Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,476

    Enve Rims Anyone?

    Who's using these and how are they working out?
    We Ride In God's Country!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,219
    still can't see how they are worth what they are charging for them. unless you have limitless cash it's just too much to tie up into a set of rims. i'd rather have two sets of wheels that i could swap out depending on where i'm riding rather than $2500 tied up in one. flows or i23s are more tha n adequate for me.

    i don't see how spending triple on a wheelest pays off in triple the performance benefit. if you're made of money, no problem but for mere mortals seems like an expensive bling item

    and in all honesty i have a hard time believing anyone who drops that amount of cash isn't going to say they're not wonderful just because how could they not after dropping $2500 on them. gonna be hard to get a real review

  3. #3
    Nothing can stop me now
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    still can't see how they are worth what they are charging for them. unless you have limitless cash it's just too much to tie up into a set of rims. i'd rather have two sets of wheels that i could swap out depending on where i'm riding rather than $2500 tied up in one. flows or i23s are more tha n adequate for me.

    i don't see how spending triple on a wheelest pays off in triple the performance benefit. if you're made of money, no problem but for mere mortals seems like an expensive bling item

    and in all honesty i have a hard time believing anyone who drops that amount of cash isn't going to say they're not wonderful just because how could they not after dropping $2500 on them. gonna be hard to get a real review
    Many would say the same about $2000+ frames... Or $1000 frames...

    $80 tires... And mountain biking in general...

    Or anyone's review of something that they purchased... Or rode on different terrain or faster or slower than me...

    Seems like Enve rims ought to be really light and stiff... No experience to back it up and the price point keeps me away from them too.

    Bob

    Ps Myitch, you ought just pick something and ride your bike. Has to be better than fretting over every single detail... Is for me anyway...

  4. #4
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,606
    I was lucky enough to get a few months of ride time on a loaner set last year.
    All I can say is wow.
    So light and so stiff, I felt like I had a set of bomber freeride wheels on my bike except they had the weight of an xc wheelset. That kind of confidence building strength and stiffness with the acceleration of a light weight wheelset was a unique experience.
    No question they are very expensive, but I have been dreaming of owning a set ever since I had to give them back.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    Many would say the same about $2000+ frames... Or $1000 frames...

    $80 tires... And mountain biking in general...

    Or anyone's review of something that they purchased... Or rode on different terrain or faster or slower than me...

    Seems like Enve rims ought to be really light and stiff... No experience to back it up and the price point keeps me away from them too.

    Bob

    Ps Myitch, you ought just pick something and ride your bike. Has to be better than fretting over every single detail... Is for me anyway...
    $80 tires compared to $40 tires. 100% increase in cost

    $1000 frame to $2000 frame . 100% increase in cost

    comparing medium priced goods to top end goods at double the cost upgrade is a real discussion which will still net you lots of disagreements about feeling or getting that 100% increase in performance relative to price. some of that discussion will be heated too.

    $80 flow or i23 or mavic 721 rim etc. compared to a $860 carbon enve rim. 800% increase in cost over a top end rim.

    then we have enve over any top end aluminum wheel. it's not like looking at a carbon frame over aluminum like an aluminum sb66 compared to the carbon and you are talking a jump from $2250 to $3000, a 30% increase. people will even debate the performance gain at 30% and that's at least a realistic cost jump dollar wise

    i still don't see how they can justify the cost increase. i dream of having enough disposable income to afford them too, it's just a dream though. reality is i can't see me paying as much for a rim as a complete set of kings on flows unless i win the lottery, which is another dream

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,269

    commited

    I don't ride anything else if don't have to, in fact I won't even ride a 29r without them as they make such an extreme difference in stiffness as to feel close to a 26 with alloy rims.

    There are lots of good rims out there, but very few great ones and until you ride ENVE you do not know what excellence is. 2 year guarantee as well, with service like that it is hard to beat plus you can build them around the hubs of your choice.

    My son has a Flux with very light wheels for XC racing, but the other day he gets on my 5 Spot with wheels lighter than his and was blown away with the acceleration, longer softer feeling suspension and all. Tire weights are almost the same with his rear almost slick, so it isn't like he is running 2.3 AM tires! He noticed the tracking as well, being young and aggressive he is throwing cutty's everywhere, nose wheelies etc etc. The wheels are TRACK.

    DT

  7. #7
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe maņana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    I get the pro Enve arguments for the AM/DH wheels; lighter weight, stiffer.

    I fail to see the argument for Enve in XC rim. It is not any lighter than what you can get in aluminum. Sure, it's stiffer but who cares for XC?

    I have yet to succumb and shell out over $1.5K on rims. There certainly is a performance advantage but oh my my; those 2011 closeouts cost as much as a pair of rims!

    _MK
    .
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    I don't ride anything else if don't have to, in fact I won't even ride a 29r without them as they make such an extreme difference in stiffness as to feel close to a 26 with alloy rims.

    There are lots of good rims out there, but very few great ones and until you ride ENVE you do not know what excellence is. 2 year guarantee as well, with service like that it is hard to beat plus you can build them around the hubs of your choice.

    My son has a Flux with very light wheels for XC racing, but the other day he gets on my 5 Spot with wheels lighter than his and was blown away with the acceleration, longer softer feeling suspension and all. Tire weights are almost the same with his rear almost slick, so it isn't like he is running 2.3 AM tires! He noticed the tracking as well, being young and aggressive he is throwing cutty's everywhere, nose wheelies etc etc. The wheels are TRACK.

    DT
    lol, turner sales must be good, maybe you don't need to make an rfx after all

  9. #9
    Nothing can stop me now
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    $80 tires compared to $40 tires. 100% increase in cost

    $1000 frame to $2000 frame . 100% increase in cost

    comparing medium priced goods to top end goods at double the cost upgrade is a real discussion which will still net you lots of disagreements about feeling or getting that 100% increase in performance relative to price. some of that discussion will be heated too.

    i still don't see how they can justify the cost increase. i dream of having enough disposable income to afford them too, it's just a dream though. reality is i can't see me paying as much for a rim as a complete set of kings on flows unless i win the lottery, which is another dream
    Then don't buy them... Question was how good are they. You have no idea, I have no idea. DT swears by them and I don't recall anything else that he has praised so much.

    1soulrider rode them for a couple months and loved them. Sounds like they might be good.

    Ever price out triathlon race wheels?

    I don't see how they can charge 5 bucks for gas either...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    Then don't buy them... Question was how good are they. You have no idea, I have no idea. DT swears by them and I don't recall anything else that he has praised so much.

    1soulrider rode them for a couple months and loved them. Sounds like they might be good.

    Ever price out triathlon race wheels?

    I don't see how they can charge 5 bucks for gas either...
    i don`t care if dt raves about them, he`s an industry guy. i`m sure 1soulrider loved them too but he hasn`t shelled out for them either.

    people rave about lots of $h!t they pay big money for. at $2500+ for a set i won`t be buying a set no matter who blows their wad over them, i can not see the rims being worth 2 times the retail price of a set of kings on flows .

    op, i hope you hear some more glowing reviews and i hope to hear your thoughts on them if you purchase them. i read road and track too and despite awesome reviews i still don`t own a bmw m5

  11. #11
    T , V , & K Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,339

    Yep , 29ers do need help in the stiffness department especially up front !

    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    people rave about lots of $h!t they pay big money for. at $2500+ for a set i won`t be buying a set no matter who blows their wad over them, i can not see the rims being worth 2 times the retail price of a set of kings on flows

    They're called Enve for a reason....because peeps are envious of those sportin them ! Okay , that comment sucked....however , I can see them being beneficial for the stiffness factor especially in the 29 inch wheel size ( at least with my experience with the 29 inch wheeled bikes I've ridden or owned ) ! I would love to try them but admit they are priced a bit out of my budget for now ! TIG.
    " A way to a deep freedom " - Tarja

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    18

    I ride them on a 29er

    If you can spend the $, in my opinion they are worth it. As has been mentioned, especially for 29ers, stiffness and cutting down on rotational weight are key elements.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,476
    And these carbon rims are still not quite indestructible as they make them out to be. There was a thread somewhere that someone crashed them, hit a tree or something. This accident caused the spoke to pull through the hole and crack the surrounding area. Enve did replace it no questions asked since he was within his two-yr warranty but he still had to pay for another set of spokes and rebuild.

    Now of course, an alu rim would have broken also from that impact. Maybe even more catastrophic. But if you're beyond the warranty on the carbon rims or you bought the rims used, you'd be outta luck having to shell out another $860 or so vs. $95 for some Mavics.

    Whether these rims are "worth it" or not is a subjective question with individual answers. I was just looking for the homies here to share their experiences.
    We Ride In God's Country!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2xPneu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    912
    They're great, I'm rockin' 2 sets of 32 hole AM rims, one set on the Sultan with a Rohloff, the other singlespeed on the Spaceframe. Had both for a couple of years, they absolutely make a big improvement all around...climbing especially. I haven't even had to true them in 2 years...although I did peel off the bead on one by running 60psi with Nanos on the street...EDGE (at the time) replaced the rim no questions asked. I build my own wheels so no problem with the rebuild. I don't pay retail, if I did I'd have to think long and hard cuz they're definitely 'spensive. But I loves 'em.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    510
    Agree with everything x2 said. Being a clyde on a XXLsultan the XC enves are a must if you want the most fun out of your ride day in and day out. Note I did not pay MSRP but at still very signinfant price they are still worth it. Had the original Edge rims and was upgraded to Enve's UST rims which is nice to just run straight up tubeless,no rim strip.
    As one person said long ago. Carbon rims are heirloom belongings. Never get rid of them.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,476
    Quote Originally Posted by 29or6to4 View Post
    Agree with everything x2 said. Being a clyde on a XXLsultan the XC enves are a must if you want the most fun out of your ride day in and day out. Note I did not pay MSRP but at still very signinfant price they are still worth it. Had the original Edge rims and was upgraded to Enve's UST rims which is nice to just run straight up tubeless,no rim strip.
    As one person said long ago. Carbon rims are heirloom belongings. Never get rid of them.
    How did you get "upgraded"?
    We Ride In God's Country!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    510
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    How did you get "upgraded"?
    My original Edge rims had a problem with the old Pillar nipples they use to use. They were all corroded and falling apart within the rim. So wheelset went back to them and the UST just were made available. I might have got one of the first sets, any way for a small amount extra I could have the hubs built with new UST's and keep my Edges. Sold the Edges to pay for the new Enves. Worked out pretty good. I like not having to use the Stans rubber strip to keep tubeless.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •