Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

filthy louise: a love story

we did our 4th annual gobble ride thurs am in ponca state park accross the river in ponca, nebraska. its a small area full of trail options although we seem to follow a standard path for this one. its a real up n down deal with hike a bikes, switchbacks, fast wooded 1 track, long grinders and stupid tall tranny drops all in a 10 mile run through heavy woods.

we usually have a good sized group for these but this years gobble ride took the cake with 11 bikes and 11 1/2 riders. wheres the 1/2 from? well moh is easly twice the rider the rest of us are so he gets the conservitive bonus. 1 rider i was happy to have along is a virgin to out group and trails. andi is a weekend anchor at the tv station and just got to town 4 months ago. over the last week i found out she was a collage mtb star in n.c. a few years back and rode in the denver area as well.

our steep hills and wooded trails took her some time to be pals with. at 1 point we had a little convo about her 'fall of the side of the bike' dismount style. i had some doubts in the beginnin but it turns out shes much like me. we prefer open areas with speed and tech so i showed her my fave section. about 1/2 mile or so of super fast 1 track down through a gorge with a huge 8' drop off the side down into the bottom. heres where it gets fun as it starts to follow the gully twistin back n forth. soon after the 1st big drop in, ya hit a 1 1/2 or 2' log drop at full tilt boogie, followed by a wall ride that offers up as much height as ya care to hang out. so far im good for about 7' but i see another 2 foot in my future. now comes the really cool bit. ya go back up the side about 8/9', over 3 big roots with a cliff to the floor only inches off yer left side, line up the blind approach to the drop back in about 35deg to the trail and no option but to get her pointed straight again befor the opposite side reaches out to ruin a otherwise fine trick. did i mention this entire section is waaaaaaaaaay off camber? she done good. rode the whole thing and showed up at the bottom with a smile as wide as the gorge is tall.

once finished and back at the car carvan, i busted out 2 six's of gold on ice in back of the passat. aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh! nuthin like a frosty kiltlifter with friends after a good ride. we tosted eachother and our ride then we toasted a friend recently lost to a heart attack. this day was for bob and i, for one, was damn thankful to have known and worked with him. no pics as i could not find my digi to save my life. squish may have gotten off a few good shots so we will have to wait for his fair weather ass to show back up.

so.... you may be askin yerself, "self? ("self", youll say.....) whats all this dirty louise crap about in the title? and what the fock does it have to do with love?" well, here ya go! in a last min decision, i mounted up the new brakes on the SPaaNB. wow! i dug em in utah but theres nuthin like usin a new part on familliar ground to give ya a true litmus test. as much as i like my bb7's these out perform them accross the board. once i dial in the reach, ill be all smiles.

happy thanxgivin all! goodbye bob.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 11-25-2006 at 11:48 AM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Lay off the Levers
    Sounds kewl cc. Looking forward to Squish's pix.

Funny how the media guy can't find a camera... funny...really funny...
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

trail fairy
    Hay CC awesome stuff dude, thanks for sharing I think

Im not sure if its because Im still recovering from oxygen deprivation from 7hrs away biking yesterday and 4 today (not all riding non stop mind u)
    or because you described so much.

Im not sure if youve met a new girl fallen in love or just enjoyed riding with this chick or rode with some of yr bros and remembered a fallen friend, my condolences there 2 CC

Or ya love the new brakes ya installed I guess on the old RFX was that all

my mind is running waaayy slow 2day, I need another nap the last 2hrs have not been enough

Ahhhh you dudes say ya don't know what the heck Im talking about
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Sounds like a good time was had, CC. My condolences on the loss of your friend. The Louises are great brakes. I just need to get mine bled right (I've tried 3 times with the rear and I think I have it right, and then it still has some air in there somewhere). But the BAT is sweet. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving too.

thanx man. im gettin tired of pals leavin. i just dont get it.

turkey day was great. hope everyones was too.

ta: shes just a work pal. bob was too when i ran the shop. he died last week of a heart attack while huntin. the brakes are sweet. i put em on the SPaaNB till the new rfx shows up or this one sells. whichever comes 1st. and yeah, get some air pal. yer a mess! hehe.
    No, I'm NOT back!

involuntary dismounter
    hey cc - cool story!
    i'm out of town without gigi...and really miss riding...thanks for making me live vicariously! sounds like an awesome ride, and the perfect way to remember and toast a good buddy! nicely done!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

PSI
    I want that one
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    so.... you may be askin yerself, "self? ("self", youll say.....) whats all this dirty louise crap about in the title? and what the fock does it have to do with love?" well, here ya go! in a last min decision, i mounted up the new brakes on the SPaaNB. wow! i dug em in utah but theres nuthin like usin a new part on familliar ground to give ya a true litmus test. as much as i like my bb7's these out perform them accross the board. once i dial in the reach, ill be all smiles.
    Hey CC, we had a discussion a while back regarding mech vs. hydro, glad youre seeing the light you also did yourself a favor going straight to the real thing (maggies) and not mucking around with juicys.

thanx p. id ridden a few hydros over the years and have indeed liked some of them just fine. always thought my bb7's were pretty much up to snuff till i got these on home soil. the progressive nature of the maggies caught me by surprise, even after my long day with em in utah. with our tight and twisty woods, we tend to use alot of brake, most of it in hard pulls as ya go deep into a corner. another thing that amazed me is not once did i lock em up on this ride. i wouldnt have expected that with a new system as i got used to its feel. the bb7's would lock from time to time if i was pushin it or lost attention to the lever.

i was lookin pretty hard at the juicys with all the closeout prices bein flung around lately but got lucky here. gotta admit though, im still worried about the whole magura upsidedown thing. if that becomes a issue, the bb7's will go back on faster than fo nizzle can put on his moms undies and ill be just as happy to do so as he is makin the change from aquas old used boxers.
    No, I'm NOT back!

PSI
    I want that one
    what upsidedown thing?

maggies draw air into the system when turned on their lids. can ya say "lever to the bar!"?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    CC, I'm not sure if they actually draw air into the system. Or if they put any air that may still be in the system back into the brake line. Just out of curiosity, have you asked Magura's tech support. E-mail or call them. They're great to deal with.

guess its possible, but as i understand it a proper bleed removes any air, right? hell i dunno. callin maggie central may be a great idea. thanx man. ive delt with them once at big bear several years ago. very cool folks and super helpful. they ended up sendin me a free bag of spare hydro fittings for my race lines. one of the reasons i was pleased to get these brakes.
    No, I'm NOT back!

KgB
    SNGLSPD

magura

guess its possible, but as i understand it a proper bleed removes any air, right? hell i dunno. callin maggie central may be a great idea. thanx man. ive delt with them once at big bear several years ago. very cool folks and super helpful. they ended up sendin me a free bag of spare hydro fittings for my race lines. one of the reasons i was pleased to get these brakes.
    I have only seen that problem with Martas and it can be aleviated by preloading the system a bit.I think magura makes some of the most consitent trouble free brakes out there,certainly better than my el caminos.
    I've been inside too long.

explain yerself man! pre load the system?
    No, I'm NOT back!

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    explain yerself man! pre load the system?
    shoot a little extra juice in the system.on some brakes as the pads wear the resovoir doesn't stay full which allows air in.even with brand new pads the pistons are out a little
    I've been inside too long.

makes sense to me. thanx man.
    No, I'm NOT back!