Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Never enough time to ride

A few updates...

Had a bit of UGI lately. Took care of an under achieving fork, and sated my curiosity about the rear damping. In all, I dropped a bit of weight, and improved peformance on the front end and improved small hit sensitivity on the back end.

Dropped the Codes in favor of a set of Formulas I had sitting on the shelf and the end result was a drop from right around the 37 lbs to about 35 lbs built up heavy. Lots of fun to play on, now we just gotta get rid of this rain crap!!

happy trails...

squish
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Get out and ride!

a tight kick sound
    That sure is beautiful Josh!
    Nice work

BODYSNATCHER

Dude, yer extension cord is showing!

But man, that is a nice ride. No matter how many times I see that color, I still love the hue.

No rain in that pic, why not ride?
    High up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home...

TLL
    mtbr member
    Very Nice indeed. How do you like the Advantage?
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by mr magu
    ha ha! yer turn to answer the never ending question squish. i took my turn already this weekend in my thread.

the bike: thats what im talkin bout baby! lookin gooooooood! would look even better with about 4 hunny in cash stuch between the cables.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Quote Originally Posted by mr magu
    But man, that is a nice ride. No matter how many times I see that color, I still love the hue.

The trails are soaked, it rained from the time I got up in the morning until I went to bed last night. Otherwise there isn't much that would have kept me off the trails today. But there will always be time to ride another day.

I still love the color, though there are times I think black would be just as sweet.

Here's hoping for some dirt time later this week.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    ha ha! yer turn to answer the never ending question squish. i took my turn already this weekend in my thread.

the bike: thats what im talkin bout baby! lookin gooooooood! would look even better with about 4 hunny in cash stuch between the cables.
    Yes it would, hopefully that shows up some time this week eh

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

just need to get to the bank. hows tues sound? we can hit it after a early ride.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    Very Nice indeed. How do you like the Advantage?
    So far I'm really diggin the AD's. They've hooked up in everything I've thrown at them thus far. The only that I don't think they'd do very well in is hard core rocks, like Moab or Hurricane, I think you'd probably cut the sidewalls pretty easy. Bummer is they don't come in a 2 ply, eh there's always other options I suppose.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    just need to get to the bank. hows tues sound? we can hit it after a early ride.
    Sounds like a damn fine plan to me, I'll be in touch tomorrow.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

BODYSNATCHER

Ooops..

Quote Originally Posted by squish
    The trails are soaked, it rained from the time I got up in the morning until I went to bed last night. Otherwise there isn't much that would have kept me off the trails today. But there will always be time to ride another day.

I still love the color, though there are times I think black would be just as sweet.

Here's hoping for some dirt time later this week.

happy trails...

squish
    'nuff said. Better to ride the couch than f up the trails. Good for you guys. Wish people around here would pay more attention to trail damage. CC tells me the rangers actually close the parks after good rain. Wish they'd do that here.
    Ride report when it dries, we'll be a waitin'.
    High up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home...

trail fairy
    Very Nice Squish very nice, yummy color and loving ya fork and shock choice

How about a full speccs list for me to cruise over, I got some time to kill so be appreciated

Is your frame a large 07/08 or XL looks like ya got a bit of clearance wit the Roco TST?

Digging it, nice to see an RFX dressed for battle for a change! no dis to the rest either they all stunning weapons, I just prefer the bazooka aproach than the M16 is all

Chur Squish!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

TA, here ya go, hasn't changed a whole lot from the original spec and I've got a few other changes planned but nothing earth shattering.

Frame- 2008 XL RFX
    Shock- 2008 Marzocchi Rocco TST R
    Fork- 2008 Rock Shox Lyric Coil U-Turn
    Headset- Chris King Steelset
    Stem- Race Face Atlas AM, 90mm x 7deg
    Handlebar- Easton EA70 Monkyelite
    Shifters- Shimano XT Rapid Fire
    Brakes- Formula Oro K24, 180/160 (I do have a 203 front too, but I'm experimenting)
    Seat Post- Precision Cycling AMP, 1" and 4"
    Saddle- WTB Laser V
    Front Der- Shimano XT
    Rear Der- Shimano XT Shadow, Mid Cage
    Chain- SRAM PC991 CS
    Cassette- SRAM PG990, 11-34
    Crank- Race Face Atlas, 175mm, 22-34-Bash
    BB- Race Face X-type w/ Enduro Bearing Set
    Pedals- Shimano M646
    Rims- DT Swiss 5.1D
    F Hub- Marzocchi QR20 (meh, it works)
    R Hub- DT Swiss 340, QR
    Spokes- DT Swiss Comp Black
    Tires- Maxxis ADvantage 26 x 2.4

Really solid build and definately a Bazooka, but it's a lot more bike than I can use right now. Hoping to grow a larger pair as the year wears on and learn how to ride this thing at the level I know it can be used at. Clearance is good with the Rocco, I have to turn the TST around so it turn back wards, but it works a treat, really digging it right now.

I think I might be able to sink into the dirt a little bit on Tuesday, I guess we'll see how that works out. Ride report to follow.

Magu, they do in fact close the trails around here, but it doesn't keep the horses off, or those who are just to dumb not to head the warnings, and the soild around here is easily eroded by irresponsible jack a$$es!! I try not to be that guy, God knows I like a muddy ride just like the next guy, but I'm not going to screw it up for everyone else just so I can get in a wet ride.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Looks great squish. Give us a ride report on the Lyrik after you put a few miles on it.

now we just gotta get rid of this rain crap!!
    Rain? Don't even remember what that is...

trail fairy
    Cheers Squish appreciate

Nw to submitt and have a good pourose chur..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

First ride thoughts

So I finally got the new fork in the dirt this morning. First thing I noticed was how much stiffer the fork was and how much harder I could push it into the corners and into the rough stuff before I started to notice flex, and most of that was coming from the bar and stem. Damping wise it blows the old Z150 out of the water, it feels super controlled through the whole range of travel and shaft speeds. The rebound is very dependent on shaft speed and responds accordingly, first thing you'll notice when smacking a bigger hit is the rebound damper makes a much louder hiss sound then on little bumps. There aren't a lot of drops around about these parts, so I don't have much to report on that part but I should in about a week or so. For the most part the fork feels deep and bottomless, it feels like there's a nice ramp up at the end stroke, I didn't really bottom it on even the biggest hits around here. Seems to ride in the top of it travel very nicely. I've got an extra firm spring kit installed (220-225 lbs in gear), 4 clicks High Speed Comp, 4 Clicks Low Speed Comp, 1 Turn Flood Gate, and I don't remember what the Rebound setting is (pretty much RS recommended starting point for now).

The rear shock is very nice. I've been riding on that for a little over a month already. It compliments the fork very nicely. The two dampers play very well together. The stroke, like the fork, feels bottomless with a nice ramp up at the end. The TST knob is effective through out all 5 adjustment points. The big surprise with the TST is how active the shock is in climbing mode, it's noticeably firmer than at full open, but it's not totally locked out and is free to absorb most of the mid to large sized hits. I run it in the middle position for the most part around here, but for the downhills I'll still open it up and let her budge. I've got 180 psi in the compression chamber, and that seems to provide a balanced feel to the high speed compression, not harsh, but a nice controlled ramp up through the stroke. Rebound has a speed sensitive feel, kicking in the most on high speed/hard impacts. In all I actually like this damper better than my Pushed DHXC (sorry Darren). A note for XL RFX users, to clear the down tube, the shock must be turned "upside down" and the TST knob has to be clocked so it moves back towards the body of the shock rather than towards the front.

In all I'm very happy with the suspension, we'll see what durability looks like at the end of the year. Looking foward to getting this setup out to the hills and giving it something to really chew on.

happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!

i can't type the letter s
    Squish, nice componentry (and I'm not just saying that cause it's really similar to mine). I think you are really going to like the fork. Good write up on your first ride also. For me I have the LS and HS compression dialed all the way out until I'm dropping something, then the HS goes up 5 clicks. I am riding a firm spring but my ride weight is squarely in between a firm and and a stock.

our little squishy was on it yesterday! there was a trail section on the toe that has a major rut down the middle of a desent. i followed him through it at speed on the outside smoother line while he attacked the ugly middle. it got both of our attention, ill tell ya that. from what i could see a few feet off his wheel, his rfx ate it up but i was kinda busy stayin alive. through the ride he was all smiles. rapid city and the bhftf is gonna be interesting next weekend!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Team Sanchez
    Squish,

What'd ya do with the old Push'd DHX? So are you telling me you prefer the Roco to the Push?
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    I'm diggin' that green... I gotta say though, I hated the Roco TST when I had it on my Highline - felt like I was going to lose my fillings (even in DH setting & I tried just about every rebound setting). Killer build nonetheless.

+1 for wishing the Advantage came in a 2-ply.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

banned
    That Lyrik looks great. It making me have some LGI (lateralgradeitis) from my 36 TALAS.

trail fairy
    Chur Squish, nice follow up, info on the test ride nice and great feedback, Lyrik Utrun always seemed underated/overlooked too me, love ya build

Good back up commentary from CC in the backup seat, had me LMAO would have loved to seen that on video!

Stingers and Coils to make a come back later this year, UGI round 3

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    What'd ya do with the old Push'd DHX? So are you telling me you prefer the Roco to the Push?
    Still got the Pushed DHX, one of these days I'm gong to take them out and do a few back to back runs with it. I couldn't quiet get the small hit sensitivity out of it that I wanted. Then throw in my natural curiosity and over whelming desire to try new things and there ya go. I'm definately keeping the Push, but it may end up relegated to the spares box as long as the Rocco proves to be solid.

"I hated the Roco TST when I had it on my Highline - felt like I was going to lose my fillings (even in DH setting & I tried just about every rebound setting)."

Hmm, odd, mine is nice and smooth, it's really wide open in DH mode, and firm in CL mode. I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the difference linkage set ups? Seems like what works well on one frame works like poo on another.

TA, I'm with ya on the underated and often over looked part. The Lyric has had it's share of bad news, but so has every other "Light weight, Long travel fork." The Light weight and the Long travel are the issue it seems. I guess we'll see how everything works out through the rest of the season. Cheers!

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

fried stuff with cheese
    TA, I'm with ya on the underated and often over looked part. The Lyric has had it's share of bad news, but so has every other "Light weight, Long travel fork." The Light weight and the Long travel are the issue it seems. I guess we'll see how everything works out through the rest of the season.
    I had a Lyrik coil on my 06 RFX and sold it. Put a 55 on my new RFX and while I haven't had any issues with it I just can't get it to feel as good as I thought the Lyrik felt. Anyway, new Lyrik coil is on the way along with the new 2 step guts just in case I get curious.
    Egg

Funny you mention the 2 step, not a week after I ordered up my coil the 2 steps went on sale, for like $100 less than what I paid for my coil!! That's just my freaking luck. I'm curious about the 2 step, but not enough to want to swap out my guts just yet. Maybe down the road...err...trail.

happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast