FM
    luxatio erecta

A few pictures from last nights ride....

I've been dutifully hauling my camera on rides and applying the excellent photography advice gathered here....

Well conditions are pretty tough since we do much of our riding at night...and we've got cold temperatures and fog, so using a flash just lights the fog up. I quit fighting it and just took long exposures with no flash & high ISO's, using my HID to get some light. The good news is I'll have my camera pretty well figured out by the time temps warm up enough to use the flash at night, let alone during daylight hours!

Still, a few fun "experimental" photos from a good winter ride last night:
    Phantom Rider ( 2.5 seconds, f2.8, 1600 ISO, no flash)

(5 seconds, f2.8, 1600 ISO, no flash)

Kevmo on his tranny single-speed hardtail (1/8, f2.8, 1600 ISO, slow synch 2nd curtain flash)

Pondering the fate of the great crested western newt (15 seconds, f2.8, 1600 ISO, no flash)

Sl4yEr_RulEz works his beer goggles (1/30, f2.8, 1600 ISO, slow synch 2nd curtain flash)

Dimly hucking (1/25th, f2.8, 1600 ISO, no flash)
    Last edited by FM; 01-23-2009 at 09:56 PM.

Moosehead
    nice, it's freaking impossible to get good night shots. also an under-rated time to saddle up.

mtbr member
    nice work. Is that Tokul? What's holding up around Seattle for decent riding?
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    yup. Pretty much everywhere is good at the moment, since we haven't had rain in a week!
    The previous week was as different story, as you probably know. deep standing water on the same trails and of course, flood damage.

Get it while it's good....

Lay off the Levers
    They're all pretty slick. #1 is my favorite.

I never tried shooting at 1600iso, gotta give it a go.

I've seen water spots like that in my pictures before...Interesting how moisture in the air will produce droplets on the picture even though it's not raining and you can't see them while shooting, even in daylight.

Y'might consider sizing or cropping your posts down to 850w to avoid side scrolling.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Y'might consider sizing or cropping your posts down to 850w to avoid side scrolling.
    Yeah... I'll do that next time when I get better pix.
    These are on flickr and I get size options, tiny, small and huge.

Funny story, I stopped on the last descent to shoot. After everybody had ridden past, I was the last guy up and my light went totally dead. Over 3hrs in the woods so I should have seen it coming. I had a maglite but had busted the bulb off earlier in the evening. Knowing there was a spare bulb in the end cap of the maglite, I used the light from the camera's LCD screen to change the bulb, then I was able to ride out.

close call....

Lay off the Levers
    I size my pictures with my photo editor (PSE6) as it generally does a better job of not cocking up the pic quality as much as Photobucket does. I tweak everything there anyway so I might as well size it too. Good thing is it can batch process and size a bunch of shots at once so it's easy.

I got turned around in the woods once and the sun went down. Well past twighlight, I had to use the force to ride out, as I could only see the difference btwn dammed-dark and really-frikin-dammed-dark. I just sayed real loose, kept the bike on the lesser of the two and let the shocks do the rest. Scary.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Wow those are great pics.

Do you mind telling us what exposure/f-stop you used. Just got a fancy camera for my birthday and I've been thinking about trying to get some night pics with it.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    it's freaking impossible to get good night shots.
    Nonsense.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Captain Underpants
    FM, those shots are really quite nice. You should submit the 5th one to DirtRag, I guarantee it is the exact type of shot they look for and like to publish. TS, you should do the same with pic #2.

I had no issues with side scrolling, methinks someone needs to dump their 13" CRT.

mtbr member
    Another option when shooting at night is to embrace the darkness, not trying to emulate daytime shots.

Tripod + long exposure can produce some pretty nice results

mtbr member
    Those long exposure shot are great!

mtbr member
    Great pics FM, love the first one! I really want to get back out there with you guys! Maybe when I get back from SLC.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by FM

Pondering the fate of the great crested western newt

I really like this pic... nice ilumination and colors....

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Glad you guys dig the photos!
    Honestly I'm just excited for warmer/dryer conditions so I can use the flash. Pretty tough at night, without it.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    Tripod + long exposure can produce some pretty nice results
    That's exactly how I got the 1st, 2nd & 4th photos below!
    Of course yours came out much better

Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    Do you mind telling us what exposure/f-stop you used.
    No problem, I'll put add the exif info to the pictures below. Stay tuned....

mtbr member
    That's exactly how I got the 1st, 2nd & 4th photos below!
    Of course yours came out much better
    It's quite a bit easier shooting in the desert southwest than it would be in the pacific northwest.

But if I could offer any advice it would be to use slave flashes, and avoid going too high on the ISO.

Moosehead
    OK, OK, so I'll work on the photog, get a pod, and make more effort. Will have the time now with a busted rib so, please keep bringing the pointers. Note that I don't have the luxury of having attractive riding partners, so it'll have to be about the bike and landscapes.

Tscheeze and Andy N, are all the above shots with a tripod and P&S? AndyN, how long are those exposures? Great stuff.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    But if I could offer any advice it would be to use slave flashes, and avoid going too high on the ISO.
    Good tips, thanks! I've been curious about remote flashes, looking to pick one of those and a wide angle lens up.

Will have the time now with a busted rib so, please keep bringing the pointers.
    Yeah this has been an excellent "recovery" hobby for me.
    7 fractures in foot= 5 months, feels good!
    Learning basics of photography = 6 months and counting!

No, that's not phonetic
    All of mine were hand-held with a P&S. They are basically always grab pics and I rarely change settings on the camera for specific conditions. Turning the flash on and off is about as far as I get into button pushing.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    yup. Pretty much everywhere is good at the moment, since we haven't had rain in a week!

Get it while it's good....
    Great advice. I didn't have alot of time, as my boys had baseball try-outs. So, I went out to St. Eds. It was in really good shape, wow was I surprised. A little cold at 8 am, right around 29. Everything was really good, except for the big jumps down by the creek. I don't hit those, but always like to check them out and watch others. Hopefully, I will catch you down there sometime huck'n!

thanks again for the good advice, I am really glad I got out there today!
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

mtbr member
    Tscheeze and Andy N, are all the above shots with a tripod and P&S? AndyN, how long are those exposures? Great stuff.
    Thanks.

Mine are tripod + DSLR.

30sec exposure on both shots.