destination unknown
    May 2008

El Ciclon vs. 5 Spot

Has anybody out there ridden both of these bikes? Can you help explain the differences in ride quality? Does the pivot position matter, Turners pivot are higher and they use the longer rocker. How does that change the ride?

I did a parking lot ride on both bikes and the 5 Spot felt a little plusher, is that probably just the bike setup? I'm looking to buy one or the other this week. Help is appreciated - thanks!

Bodhisattva
    Fo says you should get El Ciclon, so I thoroughly recommend the Spot.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    If you search there are a few threads, my recollection is:

1) The spring curves are different so they ride slightly different,
    2) Ventana uses a slightly slacker seatube angles which will change fit and balance slightly.

Both bikes are as good as you can get and you will be tickled pink regardless of which you purchase.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    We have a demo of each at Go-ride.com. They are both a joy to ride and two of the very best bikes in the 5" trail bike category. I did a review of the RFX vs the Terremoto (I think on the Ventana board) and slight differences betweent those bikes also apply to the Spot vs. Ciclon IMO.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Fo says you should get El Ciclon, so I thoroughly recommend the Spot.
    ...and you recommend the specialized i am sure

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com
    We have a demo of each at Go-ride.com. They are both a joy to ride and two of the very best bikes in the 5" trail bike category. I did a review of the RFX vs the Terremoto (I think on the Ventana board) and slight differences betweent those bikes also apply to the Spot vs. Ciclon IMO.
    How can I get my hands on the El Ciclon to Demo? I'm in So Cal. Also, I read your post on the RFX v TM. Very good thank you.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue
    How can I get my hands on the El Ciclon to Demo? I'm in So Cal. Also, I read your post on the RFX v TM. Very good thank you.
    where in socal are you?

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    where in socal are you?
    La Quinta. Palm Springs Desert Area.

Jan 2004
    La Quinta. Palm Springs Desert Area.
    i'd call sherwood and ask how to facilitate a demo

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i'd call sherwood and ask how to facilitate a demo
    I did, we discussed some custom sizing. Getting a trail demo is tough. I visited The Path BS a few weeks back and parking lot demo'd a 19" El Ciclon and a 17" 5 Spot. The 19 El Cic was too big, felt firm and the front wheel felt glued down.The 5 Spot feels just a little small. This is leaning me toward a custom El Cic. I have to say tho - the 5 Spot was most impressive - I'm wondering if I rode a 17 El Cic I'd feel the same.

Jan 2004
    I did, we discussed some custom sizing. Getting a trail demo is tough. I visited The Path BS a few weeks back and parking lot demo'd a 19" El Ciclon and a 17" 5 Spot. The 19 El Cic was too big, felt firm and the front wheel felt glued down.The 5 Spot feels just a little small. This is leaning me toward a custom El Cic. I have to say tho - the 5 Spot was most impressive - I'm wondering if I rode a 17 El Cic I'd feel the same.
    unfortunately, a parking lot test, correct size or not, is meaningless...and not a thing any of us can do about that in the end

Bike to the Bone...
    I think that parking lot test helps to identify bike sizing, but not bike handling. Maybe if you tried a 19" Spot you would feel close to the El Ciclon. Check the geometry charts on both sites for head tube sizing. How large was the stem on the 19" frame? maybe you could select a shorter stem if there is no huge difference.

I haven't ridden any of those bikes, so I can't really give advice on which bike to go.

Good luck!