arbiter
    Aug 2005

Fat fork on a liiiitle bike

Hey there.

I was curious if anyone runs an uneven travel setup on their Turners? Specifically if anyone is running a 5 inch fork on a 4 inch Flux.

I like the sharper handling of the Flux rear end, but the 4 inch fork feels like it is taxed on faster, rockier descents. I have a tendency to roost on the front end of all of my bikes, so I figured running a squishy 5 inch fork would help with the choppy stuff while maintaining the stiff rear end.

Will the geometry be that adversely affected? I kid of like a choppered-out head angle...

What about the strength issue with the added torque?

Or, should I just get a five spot.

Word!

mtbr member
    Run a talas at 115mm, and have people that run up to 130mm. Bit much for me, but to each their own!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Similar

I was running an XCE with a 125mm talus for about two years. Usually kept the fork at 104 to 107mm for climbing and set it to 125mm for descending. Great set up for me, best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I ran a Float 130 on a 4" travel Burner and liked it fine - I had to stay on top of it on steep climbs, but the extra cush on the down was worth it. I thought that the amount of suspension felt pretty balanced with 5" in the front - the 4" on the Burner felt about the same.

All that said, I'm moving to a 5 spot now. It'll remain to be see whether I stay at 5" on the front, or go with a Pike and get just a little more cush. We'll see.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I think a five inch fork would be fine on the Flux, but I would stick with a Fox fork of some kind, since I believe they have about the shortest AC dimension.

The new Fox forks are going to 140mm, so blowout deals on the leftover 130s -- perfect for you -- should be coming soon!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.