picture it looks like the big ring spider arms reach all the way down to overlap the middle ring bolt holes. Even if the middle ring shares the same bolts as the big ring they have to bolt to the main spider. Maybe you can mount a BG right there? Whatever... I'll be very reluctant to buy an XTR crankset again... Shimano tries to hard to lock you into propriatary stuff and then changes the design every 3 or 4 of years anyway.

I'm not sure what you are seeing, but it's just a regular 64/104 bcd pattern.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy
    I'm not sure what you are seeing, but it's just a regular 64/104 bcd pattern.
    Yep my point exactly. Looks sorta standard even if its not 104 bcd (Current XTR is 105 BCD just to Fock w/ people) the big ring and middle ring appear to have concentric bolt holes so a reasonable BG should be possible.

mtbr dismembered
    It would be cool if Shimano wouldn't punish the bling feinds by locking them out of practical use down the road. XT can use lower level replacement parts... XTR should too.
    well according to the latest release in cyclingnews.com, new one is the same 104/104/64mm pattern as cheaper Shimano cranks and almost all other four-bolt designs

LINK HERE