mtbr member
    Apr 2004

edit: 721s long term review

Just wanted to give a nod to my Mavic 721s (actually 521cd). I purchased these things in 99/00 and have beat the crap out of them. I will be building a set to Hadley hubs as soon as I can get my 823s unlaced. Last night on a ride I SMACKED a log and stopped riding waiting to hear a hiss or feel a wobble. Once again, I got nothing but love from the 721. What an awesome product. Don't hesitate to use them. Great match w/ the RFX.
    edit: silly ? on the GD. I actually found it in a brief search. But I appreciate the help there Tcheezy !
    Last edited by greenmacheen; 04-25-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: nonsense ?
    All about the ride

No, that's not phonetic
    How annoyed would you be to get poked in the heinie with the housing sticking out of the post on the Turbo?

Barny runs the Turbo and uses the quick-up feature all the time. I run the standard and don't mind. She tweaks the housing coming out of her Turbos on occasion. No biggie.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Dishwasher Safe

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

feel the love!

ive got a pair of 521's i built up in '98 or '99. toughest damn hoops ive ever known. lucky for me they dont see much ride time so ill have em till i croak. right now theyre my dh set for the rfx. its a gawd damn shame no one makes a hoop this good anymore.

and yeah, look at the amp post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yup I'm going to build the new 721s to Hadley like I said ^ but w/ some lighter spokes (14ga currently) Likely I'll use DB 14/15ga. Though I'm not really sure how much weight savings that will be. I'll take the builders advice there. Good thing is the the high end hubs are going to save weight for sure.

The other 521 set I'm going to "loan" to a buddy. No sense in them going to waste. I think the new set will be more than enough for DH too.
    All about the ride