mtbr member
    Jul 2007

DWL Riders with the new Enduro Needle Bearings...

Anybody getting just a touch of pedal bob after the needle bearing install? First ride with needle bearings top and bottom, and I've got some pedal bob while pedaling seated in the flats. Never noticed it before with DU's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    One additional click of rebound damping sorted that out for me on the DW Sultan. Those bearings are a really sweet little improvement.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    how many rebound clicks total are you running now (and your rider weight & psi)?

mtbr member
    Buy a hardtail, or learn how full suspension actually works.
    Stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    dropmachine.com, go **** yourself.

the oem du bushings added an inherent measure of both compression and rebound dampening. i'm trying to find out how to compensate, now that i've installed the needle bearing setup.

had another fairly long ride today, still have a touch of pedal bob when wide open on the rp23. tried pp 1, mostly eliminated it, but that introduces the whole overdampening aspect.

any ideas? besides dropmachine.com, who should be busy stretching his cock so it can reach his *******.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjn1014

the oem du bushings added an inherent measure of both compression and rebound dampening. i'm trying to find out how to compensate, now that i've installed the needle bearing setup.
    You've answered your own question.

To restore the pre-enduro bearing ride feel (if that's what you're after) you need to add rebound damping, red dial clockwise on the rp23, and add compression damping with the blue propedal lever and selector.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i don't really want to run a platform, though. i guess an eventual push, for an increase in compression dampening, might be in order?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It would make sense that the stock tune for those shocks would be based upon the inherent drag of the DU bushings.

Based on what you are experiencing, I'd see what push can do to optimize the shock w/out the use of the propedal circuit, as you're not content with the ride using the propedal setting.

mtbr member
    i don't really want to run a platform, though. i guess an eventual push, for an increase in compression dampening, might be in order?
    propedal is compression damping.

the advice kosmo and I have given will likely solve your problem, as will spending $$$ by sending your shock to Push.

mtbr member
    dropmachine.com, go **** yourself.

had another fairly long ride today, still have a touch of pedal bob when wide open on the rp23. tried pp 1, mostly eliminated it, but that introduces the whole overdampening aspect.

any ideas? besides dropmachine.com, who should be busy stretching his cock so it can reach his *******.

awwww muffin. You're gonna hurt my feelings.

The point still stands. You've made your suspension super slick and smooth (good idea), removing the slight bit of resistance thats inherent in a bushing system (meh), but have realized the truth that ALL suspension bikes move at least a little bit (truth hurts) and are now whining about it trying to delete that tiny bit of movement. Why? Do you really think that tiny bit of movement is going to harm your ride? Is it really bugging you that much? Where are you even noticing this, the parking lot? If you can notice that tiny bit of bob on the trail, then you're riding trails that don't require that bike anyways. If so, buy a hardtail, for serious.

Its smarter to have that little bit of bob and keep your shock at settings that will maximize traction and performance, rather then deaden the hell out of it with compression damping, propedal and god knows what else just to stop a little bit of bob. Its a full suspension bike, so let it act like one.

Pretty sure the only way to stop it from bobbing while keeping the shock completely active would be to add and engine so there is continuous tension on the chain, or to spin in absolutely perfect circles, which neither you nor any other human in the world is doing.

FS has its tradeoffs, no matter what the design. If all its doing is bobbing a tiny bit, then thats pretty damn good. Stop believing all the hype and horseshit that manufacturers spill out about their bikes and instead learn what the true strengths and weaknesses are.
    Stuff.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by dropmachine.com
    awwww muffin. You're gonna hurt my feelings.

The point still stands. You've made your suspension super slick and smooth (good idea), removing the slight bit of resistance thats inherent in a bushing system (meh), but have realized the truth that ALL suspension bikes move at least a little bit (truth hurts) and are now whining about it trying to delete that tiny bit of movement. Why? Do you really think that tiny bit of movement is going to harm your ride? Is it really bugging you that much? Where are you even noticing this, the parking lot? If you can notice that tiny bit of bob on the trail, then you're riding trails that don't require that bike anyways. If so, buy a hardtail, for serious.

Its smarter to have that little bit of bob and keep your shock at settings that will maximize traction and performance, rather then deaden the hell out of it with compression damping, propedal and god knows what else just to stop a little bit of bob. Its a full suspension bike, so let it act like one.

Pretty sure the only way to stop it from bobbing while keeping the shock completely active would be to add and engine so there is continuous tension on the chain, or to spin in absolutely perfect circles, which neither you nor any other human in the world is doing.

FS has its tradeoffs, no matter what the design. If all its doing is bobbing a tiny bit, then thats pretty damn good. Stop believing all the hype and horseshit that manufacturers spill out about their bikes and instead learn what the true strengths and weaknesses are.
    DM speaks the truth. I ran into a newb last week on the trail. He had pinch flatted his tire 'cause he was riding his FS bike with the lockout on. He was convinced that any amount of movement was sucking his power. I basically told him that was a bunch of crap. As DM was saying, the optimal damper will allow a little bit of movement or otherwise your suspension is not going to be active enough. That movement helps with control and traction by assuring your suspension is doing its job. If anything I would take Kosmo's advice and add a bit of rebound.
    On another note, for out of the saddle climbs, having extra compression damping (such as should be provided by the PP 3 setting) does help maximize efficiency since no shock optimized for in the saddle riding will be optimized for out of saddle since that is large amount of added downward force.
    Hope this helps...happy riding
    p.s. Thanks for the input on the needle bearings. They seem to be very effective.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    listen to Kosmo
    he probably puts more miles on his Turner every year than 20 of us combined.