Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Neg reppers r my biatches

Early pooftah ride report

"Pooftah" in that riding has only been "dial it in" type of riding and real local due to time. I will wait to hit some technical stuff to really make judgment but I love it to far. About 45 miles of mostly XC riding, by Homer standards anyway.

On the climbs it was not so much the weight I noticed but the angles and cockpit. But thats ok...that is exactly what I expected. Due to the long fork (even in shortest 140mm setting bike felt slack compared to what I am used to ride, including how I remember my X5 climbing, even when in 6" mode) and the short stem (50mm), climbing the REAL steep stuff was noticeable and the front wheel really wanted to wander on the FoShizzle. Part of it I am sure is because it is the first ride I have done on a FS bike in about a year so I am seriously relearning to ride. Having said that, I made a very steep climb yesterday which made me happy cause it was the first climbing challenge on the bike and I made it. Climbing normal stuff I cranked up the climb......no problem at all. Bike climbs awesome.

The fork is friggin PSICK with a capital "P"!!!! I was blown away by the fork. The rear did not quite keep up with the front so I still have some adjusting I think. The one thing I hate about FS bikes are all the friggin adjustment....3 air chambers on the fork alone...compression this....bottom out that.....booster...blah blah blah. I have NO FRIGGIN idea if it is even near optimal setting but it felt great so i dont say changing to be honest.

The brakes are amazing! On the first single track downhill I almost bailed badly cause the brakes are so friggin powerful....got used to it shortly thereafter but WOW! I love them!

Not much to compare them to cause its been so long but the tires kicked some serious asss!!! Perhaps slow rolling but who cares.....I love them and will definitley recommend them. It seems that these tires are getting excellent reviews and are the tires to beat, along with the Schwalbe Big Bettys which weigh about the same but apparently roll faster.

I love the cockpit! Yeah, as expected, I felt the short stem and it does not help on "Steep" climbs but on more normal climbs I was fine. On the downhills I would not trade it for anything. I friggin love it and will deal with the climbing disadvantage sicne i did not get the bike for climbing anyway. Playing around on the stairs at the local park it was so sweet to be able to flick the bike so easily....front end lifting is awesome with the setup so yeah, it stays for sure and I will just deal with the climbing disadvantage when it gets real steep....worth it to me since I need the handicap on the downs.

I could not be happier.....I love the bike. The ONLY thing I would touch is to add a Blackspire Stinger chainguide, which is already ordered and my friend at my local shop will put it on cause Bikezilla's email to me scared the crap out of me and aint no way I am gonna attempt it in case something is slightly off.

Will post more after I grow some balls and do something more technical....hopefully later this week in Santa Barbara

cheers

Leash Law Enforcer
    Fo - I probably missed it somewhere on another thread, but what is your build spec? What fork are you running?
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

Outcast
    Dood, I didn't realize you had a 50mm stem on there. Perhaps a longer stem might be in your future? I only slap on my 50mm when I go to the resorts, but hey, whatever rocks your ride.
    Glad you like the fork; I looked at your set-up listed at the SL ATA set-up thread, and it seems that you picked a good start.
    Can't help you anymore than I allready have with setting up your rear shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinch
    Fo - I probably missed it somewhere on another thread, but what is your build spec? What fork are you running?
    frame - RFX ano black, large, w/ DHX 5.0 Coil
    fork - 2007 Marz 66 SL ATA
    headset - King
    stem - Deity
    handlebar - Deity
    shifters - Sram X7 twisters
    Brakes - 2006 Hope M6 front w/ 8” rotor, M4 rear with 180mm 8”. Steel braided lines
    seatpost - Thomson
    saddle - WTB Pure V SLT
    crankset - Shimano Hone 2-ring with bash
    Pedals - Shimano 646
    Chain - Sram PC951
    Cassette - Sram PG950 11-34
    f.derailleur - Shimano Deore
    r.derailleur - Sram X7
    wheelset - DT 5.1 rims / I9 6-pawl rear hub with 10mm thru axle running Hadley 10mm x 135mm thru axle / Front 20mm hub
    tires – Maxxis Advantage
    seatpost clamp – Hope

Total Weight = 35.7 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Dood, I didn't realize you had a 50mm stem on there. Perhaps a longer stem might be in your future? I only slap on my 50mm when I go to the resorts, but hey, whatever rocks your ride.
    Glad you like the fork; I looked at your set-up listed at the SL ATA set-up thread, and it seems that you picked a good start.
    Can't help you anymore than I allready have with setting up your rear shock.
    yeah, 50mm. but honestly, I love it so much for technical that it is gonna stay. i am in pretty good shape can use all the handicap i can get for the downs. i will simply just get used to it...i really dig it.

i really appreciate your help on the shock/fork.....very helpful for sure.

For what it is worth:

Fork
    60 PSI in PAR
    40 PSI in top left fork
    25 PSI in top right fork

Shock
    120 PSI in boost
    1/3 up on bottom out
    I think about 5 clicks on propedal from full

It felt great....not sure i will fuss with it. Coming from a hardtail perhaps I can tolerate more propedal than most and may even add more.

Funniest thing was that on Sunday I rode with a group where one of the riders bought my old X5...he jumped on mine for a short stint and all he said was "butter". Granted I sold the X5 in racerboy 5" sub 28 lb mode and not in 6" mode....

Outcast
    Some more recommendations; on the fork:
    The more you favor putting air in the top of the left leg, the more plush/buttery/cushy the ride.
    If you want/need more boing, just add more psi to the right leg.

On the shock: much of the inspiration that led Darren at Push to create the factory race system for the dhx was due to an interaction between the propedal function and the compression/rebound stroke of the shock. At descending speeds over rough terrain, the propedal, for lack of a better term, would pack up and interfere with the stroke of the shock. So what I'm trying to get at is, I would recommend that you back out the propedal knob completely for the descents.

Bodhisattva
    On the shock: much of the inspiration that led Darren at Push to create the factory race system for the dhx was due to an interaction between the propedal function and the compression/rebound stroke of the shock. At descending speeds over rough terrain, the propedal, for lack of a better term, would pack up and interfere with the stroke of the shock. So what I'm trying to get at is, I would recommend that you back out the propedal knob completely for the descents.
    What I recommend, since your "budget build" got blown out of the water, is to PUSH the DHX. No amount of fiddling will get a stock DHX where it should be on the RFX.

I'm glad you're digging the ride. That's cool.

50mm stem for XC?
    Life....the original terminal illness

Some more recommendations; on the fork:
    The more you favor putting air in the top of the left leg, the more plush/buttery/cushy the ride.
    If you want/need more boing, just add more psi to the right leg.

interesting.....is that because the negative air on the left is "automatic" such that the more air, the more negative effectively?

also interesting (to me anyway) was that I only had 177mm of stanchion showing when in full travel. I assumed that I would have more like 185mm or more or does the fork use all of the stanchion showing so that it could be measurement error?

Powered by ice cream.
    Fo:

For what it's worth, I exchanged the 70mm stem on the Brujamontes for a 90mm this weekend, shoved the saddle a bit forward on the rails, and definitely improved the climbing performance. It's not at 29er level, but more than capable.

I forced myself not to use the ETA and climbed everything at 150mm, so you could surely do it at 140 since the RFX also has a steeper STA.

Check your email.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    interesting.....is that because the negative air on the left is "automatic" such that the more air, the more negative effectively?

also interesting (to me anyway) was that I only had 177mm of stanchion showing when in full travel. I assumed that I would have more like 185mm or more or does the fork use all of the stanchion showing so that it could be measurement error?
    Uh oh.
    Looks like your 66 is stuck-down

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    What I recommend, since your "budget build" got blown out of the water, is to PUSH the DHX. No amount of fiddling will get a stock DHX where it should be on the RFX.

I'm glad you're digging the ride. That's cool.

50mm stem for XC?
    I thought about that....even thought the Cadillac version of PUSHing the DHX is gone, I assume what they still do is sweet.

50mm for XC....heck yeah! i look badazz at the trailhead

Outcast

Correct: as you add air to the left leg, you are contributing to both the positive and negative spring in that leg. No matter how much air you add, it still has poofta soft negative influence to it. My understanding though is that the ratio of positive to negative is approximately the same, no matter how much psi you add.
    I'm currentlu using about 50 left leg, 25/30 psi right leg, 75 psi in the PAR.

The fork will use all of the stanchion should you ever use full travel.
    And for what it's worth, per Squeaks suggestion, from push's website:

PUSH Factory Tuning system for your DHX Coil is designed to get the maximum performance out of your shock while working in harmony with the FOX Boost Valve System. With our Factory Tuning System you maintain all of your current FOX Propedal adjustments, as well as all Boost Valve features, but with an increase in small bump sensitivity and big hit control from our Exclusive VxRII Piston kit custom tuned to your application. Add to that our Exclusive Power-Trac valve feature which increases traction under heavy pedaling loads and braking bumps and you have one of the most versatile rear shocks available.

Factory Tuning System Adds:

PUSH VxRII High Flow Piston
    Multi-Stage Compression and Rebound Valving tuned to application
    PUSH Factory Single Stage Piston Bolt with Power-TracŪ
    PUSH Exclusive Factory Conical Bottoming Bumper System for increased bottoming control

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Factory Rebuild $105 +s/h

Factory Tuning System $180 +s/h

Correct: as you add air to the left leg, you are contributing to both the positive and negative spring in that leg. No matter how much air you add, it still has poofta soft negative influence to it. My understanding though is that the ratio of positive to negative is approximately the same, no matter how much psi you add.
    I'm currentlu using about 50 left leg, 25/30 psi right leg, 75 psi in the PAR.

The fork will use all of the stanchion should you ever use full travel.
    And for what it's worth, per Squeaks suggestion, from push's website:

PUSH Factory Tuning system for your DHX Coil is designed to get the maximum performance out of your shock while working in harmony with the FOX Boost Valve System. With our Factory Tuning System you maintain all of your current FOX Propedal adjustments, as well as all Boost Valve features, but with an increase in small bump sensitivity and big hit control from our Exclusive VxRII Piston kit custom tuned to your application. Add to that our Exclusive Power-Trac valve feature which increases traction under heavy pedaling loads and braking bumps and you have one of the most versatile rear shocks available.

Factory Tuning System Adds:

PUSH VxRII High Flow Piston
    Multi-Stage Compression and Rebound Valving tuned to application
    PUSH Factory Single Stage Piston Bolt with Power-TracŪ
    PUSH Exclusive Factory Conical Bottoming Bumper System for increased bottoming control

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Factory Rebuild $105 +s/h

Factory Tuning System $180 +s/h
    thanks.

not sure I can do the PUSH upgrade. That would void my ability to call the bike a budget build

Outcast
    not sure I can do the PUSH upgrade. That would void my ability to call the bike a budget build

I figure if you do the upgrade, you'll like your bike even more, and maybe keep it an additional week or two. Plus, it will add to the resale value once you do move it on.

Amphibious Technologies
    thanks.

Fo, your bike is still gonna be a budget build after the PUSH upgrade with the non-XO, no GD parts on there. So Push away.

Seriously Fo, the mods make the bike ride even better. Trust me on this, I've tried them all on my Pack and the Push'd DHX comes out ahead.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Bodhisattva

I figure if you do the upgrade, you'll like your bike even more, and maybe keep it an additional week or two. Plus, it will add to the resale value once you do move it on.
    That ad should pop up in the classifieds any day now

trail fairy
    Awesome poofta ride by the sounds Fo congrats

I felt the same with my bar and stem combo for the first hour now its a keeper if I want to climb the spot comes out to play but Im over climbing I just want to PLAY so what if Im slow up hill its a means to an end and that is coming back down going big and carving corners plus manualing has never been so much fun I now know why its so easy for those dudes in dvds.

You"ll also love it when ya get the chain guide as the cheesy one once said I don't know why more people don't run chain guides what a diff esspecially in the air minimal drag, no chain slap enjoy FO
    [SIZE=1]
    Ps GD will help ya get more outta ya bar & stem combo[/SIZE]
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Will post more after I grow some balls and do something more technical....hopefully later this week in Santa Barbara

cheers
    Tunnell!?!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Great write up Fo !! Please follow it up more pic's with the RFX in it's native environment (yes, you can be a poser with no action shots ).

The natives are getting restless Fo.... you'd be betta off PUSH'n that shock .

I don't think they want to hear another comment about the rear not keeping up to the front ... take their advice .

mtbr member
    ...Fo, before you PUSH the beeeyotch, try backing off the boost psi a bit. I would start at around 90 psi...especially if you're not planning on doing much hammer-time xc on it...make sure you have a t least a turn or two of spring preload as well

I would also concur that a 70mm at the LEAST would help things a bit. I tried running a 70mm on my large a few weeks ago (normally run a 90mm), but I just couldn't get the hang of it....FWIW, the 90mm thomson on it now poses no problems whatsoever to raising the front or doing trials type moves. It seems we ride the same size frames (29er or otherwise)....give it a try

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    It's too light.

A Gravity Dropper would bring the weight right up where it needs to be for perfect, balanced handling!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    It's too light.

A Gravity Dropper would bring the weight right up where it needs to be for perfect, balanced handling!
    i am thinking about just putting a boot on my Thomson and connecting a wire to it so people will think i have a gravity dropper. That way I can look cool yet still live with myself.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I went from a 70mm to a 90mm on my motolite and found that descending actually improved- weird! Having my weight a little farther forward helped with cornering and picking lines at speed. The 90 is still short enough that I can get the front end up and keep it there. That bike has fairly short chainstays BTW.

OTOH, I recently ditched the 70mm off my highline and went to a 50mm. I expected the climbing to suffer but it's no worse. The highline's longer wheelbase seems to help keep the front end down even with a shorty stem.

All I'm sayin' is, you might want to borrow a 70mm and try it- you might find it gives you all the DH benefits of the 50mm but climbs better.

Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I went from a 70mm to a 90mm on my motolite and found that descending actually improved- weird! Having my weight a little farther forward helped with cornering and picking lines at speed. The 90 is still short enough that I can get the front end up and keep it there. That bike has fairly short chainstays BTW.

OTOH, I recently ditched the 70mm off my highline and went to a 50mm. I expected the climbing to suffer but it's no worse. The highline's longer wheelbase seems to help keep the front end down even with a shorty stem.

All I'm sayin' is, you might want to borrow a 70mm and try it- you might find it gives you all the DH benefits of the 50mm but climbs better.
    good point....i will try to borrow a 70mm and give it a whirl...what the heck. though I did do a lot of climbing this weekend and while it was clearly not optimal with the 50mm, i did ok but yeah, worth a try.

cheers

trail fairy
    Don't do it FO don't bow to the lycra XC peer pressure ya can't drop the white stem

Seriously after 4 rides on my RFX Im so in tune at the mo I wouldn't change a thing. I don't like to change things too quickly until Im comfortable with the current setup otherwise u change shiat all the time and get nowhere, experience has taught me this and I still have to fight the urge

If ya don't find it too much of an issue now it will only get better as ya get more used to the bike, minimise the disadvantages and maximise the advantages I say anyways my 2c
    Enjoy and go kick ass now I wana see some air time from you bud
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast