Well Biked
    Jun 2005

E-Thirteen DRS on a Highline

I just recently installed an E-Thirteen DRS on my Highline. First chain guide I put on any bike, so I never paid much attention before. Seems it hangs a little lower then the bottom of the bashring that comes with it (36 tooth). I looked at some picks of others peoples Highlines and they look similar.

Is this right? It seems they would be in a vulnerable spot to get smashed by a rock.

I'm not really impressed by the quality, by the way. Way too much plastic for something that is likely to see a lot of rocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scepticshock; 07-12-2008 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Adding picture

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock
    I just recently installed an E-Thirteen DRS on my Highline. First chain guide I put on any bike, so I never paid much attention before. Seems it hangs a little lower then the bottom of the bashring that comes with it (36 tooth). I looked at some picks of others peoples Highlines and they look similar.

Is this right? It seems they would be in a vulnerable spot to get smashed by a rock.

I'm not really impressed by the quality, by the way. Way too much plastic for something that is likely to see a lot of rocks.

Kind of hard to tell in that picture.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Kind of hard to tell in that picture.
    they come in all white now? sweet! its like ya cant even see it huh?
    No, I'm NOT back!

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    On mine, I had to sand down the tops of the plastic guide plates to use the ISCG tabs. Otherwise, the bottom of the chainstay made contact. It's above the bashguard this way. My DRS is older and has fixed holes, though, so I couldn't adjust it down.

I'd rather break some easily replaceable plastic parts than the (not so easily replaced) tabs on the frame.

that may be a good point. diff frames may require some mods of any given guide system for fit. i had to give mine plenty of dremel love to fit my rfx properly, gettin the rollers in a place where theyd do their job and not be prone to ground strikes.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Sorry! Picture uploaded.

Wouldn't want to break my tabs. I just had them rewelded.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    A little trimming of the lower roller back plate (composite) to the shape of the chainstay will allow you to 'tuck' it up a little further. I usually only leave about 1/2mm between the chainstay and plate.

As far as the 'plastic' jab, the upper and lower parts are made of glass fiber reinforced engineering resin (maybe nylon)...tough stuff. Anyone remember Z rims, or skyway tuff wheels....same stuff.
    The bash is made of some proprietary polycarbonite (stuff used for bullet proof glass...bomb shields, etc) again some tough a$$ stuff.
    Its only weakness is some chemicals (petrolium distilates) and over-tightening of the chainring bolts....

Post a drive side pic (as Mr Woooooooooo hinted as) and more feedback would be provided.

remember tuff wheels and z rims you ask? personally, i liked the tuff II's better.

septic: yer setup looks fine. you could tuck it up a bit more the way dp suggests or install a larger dia bash ring but its pretty well protected as it is. heres a system i just modded up for dh use on my rfx. ignore the old dual roller style truvative guide and pay more attention to the race face bash w/ a 40t capacity. what ya cant see is the dremel work on the mounting plate and arms to clear the stay and b/bkt. i just finished spacing the bash out further to clear the pins so the rollers can tuck further down onto the chain behind it. 4 spare washers from some old supercharger h/ware did the trick. what i may end up doin is havin the pins machined down 1.75 mm so they tuck back into the rollers as designed and remove the washers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 07-13-2008 at 01:10 AM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock

Unless you're doing urban on it I wouldn't worry about it. The only time you would hit it would be on square edged stuff. I have one on my highline and I've never hit it. The one on my old RFX got smacked a bunch times and help up fine.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    I'll run it like this and see how it goes, before I try to trim anything down. Thanks for the input guys.

CC- Good luck with the DH build on the RFX. Looking good!

i hope its gonna work out the way ya need it to.

and thanx man. hit up a gravel path through a park ride with candycorn to make sure it worked and was gonna take it out on the local dh run a few times but got sidetracked with a good buddy who just came home from kosovo. we rode xc for 3 hours instead and it was worth it.
    No, I'm NOT back!