Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

dw turner: dw link or split pivot

I didn't have time to read the dw turner threads 140+ responses. Does anyone know which design Turner is going to use?

I looked at DW's website and the split pivot looks ripe for Turner, because he could use a zerk bushing system. Since Dave has been moving that pivot all over, I guess if Dave builds a model with a pivot at the axel than he is basically splitting the difference between a HL & a TNT. If you use the split pivot design, does this mean that you continue to use a the current single pivot with rockers design or an you use the dw linkages with this design.

If Dave Turner uses the dw linkages that will also be cause for celebration. Iron Horse bikes were always equipped with junk shocks and forks. The Ibis bikes are said to ride a lot better than the "Pivot Mach series" according to my friend Ray who has ridden them at Sea Otter.
    Although he liked the Pivot 29 er quite a bit.

I'd like to take the credit for being the first to suggest that Dave Turner consider designing a DW linkage bike. Although I consider myself a Turner loyalist, and love my Burner. I was castigated by the few, the proud, the 'old line homers' as a 'Troller'. To those Homers, who only drink koolaid , and who cast aspersions on view points other than their own ... SMD .

CHEERS,

KANE

mtbr member
    In that thread, nobody from Turner bikes confirmed or denied anything about DW-Link suspension.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xtr444
    In that thread, nobody from Turner bikes confirmed or denied anything about DW-Link suspension.
    If they don't deny it, it must be true.

mtbr member
    Although it could well be true I highly doubt it.

The reason for all the loyalists on this site is the simple strong low maintanince machines. I think DT going DW may lose some of the old faithfuls because of the added complexity. Still world wide sales would all shoot up massivly because of all the DW hype.

Now I am not saying either is better. I just think that loyalty would go down, sales way up.

I think he should just stick to the tried and true.

Do I sound like an idiot?

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by zkampyman
    The Ibis bikes are said to ride a lot better than the "Pivot Mach series" according to my friend Ray who has ridden them at Sea Otter.
    Is that on account of Ibis' sub-atomic damping qualities ?
    Life....the original terminal illness

TLL
    mtbr member
    I didn't have time to read the dw turner threads 140+ responses. Does anyone know which design Turner is going to use?
    I believe that the consensus was that Turner would be using TNT.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

gravity curmudgeon
    I was wondering if maybe there is some truth to the rumor, but it has become incorrectly altered. I am thinking that it seems just as likely Ibis and Pivot will start using TNT. Why? Well, _dw pulled the dw-link license from Iron Horse. Why develop bikes with a suspension design that can be pulled willy nilly. Iron horse has their problems, but they weren't hurting dw-link at all. Heck, they put dw-link bikes on the radar! Some payback. And the dw-link bikes out there are good but for many riders not earth shattering -- more different than better. Instead, why not use TNT with its rider-informed, DT crafted evolution of a platform with proven performance, simple elegance, and unmatched durability? Welcome Ibis and Pivot to TNT!!

Hey, makes sense to me.

Lay off the Levers
    Hey folks, I was wondering, it's been at least a day or two since we rehashed/revived and otherwise repeated otherwise debunked rumors in order to once again start another wild swing to the linkage du-jour
    Can anyone re-read one of the dozen other threads for me and then parahrase it to indicate just what I wanted to hear?

All the websites and whitepapers in the world won't make a better MTB. AFAIK, no particular design is stomping all over the others in sales or consensus of rider opinions. The HL was supposed to, then ICT, VPP, Dope, Felt, *DW, Mastero, split pivot, FTW, and variouse SPs. Each have their buzz. Many do Something better than all the others but pretty much none do everything better than anything else.

Notice there's no overwhelming flocking to any of them? The market is still just as diverse as it's always been.

IMO the biggest contribution to the improvement of bikes is the decade+ refinement of existing designs by ppl who know better than to jump to the latest platform every other model year.

Besides the hew and cry that'll come if/when DT changes platforms again will be rediculous. Particularly all the name calling and accusations of conspiracy and lies. Dog forbid people change their minds when something better does come along.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frisky_zissou
    Still world wide sales would all shoot up massivly because of all the DW hype.

Massively? Doh. DT needs to get going on it asap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

changes

Hi, DT did post replies regarding the 2009 model line up. As I remember the RFX and Highline were to be discontinued in favour of a new freeride frame and the Spot was to remain the same apart from a sturdier head tube.
    There was no mention in his posts of different linkages.
    If DT was to use a dw link then he would have to purchase the rights. After the problems/hassle with the horst link (liscencing/patenting) and then proving TNT worked just as well I wonder if DT would be bothered about changing. If it aint broke!
    Thanks
    Skye

half tread will travel
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xtr444
    On one of the threads somewhere a few weeks back, i read that derby lent out his personal Mojo to DT 4 a spin...
    After DT returns the bike he comments on how he was really impressed the DW ride qualities...
    DT may just have been acting politically correct or his wheels may be turnering...
    tread lightly...earth is our playground

half tread will travel
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by skyerose123
    Hi, DT did post replies regarding the 2009 model line up. As I remember the RFX and Highline were to be discontinued in favour of a new freeride frame and the Spot was to remain the same apart from a sturdier head tube.
    There was no mention in his posts of different linkages.
    If DT was to use a dw link then he would have to purchase the rights. After the problems/hassle with the horst link (liscencing/patenting) and then proving TNT worked just as well I wonder if DT would be bothered about changing. If it aint broke!
    Thanks
    Skye
    i'm think n that DW will only license a DW-link 2 better the breed and a good example of that is Ibis and now Pivot...
    The probable cause of IH's loss of license is a contact not renewed because of less than perfect history...

Paper or plastic?
    I heard that DT would license the new single pivot linkage from Cannondale.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Hisforever
    i am suprised i even replied to this kind of thread, but theres some incorrect stuff here.

the highline goes next year, but the rfx stays, it will be modified to cover more model ground since the highline will be absent.

you guys seriously think dt will use a dw link just because he commented one rides ok.?

this is silly thinking
    Jesus Saves

gravity curmudgeon
    Bike industry rumors on forums are just another way of surviving the work day. Some rumors are more fun than others.

Just the other day I heard that Spot bought Maverick. Oops. Turned out to be true. You just never know. That's part of the fun.

BTW, in my own predictions of rumors in the cycling industry, I am 0 for 10,014.

And, zilla, I sort of agree with you. I think the biggest improvement in mtbs over the last 10 years has been with the shocks and forks. That opened the door to a lot more designs and increased options for creative tweaking.

Lay off the Levers
    It seems like some undercover troll repost "Derby Said DT luvz DW*at Otter" every couple of days.

Just because he didn't jump off the bike and barf is not a ringing endorsement or indication of change in direction. There is such a thing as professional respect of competing product.

Derby posted like one line of his interpetation of DT's impression and went on for 2 paragraphs about why Derby likes it. As to vaguely suggest this was DT's thinking.

BTW he posted it under an assumed name not sure why, but that's not the best of endorsements IMO.

CDog, I think shocks definately have come a long way. Interestingly enough, I thinkd the Platform technology that revived a lot of lesser performing designs, allowed the designers to enhance their designs so well that a lot of ppl are now running away from platforms. Not just on the newer linkage designs even the old tried and true SP/Fauxbars trail riders seem to be wanting less and less platform. XC racers are a different story. Well maybe it's part improvement and part a change in mindset.

I think as ppl get access to better shocks and have a better understanding of what they should be doing, it becomes more clear that a well tuned compression system is a LOT better than a platform.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tread Mark
    On one of the threads somewhere a few weeks back, i read that derby lent out his personal Mojo to DT 4 a spin...
    After DT returns the bike he comments on how he was really impressed the DW ride qualities...
    DT may just have been acting politically correct or his wheels may be turnering...
    Well heck, I demo'ed a 29'er the other day. I told the salesman I was impressed with how the bike rolled, but I didn't sell what I have and run out and buy a 29'er just because "I was impressed" with some aspect of it.
    Do folks buy stuff based on being impressed or infatuated with an aspect of it?
    What a stupid question; of course they do. Most of us here are stupid americans.

BTW, I demo'ed a 17 year old hooker from Hoboken once. Allthough she knew lots of tricks, I still decided not to sell the wife and buy the hooker.

gravity curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    BTW, I demo'ed a 17 year old hooker from Hoboken once. Allthough she knew lots of tricks, I still decided not to sell the wife and buy the hooker.
    Doh, think of the money you would have saved!

Amphibious Technologies

Both

That's right; DT will use dw-link + split pivot design combined with 29" wheels and the latest carbon fibre subatomically damped technology to get the best of all. It will be one sweet bike that will climb with very little input from the rider (at least 110% efficiency).
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    Doh, think of the money you would have saved!
    The cost of the hooker's crack habit far exceeded my wife's wine habit. Plus, my wife is willing to help clean the house as well.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    I think the biggest improvement in mtbs over the last 10 years has been with the shocks and forks. That opened the door to a lot more designs and increased options for creative tweaking.
    Dude, seriously... Shocks are such a crutch.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Dude, seriously... Shocks are such a crutch.
    darn it; I get rid of my GD now I have to get let go of my fullsus too?

I guess I better start looking into those fully rigid ti bikes then...
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Lay off the Levers
    Nothing says CRUTCH like a Ti frame.

half tread will travel
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Well heck, I demo'ed a 29'er the other day. I told the salesman I was impressed with how the bike rolled, but I didn't sell what I have and run out and buy a 29'er just because "I was impressed" with some aspect of it.
    Do folks buy stuff based on being impressed or infatuated with an aspect of it?
    What a stupid question; of course they do. Most of us here are stupid americans.

Hey i'm just have n fun with the DT and DW collaboration...
    I'm not go n out and change n my choice of rides either way

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Tread Mark
    Hey i'm just have n fun with the DT and DW collaboration...
    I'm not go n out and change n my choice of rides either way
    Oh, in that case....

[SIZE=5]PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST!!!!!!!![/SIZE]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast