Lay off the Levers

EVS Neck Guard, Anyone try it?

While surfing about looking at the Leatt, I came across this:

EVS Sports Neck Brace

Looks a bit heftier but may not be all that bulky or heavy. I haven't researched it yet but some-a-one I knows was asking for a linky so I figure it's a good time to toss it out there for feedback as well.

It runs $175 retail which is a heckuva lot cheaper than the Leatt, but is it as effective, mobile and comfortable?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

I'm more of a dog person
    no experience but doesn't look like something i would trust. besides if your looking to go the cheap route i believe the less expensive Leatt model should be out by now (i was told by Dec.) i think it runs about the same amount.
    on a side note I have a Leatt GPX that has never been used I will sell for cheap if anyone is interested PM me.

Lay off the Levers
    PM sent!

I just spotted Timber's thread on the Leatt ADVenture price point brace, tnx.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    same here but toss it to zilla if it fits him. he brought it up 1st, i have time and may be able to score one on a pro deal anyway.

the evs looks fine but the wide neck puts me off. not sure how thatll work under a jersey and jacket style body armor. the big ass shoulders may also interfere with body armor. at $175 retail, thats not bad and it doesnt look like crap if ya use a chest protector but like ukk said, you can get the leatt club for another $50 and avoid the potential fit issues of the evs.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Lay off the Levers
    Yes the pricepoint Leatt seems like less of a fuss and not much more money.

But...

The feedback on it in Timber's thread suggests that the backside is not adjustable and rides too high. They're saying it hits the back of the hemet.

Not sure if that's a sizing or helmet style issue though.

from what i read in there, its more of a helmet style thing. bike vs moto. the d-2 might work and the se may not for example.

more info: lookin at the leatt site, it makes no mention of the club not havin the same adjustments as the sport. even the instructions make no mention and both models pull up the same pdf file. the only diff is all plastic vs the carbon upper of the sport. the pics also show adjustments such as these upper 2 rear views. the adventure does not appear to be adjustable and rides considerably higher in back as seen in the bottom pic. might be a deal breaker.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 01-18-2009 at 08:57 PM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    I have a Leatt, the regular model (GPX Club). Being able to adjust the rear section down as low as possible is critical. Even with it down and pushed back, it still makes contact with the back of your helmet. If it were even just a tick higher, it would start to effect visibility.

I'll just add that, having put mine to use, I wouldn't hesitate to spend double the asking price for it.

Your bike gets two forks, but your neck doesn't even get an adjustable brace?

youve been called out zilla.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    I can not imagine it would be very comfortable riding a bike with a halo on......Nascar is one thing, but on a bike, come on. Unless you have a previous neck injury and you might die just riding a bike, I think and this is just my opinion, this is might be a little overkill. Even for motocross I would not where that....
    [SIZE="6"]Abracadabra homes![/SIZE]

Lay off the Levers
    Seems to me the whole point of a brace is to avoid the injury that would end up with a Halo.

Plenty of ppl ride moto with one, and many ride with them on MTBs now too. I've taken a good header and hyper tucked my head into my chest. Did my neck no good deed for sure. I'd not want to risk that a 2nd time.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Seems to me the whole point of a brace is to avoid the injury that would end up with a Halo.

Plenty of ppl ride moto with one, and many ride with them on MTBs now too. I've taken a good header and hyper tucked my head into my chest. Did my neck no good deed for sure. I'd not want to risk that a 2nd time.

I've done that twice, once just trail riding and hit what I thought was a roller turned out to be a drop off, OTB and right on the head. Once 2 years ago while DHing picked the wrong line and again right over and onto the head.

With how much riding has progressed and trails are getting gnarlier to match its just makes sense to get the best best protection you can. At this point I already need a new helmet and would love to get one of these braces. I know of at least one guy at the mountain who got seriously hurt who if he had one of these braces might have fared better.

when i was a kid, we didnt wear helmets, or seat belts. we ate red dye #4, lived in , worked in and studied in buildings that gave us cancer. we wore glasses over our eyes made of glass. fockin glass fer gawds sake! we drove cars that exploded when hit and burned to the ground from a simple short. we dressed our babies in gasoline and child seats were a big ticket item that went mostly ignored. want me to go on?

times change and we evolve, kinda like ridin does. no ones forcin anyone in the usa to wear these in competition much less armor of any kind or a ff helmet as of yet and i see a day not far off when at least some of those options are not our own. not wantin to wear one is 1 thing but to think of it as overkill seems a bit short sighted to me. not tryin to bust yer nuts mind ya, just hopin to get ya thinkin.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 01-19-2009 at 09:25 PM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    times change and we evolve, kinda like ridin does. no ones forcin anyone in the usa to wear these in competition much less armor of any kind or a ff helmet as of yet and i see a day not far off when at least some of those options are not our own. not wantin to wear one is 1 thing but to think of it as overkill seems a bit short sighted to me. not tryin to bust yer nuts mind ya, just hopin to get ya thinkin.
    Not to mention that if the brace is set-up correctly, it's not suppose to interfere with your head's range of motion.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    You can bust balls all you want, and I understand the whole safety, better safe than sorry thing. If this neck brace gives you full range of motion that is a plus, but it looks pretty solid. Maybe you guys are way more core than me, I just think it is a tad much. I guess when I am the one in the hospital with a real halo the joke will be on me.
    [SIZE="6"]Abracadabra homes![/SIZE]

maybe i shoulda been more clear. im not diggin the evs brace as it looks like fit, bulk and motion will all be issues but the mid and high end leatt stuff seems very viable from the computer screen. im not core or even good nor have i ever pretended to be. im a fair rider at best, a bit past his prime with more than a few big injuries in his pocket, most my own damn fault and couldnt really be considered accidents. it was only a matter of time before my lack of talent was bytch slapped by my actions and i wasnt bright enough to see that for far too long. lucky for me, i recoverd a few times and fought hard to keep my mobility (once my right arm) most of those times. now pushin 50, ive learned the hard way to embrace my envelope and work to expand it intelligently. i see the advantages to a body condom for bikes so i can keep at it without grabbin another handfull of avoidable risk.

i dont wanna see you or anyone else get needlessly hurt and that, my e-friend, is no joke.
    No, I'm NOT back!

NOT Team Sanchez
    I've also considered gettin' a neck piece, but what about the extra steep rollers and such where my helmet already hit's my camelbak and is limited? How much more will a neck brace affect that?
    I like bikes.

Lay off the Levers
    What the hell you lookin up for on a roller?

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Useful range of motion isn't effected, but you do feel it back there. It's something you quickly get used to. However, that's with the rear spoiler completely slammed.

I had no problems at Whistler, even on that thing in Zilla's pic, whatever it's called.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley
    I had no problems at Whistler, even on that thing in Zilla's pic, whatever it's called.
    I had big problems at Whistler...not so much what was on my back but more what got left in my shorts.

The feature is called "Filthy Ape" Here's a shot that shows some of it's steepness:

I don't know the rider or the photog for this one.

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    I had big problems at Whistler...not so much what was on my back but more what got left in my shorts.
    Heh. I should have been more specific...no problems with visibility/mobility. There were certainly "problems".

trail fairy
    As usual there are allot of e experts people who fear others who don't follow the flock!

Do some research especially on something so important and an protective device as this, if you're riding dosen't demand protective clothing or gear and that's your CHOICE then go for it.

Do not tell others to make that choice!

If ya share opinion alt east share some relative backed up quoted information from respected and genuine websites who know what they're on about! there is a lot of mis information spread around out there about this and it pisses me off..

People are trying to protect others not trying rip others ff this tech costs money, this is not cheap, your life is not cheap, yet ya spend s h i t loads on bikes WAKE up and SMELL the bacon!

NEXT time it may be you and then you will find out the real costs!

Everything improves given a chance and support only we can make the difference!

S h i t happens, no one can prevent that! I wouldn't change a thing we know the risks know one wants to talk about it or face up to it, but its real, its there, there's only to types of riders!

Ones that's are down and ones that are going down, how hard is luck of the draw, sometimes a simple crash can bugga ya for life! sometimes a big stack ya walk away from and wonder how the hell did I get out of that one, in DH I had some of the worst get offs eva and and only had a busted peak from it never even bent a bar, oh a bent rotor and wheel!

A DS track did me in, like Tara, top names get wasted!

Still if ya looking at this stuff Full face helmets and taking on bigga stuff face up to it where doing more than we were a few years back, stuff that only 5 or so years ago we thought was only big enough for the boys on DVDs, That's the reality, and that's why people are getting hurt!

Oh and people don't check out there surrounding with enough care!

IMO it will only be time before these things will be mandatory in racing because injuries neck and spinal are on the increase mainly through stupidity...

Another brace to consider and its not cheap! only two I"d consider right now! LEAT & Alpinestars BNS [Bionic Neck Support]

And based on fit and research on compression not copy cats or costs too of th wrong reasons to buy protective anything!

Is Alinestars Bionic Neck Support! there R & D has shown that the average compression distance is between 14mm and 20mm before the neck will suffer damage
    So there idea is to have 14 to 20mm between the BNS and the base of your Helmet !

http://www.motorcyclists-online.com/...K-SUPPORT.html

http://www.btosports.com/cs/search?S...rs+Neck+Braces

Certain Helmet types also have better fit with Leat and the Alpinestars!

Also it has been found that most riders even with fore and aft movement up and down hill in motoccross don't even get close to this amount of movement, course everyone is different! And this is from an extensive article!

Some Helmets fitted very well, Thor, Shoei!

Not like Leat Alpinestars have spent many years testing and developing there product, from what Ive read 5years, I'm not plugging them but but they have put extensive time and research into this its an area thats not just something that plugs onto your body it has to do a job effectively or else it could cause you more harm!

1: If fit is not right!
    2: If not designed to do the right job!

E.g the neck brace is primary function is compression! not hyperextension or overextension this is crucial to understand!

DO NOT BUY ONLINE, unless you have thoroughly sized tested with your Helmet your body etc, there's plenty of moto shops if ya can't get it at ya LBS! if ya go this route get fitted properly imo I can't stress this enough re sizing!

Re costs vs MX vs bikes Ive been amazed! I know all the old arguments I used to use them myslef, but alot of companies now make both, especially in apparel Ive been doing my research online and at shops when I can!
    It dosen't add up imo! Someones taking mtb to the cleaners!

I wil will doing thigs quite differently again when Im back in the saddle, even more unconformist than before!

MX in most cases not just in bikes but in Helmets in gloves in magazine for crists sakes in cheaper if not way cheaper than bikes WTF is going on, Im very disillusioned with cycling in general right now...................

ta............

No neck device should roll around over the shoulders.
    Last edited by trailadvent; 01-20-2009 at 01:28 PM.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Paper Street
    I wear an EVS. All three current devices have a slightly different theory on how to protect the neck, but all the manufacturers agree that it doesn't matter which one you purchase. Just purchase one of them, and start wearing it. Think of it as a helmet for your neck.

You wouldn't launch a 30 footer with no helmet on would you?