Probably drunk right now

Farq! Like Another Hole My The Head

So I went out to Fruita and hooked up with some friends to ride. As fate would have it, one of my friends like me borrow a Turner 5 Spot for a couple of days.

One of the group rides we did included Dave Turner himself. I'm sure I left a lasting impression because I kept calling him Paul. D'oh! But I digress.

What I found most impressive about riding the 5 Spot was that I didn't really notice I was on an unfamilar bike. It rode like I would expect a bike to ride.

This was my first time back on gears after several years (so my opinion may be jaded by lack of gear experience) but the shifting seemed extremely crisp (the bike's shifting, the rider's shifting really sucked).

I guess what I'm looking for from this group are concerns, problems, etc. with Turner bikes and the 5 Spot in particular because despite not needing another bike, I !@$%@#$%^#$%^#$%^&#$@$#% liked the 5 Spot and the way it rode. I can't afford a bike right now, and I really don't want to eat PB&J for the next several months to be able to afford one, so if there are compelling reasons why I shouldn't drool over this bike, I would love to hear them.

Thanks, my name is Ken, and I have a bike problem.

Ken

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC

Ken
    I had a similar problem...

so my 5-Spot is shipping this week!!

Lay off the Levers

... and if we just ...

I guess what I'm looking for from this group are concerns, problems, etc. with Turner bikes and the 5 Spot in particular because despite not needing another bike, I !@$%@#$%^#$%^#$%^&#$@$#% liked the 5 Spot and the way it rode. I can't afford a bike right now, and I really don't want to eat PB&J for the next several months to be able to afford one, so if there are compelling reasons why I shouldn't drool over this bike, I would love to hear them.

Yes you do have a problem Ken...it'll take a week of solid reading to go through all the threads in this forum to see that there seems to be very little to improve on the 5 Spot, or Burner for that matter. That's your problem, there appears to be no good reason not to get one other than price.

One of the things that struck me initially was how natural the bike felt on the first ride. This coming from a race geometry HT...many people have commented how little adjustment is needed when throwing a leg over these bikes. My personal experience bears witness to this. In fact my biggest adjustment was getting used to riding all the stuff I used to walk.

A suggestion, the Burners are C-H-E-A-P! as in low cost...if keeping your budget is a priority and you just can't shake the Turner fever, get a Burner! I'm fairly certain a $950 new Turner frame is something you won't see again any time soon.

You're bitten, you're smitten, whatcha gonna do?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

banned
    Bah, just blame your infatuation on the scenery.

I think it would be tough to find fault with any bike on that ride.

p.s. I have some good PB&J recipes.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Gaaaah!

The only time I get that much visibility is on the highway. Trees cost extra out there or something?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Ouch, I am hot!

Warning - Do Not Buy 5-spot!!!!

My 5-Spot has proven to be life threatening. My first ride I experienced so much joy that my head almost blew clean off. My foam headbucket saved me yet again. Same thing for the next two months and I just can't stop riding. Its a dangerous addiction. Plus, my wife is threatening to kill me because she has been displaced. DO NOT BUY, SAVE YOURSELF WHILE YOU HAVE TIME. Get an Ellsworth and live a long, safe life.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    ...........DOH! Pete, is that a 'complete' bike I see in that shot? Blasphemy! hehe...

....on a more serious note, after spending considerable time on my Spot, I am really having a hard time on my other bikes. I know this sounds strange, but my HT honestly seems so unbalanced now ( it used to feel soooo dialed), I just returned from a ride on it & am remarking on how awkward I feel on it now ( & I have tried several times in the last month to re'acquaint myself with it-lol) The Spot took me a bit to get used to the forward feeling & having the seat right up under me (read steep ST angle), but now I wouldn't have it any other way!!! Very balanced feeling ride for sure....

PS- Luc, glad to see you finally caved Can't wait to see it!

mtbr member
    ...my name is Ken, and I have a bike problem...
    I will forever equate group help meetings with Bruce The Shark.... OMG a free giant inflatable Bruce! Oh, the joys of having children. Anyway...

I guess what I'm looking for from this group are concerns, problems, etc. with Turner bikes and the 5 Spot in particular
    Boy, I'm not sure I can help you here. I thought of the phrase "Money doesn't buy happiness" but in this case it does, in the form of a Turner. Seriously, all kidding aside, if I were to list "concerns, problems, ect." I'd have to say:

1) They still aren't as sexy as a Ventana. Do what I do, lurk on the Ventana forum.
    2) They don't offer a polished rear end any more. Sorry you can't have mine.
    3) Some jerk called my Red frame and those who ride them "gay", not that there's anything wrong with that. Zilla do you think I should stop beatin this dead horse? Easily solved by buying black, silver or blue.
    4) You'll end up spending entirely too much of your day here on this forum, which in turn will take away from your SS forum time. Just work or sleep less.
    5) When you do post you'll find yourself using those annoying smilies to try and express just how extreme you feel about your bike.
    6) Due to the fact that pivots are easily maintained, you'll find yourself wrenching more than with your SS or any other bike for that matter.

uuuuhhhh..... I think that's it. Hope it helps.

Crash

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ...........DOH! Pete, is that a 'complete' bike I see in that shot? Blasphemy! hehe...
    You have to admit his Photoshop skills are impressive. I can just barely make-out some of the outline of the couch that he replaced with that cool scenery.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    PS- Luc, glad to see you finally caved Can't wait to see it!
    It was pretty much inevitable I just had to save up and really make sure I wanted a trail bike. After studying MANY bikes, the 5-spot just is SPOT on!! I really can't wait to start hitting trails again. My old 5 year old GT was due for retirement anyway!

can't wait!! it shipped today!

Probably drunk right now

True, but...

I think it would be tough to find fault with any bike on that ride.

p.s. I have some good PB&J recipes.

So true. However to ensure that it wasn't the ride (or the fantastic company) I brought it out to slickrock the next day. Same feeling.

Would you send me the hi-res versions of those pics? Trying to describe the trail doesn't do it justice.

Hummm, PB&J.......

Ken

mtbr member

good PB&J recipes

I have some good PB&J recipes.
    I always have interest in learning something new:
    please post some "good PB&J recipes"!

regards Bernhard

banned
    So true. However to ensure that it wasn't the ride (or the fantastic company) I brought it out to slickrock the next day. Same feeling.

Would you send me the hi-res versions of those pics? Trying to describe the trail doesn't do it justice.
    You can always point them at the video from two years ago.

http://www.mtbvideos.net/video/icarus.mpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

where is that trail?

that looks phenominal...will you divulge the location?

You can always point them at the video from two years ago.

http://www.mtbvideos.net/video/icarus.mpg

mtbr member

Polish my rear

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    I will forever equate group help meetings with Bruce The Shark.... OMG a free giant inflatable Bruce! Oh, the joys of having children. Anyway...

Boy, I'm not sure I can help you here. I thought of the phrase "Money doesn't buy happiness" but in this case it does, in the form of a Turner. Seriously, all kidding aside, if I were to list "concerns, problems, ect." I'd have to say:

1) They still aren't as sexy as a Ventana. Do what I do, lurk on the Ventana forum.
    2) They don't offer a polished rear end any more. Sorry you can't have mine.
    3) Some jerk called my Red frame and those who ride them "gay", not that there's anything wrong with that. Zilla do you think I should stop beatin this dead horse? Easily solved by buying black, silver or blue.
    4) You'll end up spending entirely too much of your day here on this forum, which in turn will take away from your SS forum time. Just work or sleep less.
    5) When you do post you'll find yourself using those annoying smilies to try and express just how extreme you feel about your bike.
    6) Due to the fact that pivots are easily maintained, you'll find yourself wrenching more than with your SS or any other bike for that matter.

uuuuhhhh..... I think that's it. Hope it helps.

Crash
    They might not make the rear triangle in polished anymore, but we have one. Waiting for the street price to hit $4,000.00 though......

mtbr member
    May 2004

... and if we just ...

yep i think weve all been there i tryed a demo spot on a wet and windy friday here in england 2 hours later i was hooked what goes up well comes down even better 8 days later i was out on my new xl 5 spot (luckey for me inporters had 1 xl there with my name on it) 3 mounths on still in love so only help i can offer is to sell the wife sell the kids eat work and sleep till a turner is yours.

ps only one gripe turner decals are way to soft mine need replacing all ready

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    They might not make the rear triangle in polished anymore, but we have one. Waiting for the street price to hit $4,000.00 though......
    What size and color is the frame?

mtbr member

Its

Large, red, polished rear triangle.

I'm still unclear as to why they went away from the polished rear tri, I love the look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

I'm still unclear as to why they went away from the polished rear tri, I love the look.
    If that was silver I'd have had it sold in a New York minute. I've got a buddy looking for one with a polished rear end. But he may jump on the red just to get the polished. I'll give him the heads up. Any luck on dumping your Burner?

mtbr member

We still have the burner

Nope, we still have the small burner, and have dropped it to match Supergo's price, even though it has the pro-pedal. Again, oh well, its a great bike that someone will want for their wife, or a smaller guy might like.

Ouch, I am hot!

Please, I Already Have a 5-Spot!

Please, no more pictures. I don't want to spend another $4,000 on a bike. Looking at the red beauty makes me say "mine, mine, mine". Also, to that end, we need to stop all this Burner blowout talk. I just bought my 5-Spot two months ago and I don't need people rubbing this Burner blowout in front of my nose forcing me to get yet another rig. Is there Turner rehab?
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member

Please!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Please, no more pictures. I don't want to spend another $4,000 on a bike. Looking at the red beauty makes me say "mine, mine, mine". Also, to that end, we need to stop all this Burner blowout talk. I just bought my 5-Spot two months ago and I don't need people rubbing this Burner blowout in front of my nose forcing me to get yet another rig. Is there Turner rehab?
    Please, I don't want to talk about the burner blowout any more than you do.

I can post pics of my new banshee scirocco if you prefer..........but this IS a Turner forum, so that might not be cooth.