Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

Equal Time: whats the best part you ever put on yer bike?

thought the other post was so damn good it needed its happier brothers company.

#1: full xtr drivetrain sans chain. nuthin finer when tuned to perfection. but i havent done a X0 trigger set up yet.

#1-A: 960 XTR ft der. ive always thought the ft der was the achillies heal of the drivetrain and this part has me rethinkin that. works like buttah, even on my older 952 rings but when matched with 960 rings... weeeeeeeeeeeee!

#2: sedis/sram chains. no more premature chain stretch, ring wear, busted links and busted kneecaps. goodbye shimano chains!

#3: serfas ti kevlar saddle. in particular the ARC. my fleet of bikes all have one variation/model yer of this saddle. got my first one in 93 after droppin the stock specialized horror show and tryin out a flite ti for a few hours. sold both and tried this "new" companies stuff on a shop guys reccomendation. never run anything else since.

#4: Fox Float RL. what a difference this made to my ageing burner! far better than the Alps 5 R before it and the Alps 4 R that came stock on it.

#5: Fox Float RLC Talus. had a variety of forks on this same frame over the last 10 years and as much as some bag on it, it fit my 165lb riding style just fine thanx. awsome product and no issues as of yet.

#6: '97 Marzocchi Z-2 Atom bomb. simply a killer fork. weighs the same as a Judy SL when i put in a SRP ti bolt kit and never leaked in 0ver 8 years. possibly the perfect part. dont think ill ever sell it. matter of fact is about to be bolted back on my burner as i return it to old school build and retire it permenantly.

gawd, thers boxes of stories behind me and not enough time or audience to tell them all.
    No, I'm NOT back!

... I guess you won't be
    my 1999 Z-2 Bam Bomber was the same way - I couldn't believe how well it worked and how easy it was to keep going for the 5 years I had it....made me a zoke fan.

I must admit, the bike bit I am most enamoured with right now is my new Five-Ten sticky rubber low top mtb shoes....the comfort and surefootedness these shoes provide make the whole ride that much closer to a really, really good snowboaring run thru fresh Wasach powder...!
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    #1 5-Spot frame (of course I am coming off a Trek hardtail, doh!)

#2 Sram Drive train

#3 Hope mono minis ( apposed to popular opinion I love these, great feel, no fade & no noise issues and they showed up with blue anodised levers & other bits, Bling)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    (1) Sram XO rear derailleur

(2) Push'd RP3

(3) Fox TALAS RLC

mtbr member

In no particular order

1. SRAM XO rear d/X9 shifters

2. Fox DHX Air

3. DescenderPost (or its lever operated sibling, the Gravity Dropper)

4. Chris King headsets and ISO Disc Hubs

5. Juicy 7s (despite the occasional sticky piston here and there)

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

more thoughts, more faves...

you guys all have me thikin through the years with both of these posts. thanx again to prone for the idea and the effort. bravo pal!

#7: Chris King h/set. my first was on the burner in late '95 and now a 2nd on the flux. its kinda like, "is it still there?", lookin down..., "yep! still there and workin just fine!". its such a good part i tend to forget it. absolute quality.

#8: Eggbeaters. love these pedals! i was a SPD guy for a long long time, moved to mudville and gave these a shot. just bought my 4th pair of crank bros pedals, some twin ti's for the flux. for what i do and where i do it, theres none higher.

#9: BB7's. what can i say, when set up right they just keep working very well. theres the weight thing but thats cool if it works well.

ot but worth mentioning.....

#10: Sidi shoes. pick one, doesnt matter. i have 4 pair, 2 mtn, 1 dh and 1 road, all pretty old but it doesnt matter as they just keep workin. i have those little, thin, euro-girl type feet and nuthin else fits. oh, the stiffness! i can live with the slippery soles as long as im careful on the rocks and dont use em in the snow and ice.

#11: Garene Polar winter rideing boots. i tried a ton of diff shoe/sock combos and never kept my feet warm and dry below 35 deg or so. got these for xmass from the girl and WOW! 2 seasons on em now and not a single complaint. for me its the perfect cold/wet weather shoe. ps: avoid the toe spikes at all costs! missed most of the '04 winter ride and ski season with a badly busted ankle.

#12: Voler bib shorts. as comfy as they come. epic days and centurys are liveable with these. and they were free to boot!

keep em commin folks! would be great to hear some of the girls pipe in on this. or maybe a sepperate thread is needed. hell, this could be a sticky if we all agreed to pick just one best and worst part and kept the commentary to a min. thoughts airwreck?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member

King

I bought my first King headset in 96 and I'm still running it. Started out black on a Fisher hardtail and over the years it's been on 6 or 7 frames (4 of which cracked) and an equal number of forks and the only issue I've had is that it's faded to a very dark brown.

Built to Last
    BIG TIRES

DISC BRAKES

&

SHOCKS

THANK YOU INNOVATIONS!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Frankenstein; 10-12-2005 at 02:03 AM. Reason: ...............

mtbr member
    Some thing's just right from the start and are taken for granted as they always work,
    Chris King headset

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstein
    BIG TIRES

DISC BRAKES

&

SHOCKS
    Yup. And to add to that list:

RISER BARS

WTB SADDLES - the first saddle I ever really liked

LOCK-ON GRIPS

CHRIS KING - set it & forget it
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn

#6: '97 Marzocchi Z-2 Atom bomb. simply a killer fork. weighs the same as a Judy SL when i put in a SRP ti bolt kit and never leaked in 0ver 8 years. possibly the perfect part. dont think ill ever sell it. matter of fact is about to be bolted back on my burner as i return it to old school build and retire it permenantly.

gawd, thers boxes of stories behind me and not enough time or audience to tell them all.
    A 97 Z2 AB weighed almost exactly 4lbs, there's no way that replacing a couple bolts got it down to 3lbs.

I had the 99 Z2 BAM, that was a terrific fork as well. A recent customer at the shop (that I rarely work in anymore) brought in an old 97 Z2 and said that he took it to the other shop, they told him to buy a new fork, and they sold him a noleen. The noleen died in a matter of a few weeks, and all his Z2 really needed was an oil change and heavier springs, we did an overhaul on it though, put in new seals and a new damping cart, new oil and the thing is ready for another 4 or 5 years. Those forks were so far ahead of the crap the other companies were producing it wasn't even funny. Other forks were designed to last maybe a season, and good luck finding parts for them. We could still get the damping cart and all sorts of parts for that 97 Z2, from marzocchi. Those products were meant to last.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof
    Some thing's just right from the start and are taken for granted as they always work,
    Chris King headset
    This also applies to Thomson seatposts.

I wish I could say the same for Thomson stems.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Oh yeah, the 97 Z2, damn that fork was a revalation.

King HS, still running the first one I got.

Lock-on grips, with all the futzing I do with my bike these have been great.

Shimano pedals (747's, 535's, etc...) these are near bomb-proof.

Roy
    mtbr member
    #1 Disc brakes

#2 Time Atacs

#3 Full length cable housing

#4 8 Speed

The rest is kind of a morass - Push'd Vanilla/King stuff/Marz '97 Z2 and '98 Z1/etc...
    Last edited by Roy; 10-12-2005 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Forgot how much I love full length housing

Shut up and RIDE!
    1 . shimano spd 959
    2. lock on grips

Fast, like Squeeze Cheese
    Jan 2005
    1) SRAM X.0 Rear Derailuer and X.9 Triggers
    Easy to setup and great tactile feedback.

2) Push'd Fox Float R for the Burner
    I put it on and have not touched it since. Plush when it is supposed to be. Anyone want a 3-Way?

3) CK headset
    No need to add anything else on this one.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Not "on" my bike...but the single best bike-thing I ever bought was my first Camelbak Mule. Had it for 5 years! Now I have new one. Love it.

Onbike part: Chris King headset. Had it for 7 years now, on 4 bikes...one service by myself.
    All other parts have been changed or broke, not the King.
    ----------------------------------------
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway
    Spec Stumpy Comp FSR 29er
    Turner DHR 2005, drilled

mtbr member
    All of equal importance:

-Shocks
    -Clipless pedals
    -Riser Bars
    &
    -Lighter frame & parts

My cup runneth over
    Gravity Dropper seatpost. (don't we need some more threads on this? )

The Ancient One
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    Gravity Dropper seatpost. (don't we need some more threads on this? )
    I would second the Gravity Dropper, except that it has broken on me twice. It broke in exactly the same place in all senses. The cylindrical rod that the saddle anchors on to passes crosswise through a hole in the post, and both times the post cracked right at that hole. This occurred both times while I was riding at exactly the same point on the same trail, believe it or not.

Wayne of Gravity Dropper has promptly replaced both posts and says they have plans for a beefed up version. I hope they get this problem sorted out because I really like what the post does for my riding.

Living the Dream

Good topic.

1. Turner 5 Spot. Long Live the Horst Link!
    2. Crank Bros Candy Pedals
    3. Schwinn Paramount complete lugged Steel Road Bike Custom Green for $500!
    4. X9 triggers/Shifters
    5. WTB Laser V DH Ti--Great Seat
    6. Nevegals--Been Running Em for 2 Years (not the same set). I have a Kenda Connection and get them cheap.
    7. Hopefully my new Titus HCR singlespeed
    8. Race face Bash Guard/HEIM guide 4 years running. I've already busted my e 13 bash guard twice in 1.5 years and my DRS.
    9. Magura Louise FRs

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    ...would be great to hear some of the girls pipe in on this.
    My wife would say her Terry Butterfly saddles. She and my daughter won't ride with anything else now.

For me, Chris King headsets and rear hubs, Thomson posts, DT comp 2.0/1.8 spokes with brass nipples, WTB SST98Ti saddles.

Oh yeah, and most recently, Surly Endomorph tires.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    most recent revelation was the afore mentioned Gravity Dropper. It has done wonders to my DH confidence, yet made it very nervewrecking to DH on an extended seat.

Marzocchi MX Comp was another big one, when it replaced Rock Shox Indy SL on my bike, several years ago.

Full suspension frame. First, the Burner, then the 5 Spot.

Steel hardtails.

RaceFace Turbine LP cranks.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Tubeless rims/tires (Stan's needs a mention here also)
    DHX 5.0 coil
    Disc brakes (avid mechs)
    ODI's

And I have gotta comment on the CK headset thing. I've had a CK but sold it a while back, and have used Cane Creek ever since. Less than half the price and I have to say, I have never had to mess with any of them. Talk about a part with absolutely no noticable performance difference, I'd bet major dollars no one here could tell what they were riding on without looking. And like I said, no maintenance or durability issues with any of the headsets I have run.

Bodhisattva
    Gravity Dropper....

People seem to love them.

I rode Tscheezy's & Moab and found it to indeed be helpful. I wish I had one for the rolling terrain on Gold Bar Rim/Golden Spike. I'll consider one for my next Moab trip but don't see it as being nearly as essential for my local terrain which is more of the straight up/straight down variety.

BUT....

wobble, wobble, wobble.
    noisy
    And Steve has broken two.

I think it's a great concept and I really want to buy into it but the execution needs some refinement. Particularly in light of the asking price. And good move by Mav not producing it in the most common bike seatpost size currently used.

Sorry for raining on the parade. Continue with the positivity.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast