nerfherder

Feedback on RFXs/Packs with a Pikes

Hi Everyone,
    Looking at doing a RS Pike/6Pack set up. Through my searches I've noticed a few people with this set up (notably: Squeeky Wheel and Darren @ Push). I know some will say that the A-C is too short and it'll negatively affect the handling. But I was hoping that those with experience on this set up would be able to more tangilbly state both the pros as well as the cons. Theory and opinion are welcome but actual experience is gold. If it matters, I'm on a small 05 Pack, weigh ~160, and ride in SoCal.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I am interested in comments as well. I have a Pike and a Fox Talas 36 RC2 that came on my Pack. I am giving the Talas a go right nowand then I will be putting on the Pike for a while to compare. I currently find the front end of my Pack to lift pretty easily while climbing with the 36. Even with a longer stem and the travel dialed down a bit.

With the Pike, the HA will steepen a degree or so, which should keep the front end planted a little more firmly. I really don't think a 69dg HA will be that detrimental on the Packs handling. My Heckler had a 69dg HA and It felt okay when going down the steeps.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Hi Everyone,
    Looking at doing a RS Pike/6Pack set up. Through my searches I've noticed a few people with this set up (notably: Squeeky Wheel and Darren @ Push). I know some will say that the A-C is too short and it'll negatively affect the handling. But I was hoping that those with experience on this set up would be able to more tangilbly state both the pros as well as the cons. Theory and opinion are welcome but actual experience is gold. If it matters, I'm on a small 05 Pack, weigh ~160, and ride in SoCal.

Thanks.
    I've had a Pike Team, 36 TALAS (147mm travel) and Van36 (160mm travel) on my Pack. IMHO, the A-C height of the 36 TALAS (~535mm) is perfect on the Pack. Makes for a balanced ride. No surprise as the Pack was designed around 535mm A-C.

With the Pike on it, the Pack rode like a Spot; more cross country-like due to the steeper angles. I didn't care for it since I also have a Spot, no point in having a heavy Spot.

With the Van36, about 20+mm taller than the 36, climbing technical terrain is a bit harder as I have to shift my weight up a bit more. But you are rewarded with a more stable ride on the DH. I compensated for the taller A-C by lowering my bar height.

IMHO, I would not put a Pike on a Pack. I think it is well suited for the Spot but not the Pack. Another option would be to wait to the RS Lyric.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have a Pike on my RFX right now and think it's a little bit short on the A-C length. I think it makes for a rocket trail bike (which is nice to know that it's versatile enough to do that), but I'd prefer to run it with a longer travel fork. It felt pretty good with a Z150 (I think the A-C was 538mm) but still wanted a bit higher front end. I'm looking forward to Rock Shox's upcoming fork releases.

mtbr member

Been running the Pike on the RFX since December

...and being my first heavy duty do-it-all trail/fr bike, I am already ready for more fork. The pike has done me well, but I am starting to bottom out on it, and I can tell it doesn't really match the rear end on the RFX. The pike is very adjustable and plush, but it is not a 150or 160 mm fork...I have to concur w/ the previous posters--wait for the RS and Marz single crown stuff on deck, or go w/ a 36.
    John
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

nerfherder

I'm so impatient...

...because I can't wait for the Lyric to come out. Anyone hear anything about the MSRP on that thing?

Everyone, great feedback. Thanks. Seems like this group so far doesn't like Piked Packs. I'd love to get a 36 TALAS if they weren't an arm and a leg and another arm. The Van36 is always tempting but I want to try a travel adjust fork since I've only ridden fixed travel forks so far.

I was thinking if I got the Pike I'd try that Ventana Crown Race doohickey to get another 7mm of height on the front. But really, I should just step up to the 36, wait for the RS Lyric, or start considering one of the Zoke Z1s.

mtbr member
    Had a Pike on my '02 RFX for most of last year. Awesome for trail stuff, but a bit out of its depth on the freeride stuff. - Just a bit too steep, and blew through its travel too easily on big hits. I was having to back off a bit, just when the back end started to wake up.

Now running Z1FR1's and they're better for the FR, but not so hot for trail.

YMYV.... (although the Lyrics look good)

Just another FOC'er
    I've got a friend who built one up with the Ventana crown race extender, but I still think his is a bit steep.

I even think mine's a little steep for some of the trails around here and I've got a Z150 on it. I really like the overall handling with the 538 A-C though, so I don't want to get a longer fork just for a few super steep trails.

Bodhisattva
    No rights or wrongs here. Just depends on how you use your bike.
    Just like arguing whether a Pike is proper on a Spot when DT originally designed it around a Fox

My 6-Pack is my do-everything XC/All-Mtn/Trailride/Freeride light fbike(I had to include all these terms to guarantee that it pisses off Gonzo in some way). I'm not dropping anything bigger than 3-4 feet. Those days are mostly behind me and my bike setup with the Pike performs exceptionally above.

As stated above, Pike slackens the HA about a degree. But it also drops the BB and the overall effect is a bike that's more maneuverable through the twisties at the expense of stability although I wouldn't catagorize the 68.5 HA with the Pike as twitchy by any means. And I slackened it out a bit with the 9mm Ventana King headset spacer.
    I have an o-ring on the stanchion of my coil Pike and it rarely bottoms and it feels as buttery smooth as the day I got it and I've yet to do an oil change. Not really needed too often on this fork. It uses a very small amount of oil and the oil stays clean. No messy shavings in the oil like you see on some forks.

I do admit that I'll be the first to buy a Lyric when it hits the market. It's not that I don't like the feel of the 36V,66 or Z1, but none offer the perfect blend of weight, easy travel adjustability, stiffness, superior damping, spring rate, and tune-ability that I'm looking for. Oh, and the Maxle.
    For my needs, Pike is the only current fork that has what I need although Lyric takes it a few steps further and is worth the wait.
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 05-12-2006 at 08:45 AM.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    I just took a 6" firefly spv off a couple weeks ago and installed a new pike 426 along with 5" rockers. Other than the ominous clearance issues with the adj. knobs, I think the fork is great. Initially, I thought is was way undersprung but after screwing with the compression a little, I kinda like the lighter spring. There is a little bob on climbing but it's super plush in the rough stuff.

I got to ride it a couple hours Wednesday. I hit everything on the trail I normally hit which consists of drops, doubles, gaps, etc and it performed excellent. Here's an old pic [on a different bike obviously] of one of the jumps I hit Wednesday with the pike clad 5-pack.

banned
    why would you get a 6-Pack frame and run a wimpy fork that makes the head angle 70degrees?

another poseur in the making!

mtbr member
    you worry about you and I'll worry about me

the trails out here don't really warrant a huge fork but the burlyness of the six pack frame is nice when doing drops, gaps, etc. sorry to offend you with my choice of bike parts...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Gonzo...didn't you just post this less than an hour ago concerning a fork for a 5-spot (which is basically what Tiles is riding with a little more beef)?

Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    after comparing the rides of my 6-Pack (36 Van) and 5-Spot (Vanilla RLC 130mm) I would suggest something less stocky than a 36.

if'n youse can hack the air / plastic thing, Pike.

if'n youse kant,

the Vanilla 32mm chassis is plenty beefy and if you blame the fork on your fear of doing 2-3 foot drops, you're putting the blame in the wrong place.

nerfherder

So....

Sweet. Some Gonzo controversy on my post. Thanks for all the replies folks. I ended up getting a TALAS 36, which these days seems equally controversial for different reasons. At least I got a killer deal on it. When the Lyric comes out I may have to consider a swap.