mtbr member

A few questions re my 6 pack

Hi Guys and Girls,

I need some advice and hope you can help.

1. I'm off to the French Alps in July and for the sort of riding I'll be doing out there I don't think I really want to abuse my Z1's for 2 weeks of DH etc, so I was thinking of getting some 2nd hand 170mm 888's - can I fit these to the pack alright? I seem to remember that it was ok but can't find anything on the turner site.

2. I'm being very lazy here but what's the dhx-c shock stroke? I just want to check if the 500lb spring is the right size for me, I'm about 86kg, I thing thats like 170lbs!

3. Has anyone had problems with the paint scarring, some of it heavy, under the derailleur cables etc on the top tube? I've had my bike since just before Christmas but have ridden it a max of 8 times due to a viral infection and breaking my ankle, so needless to say I'm a little disappointed about the paint quality, especially as we pay 100 for it, about $170. So, my question is how did you get around it, did you put some helicoptor tape over the tube to protect it and if so did you polish the bike first and again if so what with?

I know so many questions, but hopefully someone can help, poor little ol me

Thanks in advance

Spence

Elitest thrill junkie
    Just look for a used 03-05 Super T. That would work much better and be cheaper. The shock stroke is 2.0".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    If you weigh 86kg you are about 190lbs so you will need a 600lb spring at least then check your sag to be sure, 30% of your shock stroke i.e 15mm sag,
    Enjoy France, I am there at the end of August on my Pack so post a review of your trip

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpannerMatthews
    1. I'm off to the French Alps in July and for the sort of riding I'll be doing out there I don't think I really want to abuse my Z1's for 2 weeks of DH etc, so I was thinking of getting some 2nd hand 170mm 888's - can I fit these to the pack alright? I seem to remember that it was ok but can't find anything on the turner site.
    Not sure where you're going or what your planning but climbing to the trail heads can be a pain... Perhaps you'll shuttle all the time?

I'm also off to the French Alps in the end of August, so post some reviews. I'm going there with this group: http://www.outbreak-adventure.co.uk/biking/index.php
    Regards,
    /Tobbe - In Mud We Thrust / Carpe Diem

not so super...
    To protect the top tube from cable rub I used a Lizard Skin carbon chain stay patch. Clean the paint with rubbing alcohol (included in the kit) and apply. Since this picture was taken I have also added plastic fiber optic cable sleeves over my derailleur cables.

Nothing to see here.

Lay off the Levers
    I wrapped my Spot's and Pack's TT and other cabled areas with VeloSkin clear 3M tape.

It's nearly invisible and even eliminates the existing cable-rub haze by adding a shiny new surface. The stuff on the ST of the Spot is "BikeShield" a defunct competetor's product. It's ~3x thicker so you can see the edges a lot easier than the 3M stuff. Because it's thinner it's easier to cut and fit in to compound curved areas. It can be "worked" into place nicely using soapy water.

Of course it'll get scuffy over time, but your paint won't get touched. Also since it's plastic you can rub a little wax into the haze and buff it clear again. (If you really care) It's also good to do the TT if you wear leg pads often. I get quite a lot of pad rub from the right leg.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 05-15-2006 at 09:23 AM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by SpannerMatthews
    Hi Guys and Girls,

I need some advice and hope you can help.

Spence
    Spence,

I'll be in Les Gets, Chamonix and Verbier in August and it seems like the consensus from those I've spoken with was to bring my 6x6 bike (leaving the dh bike at home) because we'll still be doing some big climbs to go with the huge descents. My fork on that bike is a Sherman Flick Plus and I've done some good sized drops/gaps on it and the Z1 FR is easily on par with that fork (if not better....it is a zocchi, after all).

I guess what I'm saying is....unless you're going to be exclusively riding in the bike parks for your trip, you should consider how much climbing you'll be doing and how the extra height/weight of a dual crown fork will affect your 6 pack. I don't think the Z1 is gonna have issues on 95% of the terrain there, but it depends on what you'll be riding.

Cheers,
    EBX

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

pics

I would like to see the abnormal wear on the paint of the Pack? We had some paint issues 3 years ago, but since switching painters the quality is as good as any powder painter anywhere.

mtbr member

Ride up hill

Ride up hill in the Alps, are you lot mad? That's what they've got lifts for

Thanks for you advice fella's.

I will try to do a report, but knowing me there will be precious few pictures as I tend to forget about my camera, althouth there may well be a few nice shots of us having lunch!!

Dave - i'll post up a pic of my top tube by the weekend