aka...appBLING72

E13 DRS set up issues on pack??

I have a problem with the chain falling from middle(32) to granny(22) when I back pedal using my E13 DRS chainguide. I have aligned the bashguard and lower pulley assembly according to installation instructions. I am running Saint cranks and I'm not really sure if I should or should not use the spacer since the DRS backplate acts like a spacer in between the frame and Integrated BB. When I put the chain in the middle(32) and 5th gear in the rear the chainline is perfectly straight. It only falls off while back pedaling when I'm in middle and 1st 2-3 cogs in the rear. Maybe it should fall off since the chainline isn't perfect there, but I thought I would be able to back pedal in the gears as well. I may be an idiot for thinking thatso correct me if I'm wrong. thanks!

No, that's not phonetic
    Since the chain is rolling over the smaller part of the stepped roller when in the middle ring, and this keeps the chain from moving inboard (where it would have to climb onto the larger part of the roller), it disallows the chain from even feeding onto the granny. If it is falling onto the granny, then you need to space the roller farther outboard, presumably using the additional spacer plates. I run only one plate with my DRS and the chain has never fallen to the granny when backpedaling.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Since the chain is rolling over the smaller part of the stepped roller when in the middle ring, and this keeps the chain from moving inboard (where it would have to climb onto the larger part of the roller), it disallows the chain from even feeding onto the granny. If it is falling onto the granny, then you need to space the roller farther outboard, presumably using the additional spacer plates. I run only one plate with my DRS and the chain has never fallen to the granny when backpedaling.

I originally was using only one backplate spacer and just the actual chainguide backplate itself as a spacer between the frame and the BB, but it still rolled off in the middle ring and first 3 gears. 4th gear on it won't drop. E13 told me after some extensive phone time that the only other thing they could possibly imagine it to be wasa frame alignment issue. Any other thoughts? BB spacers, alignment check, etc...?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aappling72
    I have a problem with the chain falling from middle(32) to granny(22) when I back pedal using my E13 DRS chainguide. I have aligned the bashguard and lower pulley assembly according to installation instructions. I am running Saint cranks and I'm not really sure if I should or should not use the spacer since the DRS backplate acts like a spacer in between the frame and Integrated BB. When I put the chain in the middle(32) and 5th gear in the rear the chainline is perfectly straight. It only falls off while back pedaling when I'm in middle and 1st 2-3 cogs in the rear. Maybe it should fall off since the chainline isn't perfect there, but I thought I would be able to back pedal in the gears as well. I may be an idiot for thinking thatso correct me if I'm wrong. thanks!
    I had this exact problem on 2 RFXs and then my pack. E13 even looked at it and didn't see a problem with the set-up. One day while I had the cranks off, I did place an extra spacer behind the boomerang as tscheezy suggested you do. And it worked. I was about to give up on the E13 prior to that moment as it was incredibly frustrating.

Team Sanchez
    Hey Tscheez, I hear you are going to send Crash your DRS to try out for a while. You mind if I giver a shot? I'm thinking the DRS is the best option at this point for a chain retention device. Thanks.

No, that's not phonetic
    Sure, no worries. It is in the mail as we speak. You guys can wrestle for who gets it first.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus
    I had this exact problem on 2 RFXs and then my pack. E13 even looked at it and didn't see a problem with the set-up. One day while I had the cranks off, I did place an extra spacer behind the boomerang as tscheezy suggested you do. And it worked. I was about to give up on the E13 prior to that moment as it was incredibly frustrating.

Thanks problem solved. Actually it wasidiot error. I had put the roller on the wrong freaking way. Wow, build up the whole bike and put that on the wrong way. Crazy what happens at 3am building up a bike. Anyway, Working like a charm now. thanks!