Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Reputation: Aquaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,960

    A few pics from yesterday's ride

    Sorry about the Sh****Y pic quality, the lighting was sketchy. Had a chance to put the new Ti spring through it's paces.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

  2. #2
    M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Reputation: Acadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,535
    nice...where is that?

    other than weight, did you notice a difference Ti vs Steel?

  3. #3
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,946
    yeah, looks like a fun drop. Is that near San Juan trail?

    I have to admit, I spent a week near san diego, I didn't expect very good riding.... I hooked up with a shop guy and we did san juan trail a few different ways. pretty good stuff! I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg. a LOT different than seattle riding though.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    nice...where is that?

    other than weight, did you notice a difference Ti vs Steel?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: geardoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    ...snip ...a LOT different than seattle riding though.....

    How so are San Diego and Seattle different in riding? I've never ridden in Washington state, but much of the west coast forrests seem very similar. Apart from some places are more desert like and others have tall trees.

  5. #5
    PITY THE FOOL!
    Reputation: troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by geardoc
    How so are San Diego and Seattle different in riding? I've never ridden in Washington state, but much of the west coast forrests seem very similar. Apart from some places are more desert like and others have tall trees.
    Seattle - wet
    San Diego - dry

    Check out the background in the pictures. No trees to be found. Most of the So Cal riding is not in what the rest of the world would call forests. We've got some trees but for the most part it's scrub brush that has since been burned away from the October fires. Nice trees to be found in the Lagunas and Cuyamacas but those areas were burned to a crips.

    Pictures appear to be from Anderson TT. Nice air shots aqua.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

  6. #6
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,946
    Yep, and: roots, roots, roots... There's more roots in a foot of some local seattle trails than I saw on the entire san juan trail system. In the winter the roots are covered with mulch and wet leaves, and then you'd better come correct, especially if you night ride. Then you don't even see half the wet wood you're riding over. You can lean all you want but you gotta keep the bike upright!

    It's not better or worse, or even more difficult, just different skills required. I know the sandy, rutted nature of some of the san juan trails really had me scrambling for the best approach while descending. After a few days, it was starting to make sense. Thats why I love travelling and riding different trails, it really makes you think about your technique...



    Quote Originally Posted by troy
    Seattle - wet
    San Diego - dry

    Check out the background in the pictures. No trees to be found. Most of the So Cal riding is not in what the rest of the world would call forests. We've got some trees but for the most part it's scrub brush that has since been burned away from the October fires. Nice trees to be found in the Lagunas and Cuyamacas but those areas were burned to a crips.

    Pictures appear to be from Anderson TT. Nice air shots aqua.

  7. #7
    M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Reputation: Acadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,535
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    It's not better or worse, or even more difficult, just different skills required. I know the sandy, rutted nature of some of the san juan trails really had me scrambling for the best approach while descending. After a few days, it was starting to make sense. Thats why I love travelling and riding different trails, it really makes you think about your technique...
    word...well said!! This past summer I did a long road trip and rode tons of new trails in Humbolt, Hood River, Arcata (sp?), Ashland, Seattle, Vancouver, Whistler, SoCal, etc.. and although similar the riding was much different!! Fun times..

  8. #8
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,946

    ... and if we just ...

    You know what else I like- going to arizona / utah every spring....in the bright sun, our skin looks translucent blue after a winter in Seattle!

    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    word...well said!! This past summer I did a long road trip and rode tons of new trails in Humbolt, Hood River, Arcata (sp?), Ashland, Seattle, Vancouver, Whistler, SoCal, etc.. and although similar the riding was much different!! Fun times..

  9. #9
    M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Reputation: Acadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,535
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    You know what else I like- going to arizona / utah every spring....in the bright sun, our skin looks translucent blue after a winter in Seattle!
    I hear ya...I was in Nevada (Bootleg Canyon) two weekends ago...so nice!! Give me 90+ weather and a dust bowl any day over rain/cold.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrashTheDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,382
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    You know what else I like- going to arizona / utah every spring....
    FM,

    You coming to So. Utah? If so, let me know and we'll have a mini Turner festival.

    Crash

  11. #11
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,946

    ... and if we just ... Thanks Crash!

    I juist emailed ya the details, but we'll be in Moab april 9-12, and down in sedona May 8-15th.
    I'd love to hook up!

    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    FM,

    You coming to So. Utah? If so, let me know and we'll have a mini Turner festival.

    Crash

  12. #12
    Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Reputation: Aquaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,960

    Ride difference on Ti Spring

    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    nice...where is that?

    other than weight, did you notice a difference Ti vs Steel?
    Location = Alpine(east of San Diego).

    Difference in the Ti vs Steel spring? My wallet is a Hell of lot lighter.

    It's really hard to quantify the difference between the Ti vs the Steel spring. As I mentioned in another thread, I am somewhat in between spring rates. I was running a 550 with 0 preload. With this Ti spring, I went with a 500 and two turns of preload. I also turned up the volume slightly on the compression damping.

    SO, I can't really offer an "apples to apples" comparison.

    The ride is obviously plusher. I was concerned about it being to light, and hurting my climbing. And, I certainly didn't want to have the shock bottoming excessively in the chunk.

    I've gotten 4 good long, hard rides in and so far I'm pleased.

    One thing that occured to me regarding spring rates, is that when I begin my rides, my pack is crammed with food and the 100 oz bladder is full. I'm easily hauling an extra 10 - 12 pounds. I really haven't noticed a problem with climbing though the boulders and steps. And the thing is...once the suffering portion of the ride is over and it's time to enjoy some gravity, my pack is considerably lighter. Bottoming in the high speed chunk has not been an issue.

    My point is that some riders swear that the only way to accurately check sag is with ready to ride weight applied to the suspension. Actual ride weights may not be the end all way of measuring sag. For me, it's more of a seat of the chamios thing.

    BTW, I plan on exchanging this excessively long spring for the shorter one, once they become available from 123 bikes.

    .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 03-26-2004 at 09:10 AM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 97
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 05:15 PM
  2. FINALLY Her first real ride with lots of pics!
    By crashedandburned in forum Passion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 05:57 PM
  3. last nights ride pics
    By front range migz in forum Passion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 09:18 AM
  4. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 05:45 AM
  5. pics from Mililani ride
    By ArmySlowRdr in forum Passion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 07:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •