Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Enve Rims Anyone?

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  29or6to4 
#1 ·
Who's using these and how are they working out?

#2 ·
still can't see how they are worth what they are charging for them. unless you have limitless cash it's just too much to tie up into a set of rims. i'd rather have two sets of wheels that i could swap out depending on where i'm riding rather than $2500 tied up in one. flows or i23s are more tha n adequate for me.

i don't see how spending triple on a wheelest pays off in triple the performance benefit. if you're made of money, no problem but for mere mortals seems like an expensive bling item

and in all honesty i have a hard time believing anyone who drops that amount of cash isn't going to say they're not wonderful just because how could they not after dropping $2500 on them. gonna be hard to get a real review

#3 ·
still can't see how they are worth what they are charging for them. unless you have limitless cash it's just too much to tie up into a set of rims. i'd rather have two sets of wheels that i could swap out depending on where i'm riding rather than $2500 tied up in one. flows or i23s are more tha n adequate for me.

i don't see how spending triple on a wheelest pays off in triple the performance benefit. if you're made of money, no problem but for mere mortals seems like an expensive bling item

and in all honesty i have a hard time believing anyone who drops that amount of cash isn't going to say they're not wonderful just because how could they not after dropping $2500 on them. gonna be hard to get a real review
Many would say the same about $2000+ frames... Or $1000 frames...

$80 tires... And mountain biking in general...

Or anyone's review of something that they purchased... Or rode on different terrain or faster or slower than me...

Seems like Enve rims ought to be really light and stiff... No experience to back it up and the price point keeps me away from them too.

Bob

Ps Myitch, you ought just pick something and ride your bike. Has to be better than fretting over every single detail... Is for me anyway...

#4 ·
I was lucky enough to get a few months of ride time on a loaner set last year.
All I can say is wow.
So light and so stiff, I felt like I had a set of bomber freeride wheels on my bike except they had the weight of an xc wheelset. That kind of confidence building strength and stiffness with the acceleration of a light weight wheelset was a unique experience.
No question they are very expensive, but I have been dreaming of owning a set ever since I had to give them back.

#6 ·
commited

I don't ride anything else if don't have to, in fact I won't even ride a 29r without them as they make such an extreme difference in stiffness as to feel close to a 26 with alloy rims.

There are lots of good rims out there, but very few great ones and until you ride ENVE you do not know what excellence is. 2 year guarantee as well, with service like that it is hard to beat plus you can build them around the hubs of your choice.

My son has a Flux with very light wheels for XC racing, but the other day he gets on my 5 Spot with wheels lighter than his and was blown away with the acceleration, longer softer feeling suspension and all. Tire weights are almost the same with his rear almost slick, so it isn't like he is running 2.3 AM tires! He noticed the tracking as well, being young and aggressive he is throwing cutty's everywhere, nose wheelies etc etc. The wheels are TRACK.

DT

#8 ·
I don't ride anything else if don't have to, in fact I won't even ride a 29r without them as they make such an extreme difference in stiffness as to feel close to a 26 with alloy rims.

There are lots of good rims out there, but very few great ones and until you ride ENVE you do not know what excellence is. 2 year guarantee as well, with service like that it is hard to beat plus you can build them around the hubs of your choice.

My son has a Flux with very light wheels for XC racing, but the other day he gets on my 5 Spot with wheels lighter than his and was blown away with the acceleration, longer softer feeling suspension and all. Tire weights are almost the same with his rear almost slick, so it isn't like he is running 2.3 AM tires! He noticed the tracking as well, being young and aggressive he is throwing cutty's everywhere, nose wheelies etc etc. The wheels are TRACK.

DT
lol, turner sales must be good, maybe you don't need to make an rfx after all;)

#7 ·
I get the pro Enve arguments for the AM/DH wheels; lighter weight, stiffer.

I fail to see the argument for Enve in XC rim. It is not any lighter than what you can get in aluminum. Sure, it's stiffer but who cares for XC?

I have yet to succumb and shell out over $1.5K on rims. There certainly is a performance advantage but oh my my; those 2011 closeouts cost as much as a pair of rims!

_MK

#13 ·
And these carbon rims are still not quite indestructible as they make them out to be. There was a thread somewhere that someone crashed them, hit a tree or something. This accident caused the spoke to pull through the hole and crack the surrounding area. Enve did replace it no questions asked since he was within his two-yr warranty but he still had to pay for another set of spokes and rebuild.

Now of course, an alu rim would have broken also from that impact. Maybe even more catastrophic. But if you're beyond the warranty on the carbon rims or you bought the rims used, you'd be outta luck having to shell out another $860 or so vs. $95 for some Mavics.

Whether these rims are "worth it" or not is a subjective question with individual answers. I was just looking for the homies here to share their experiences.

#14 ·
They're great, I'm rockin' 2 sets of 32 hole AM rims, one set on the Sultan with a Rohloff, the other singlespeed on the Spaceframe. Had both for a couple of years, they absolutely make a big improvement all around...climbing especially. I haven't even had to true them in 2 years...although I did peel off the bead on one by running 60psi with Nanos on the street...EDGE (at the time) replaced the rim no questions asked. I build my own wheels so no problem with the rebuild. I don't pay retail, if I did I'd have to think long and hard cuz they're definitely 'spensive. But I loves 'em.

#15 ·
Agree with everything x2 said. Being a clyde on a XXLsultan the XC enves are a must if you want the most fun out of your ride day in and day out. Note I did not pay MSRP but at still very signinfant price they are still worth it. Had the original Edge rims and was upgraded to Enve's UST rims which is nice to just run straight up tubeless,no rim strip.
As one person said long ago. Carbon rims are heirloom belongings. Never get rid of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.