DWL Spot

Hi, my new DWL Spot.

Spot Iron Glimmer medium
    Chris King headset
    Talas 36R fork
    XTR chain set,front mech and pedals
    Sram XO rear mech and shifters
    Formula The One brakes 180 mm front and rear
    Hope hubs laced to DT Swiss 4.2D rims (hope built)
    Thomson stem and post, Eaton EA70 monkey bar
    Fizik Gobi saddle

The frame was purchased at Wheelbase Cumbria and the first one they have built up. They used the parts from my old Spot. Great deal and service.
    Again great service from Spark Cycles Carlisle who supplied the forks and brakes.

Compared to the older Spot the first thing you notice is how the stiff it is and it's climbing ability; not that the old one was slow but this feels more planted/sure footed if you know what I mean. I haven't had to use the pro-pedal yet.
    Is it me or are the frame tubes larger/thicker?

Wheelbase seems to have sorted the cable routing for the front mech with a zip tie on the top tube (see pic).

I was one of the lucky few in the UK who ordered and received the Spot frame before the recent price hike.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Was thinking about the 36 TALAS myself - how does the 36 match the frame? Looks sweet by the way...

I'm more of a dog person
    very very nice. can you post some larger pics? i'd like to check that thing out a little closer as its pretty much what i plan to build. thx.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by NICK-O-LAI
    Was thinking about the 36 TALAS myself - how does the 36 match the frame? Looks sweet by the way...
    I am loving the 36 TALAS on my new DW Spot. The new frames are so stiff and confidence inspiring that the 36 feels right at home.
    I have found the best way to run the FD housing at the ST brace is with as little (upward) loop as possible.
    This way no zip tie is needed and there is no rocker rub on the housing.

Moosehead
    nice horse, congrats sr and enjoy. more ride reports would be much appreciated if you get a chance.

i see the focus group thread responses on cable routes, but still can't shake the feeling that the traditional top of the TT over the rocker routing would produce less or acceptable bends (certainly than the FD loop), avoid rear shock rub, and be cleaner. YMMV.

I'm more of a dog person
    btw how tall are you? i would be getting a medium frame as well and im curious about the setup you have. nice choice of the rims as well, ive been running those for 2 years and have taken tons of abuse. great am rim for people < 200lbs.

trail fairy
    Congrats Skye
    looking good, nice rig, good to see moar kool aid in the UK

Considering the one big thing the first thing everyone notices, maybe DT should rename the 5.Spot the 5.Stiff

Nah dosen't sound right does it, we all get it, this stiffness has me intrigued though, I'd like to know more if you guys were running QRs before and have upgraded to ta especially the rear, and or bigger front forks ta as well on the new Spots, be good to mark this in ya speccs in the data base, for posterity!

Don't doubt ya comments because the design itself lends to the stiffness increase, I don't need to be convinced!

Shorter rocker alone makes a big difference imo, mini links, smaller tri makes a stiffer tri than a larger one its mathematics's.

Still be nice to get comparisons!

Skye again very nice, look fwd to some wet riding from you, some UK ride picc;'s and reviews UK Homie, rip it up, with some close up pix sometime!

Cheers
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Wicketed

Another UK Spot...

...now I'm getting really jealous

Great looking bike, Skye. And I guess you've got some pretty stunning trails on your neck of the woods to test it out on...
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    [QUOTE=1soulrider]I am loving the 36 TALAS on my new DW Spot. The new frames are so stiff and confidence inspiring that the 36 feels right at home.
    1soulrider - I have TALAS 36 I have been wanting to try on my DW Spot. Do you find you use the 36 at the 130 and/or 160? I tried the TALAS 36 on my 07 Spot and did not like it. It did not seem to match up well. However, all of the feedback has been positive regarding the TALAS 36 on the DW Spot.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Nice Build

So that makes two of us with Iron Glimmer Spots in the UK , I got mine before the price hike as well

I'm still debating on whether to go for a 15QR or bite the bullet and go for a Float/Talas 36 and some new front hubs. I really like the feel of the Vanilla 32, but I have never tried a Talas 36. I know that the newer ones have much better damping than the early models.

As mentioned above, do you run in 160mm all the time, or drop it to 130mm for the climbs?

btw: Mojo in the UK offer a replacement lower leg fork option for 149, so you can convert a recent Fox 32 to a 15QR, for a third of the cost.

I recommend the following for the front mech cable routing:

DW Front Cable Side.jpg

DW Front Cable Back.jpg

The welds keep it in line, and its one less zip, which should be easier to keep clean.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Beautiful

I like the top and side views of the ft mech cable routing! Thanks for the support.

DT

Committed
    Decender- you have the FD housing done right, just like I mentioned above the less 'loop' the better. Just a nice clean arc and it stays tucked in place, no rubbing.

About the 36, I vary the fork travel based on what I am riding. For extended downhills or rolling tech terrain I leave it at 160mm.
    For rolling less tech trails and extended climbing I use it at 130mm.
    For steep switchbacks or short very steep climbs I will lower it to 100mm.
    The Spot feels well balanced in both the 130 and 160 settings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks every one for the great comments.

The Talas 36 matches the frame well. I had a Talas 32 on my old Spot and the big difference between the two (apart from travel) is the 36 is a more stable ride but it sacrifices some flick-ability in the turns( I much prefer the stability). At my age I am not a lycra clad whippet and with my weight they just seem burlier. They are very plush and progressive in the travel and reasonably easy to set up.

For moderate to steep climbs I drop to the 100 mm setting; this depends on the terrain as well, 130 mm sometimes for slight inclines however for most duties I tend to leave it in the 160 mm . The Talas dial can be a pain to reach and use at times.

The other thing is that the 36 looks made for this frame. The old Spots tubes looked a little puny with the 36 on the front. Someone will tell me they're exactly the same diameter!

Overall the forks are great and inspire confidence. I couldn't return to 32s for this bike.

The 36s are the dogs b****cks.

Nick-O-Lai and Decender hope this helps.

Thanks
    Last edited by skyerose123; 01-07-2009 at 05:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i trialled a large spot with 55 rc3s on it and it feels incredible with the longer travel fork. climbing was sweet and descending felt like a 6.5" bike - endless travel ... ...pure lovely =)

mtbr member
    May 2007

Big Forks...

Excellent feedback 1soulrider, skyerose123 & ants.

It looks like Fox Talas 36's are fast becoming standard fitment on DWL Spots, I think 4 have been posted already. You are all making my Vanilla 32 RLC equipped Spot look under forked

What is the official line, does replacing Vanilla 32 QR with Talas 36 20mm, count as UGI, or a sound riding/sporting/technical investment?

destination unknown
    May 2008
    I like the idea of a Lyrik Solo Air with 15mm travel reducer. The fork should provide the stiffness of a 36 with an axle to crown height that gets you up and down without the need for adjustment... and it's only 5.0lbs. I'm seriously considering this fork for my DWL Spot.

I currently have a Push'd Pike. The Spot feels so deep and plush that it makes the Pike feel very firm at times. Plus I'd like raising the A to C an additional 12mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thats what I'm putting on mine. Got the Lyrik solo air earlier in the week and running 20mm spacer to start with to see how it rides. Its an easy job and only took about half an hour but it feels strange pulling a new fork to bits before it was ridden !

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugs
    Thats what I'm putting on mine. Got the Lyrik solo air earlier in the week and running 20mm spacer to start with to see how it rides. Its an easy job and only took about half an hour but it feels strange pulling a new fork to bits before it was ridden !
    Cool ! I look forward to hearing your feedback.

mtbr member

You are welcome

"Again great service from Spark Cycles Carlisle who supplied the forks and brakes."

Thanks
    I haven't been here for months that was nice to see.
    Stay off the brakes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue
    Cool ! I look forward to hearing your feedback.
    Just as an FYI, the 36 Float can be spaced down as well.

not so super...
    I've been saying it for a long time - the Talas 36 and 5.5 Spot are perfect mates.