mtbr member
    Mar 2007

DW Sultan Sizing

Someone please help before I lose my sanity

Sorry to ask a sizing question but there are only a handful of owners on the setup thread and I cannot manage to get a demo prior to buying so am relying on my instinct not to make a very expensive error.

At 6' 2.5" with a 34.5" inside leg I am very much stuck between sizes, my current bikes all have a virtual cockpit length (centre of seat rail to centre of bar at normal saddle height) of around 71-72cm. I feel that the XL would stretch me out too much and I have been stung by an XL Specialized enduro (03) in the past and dread the thought of owning another barge.

Are there any other tallish owners of Large DW Sultans that can give me reassurance??

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Although I am neither 6'2 or a Sultan rider, I do know the geometry. A 24.25 top tube Sultan with a 90mm stem would give you a 71.5 cm measurement from bars to seat post measured parallel to the ground.
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

bike weenie
    I'm about your size - but legs maybe 1/2" to 1" longer.

Just measured my XL sultan- used a level, and took a line from the center of the handlebars, which ended up at around my seat level just slightly above the post - so I measured to the very top centerline of the seatpost.

I came out to 74.5cm +/- .5 or so with a 110mm stem, 6 degree rise. I'm too lazy to do the trig, but a 2cm shorter stem would shave roughly 1.5 off this - so maybe 73cm ish. Would be tough to get to 71-72 on the XL.

Shave an inch off my top tube (L size), and you'd have ~72cm with a 110mm stem... I'd guess 70.5-71 with a 90mm. So pretty much what Dave said... somewhere in the range of a 90-110mm stem seems like it would get you 71-72cm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for that DWG, thats a great help. I assume the measurement you took was :

I was thinking of going to a 70mm stem if i went to XL to get the right cockpit length, but it wouldn't give me much leeway if I felt the frame a bit big.

bike weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugs
    Thanks for that DWG, thats a great help. I assume the measurement you took was :

I was thinking of going to a 70mm stem if i went to XL to get the right cockpit length, but it wouldn't give me much leeway if I felt the frame a bit big.
    Correct...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm 6'2" with 33" inseam, and love the fit of my XL Sultan -- I like a bit of a stretched out xc-style feel.

So, maybe this will help you: The new Sultan has a bit shorter top tube for a given size than the previous version, so I would NEVER consider going down a size.

Can hardly wait for it to show up!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Sloth Hunter
    Kosmo, what size stem are you using?
    How is the handling... front end hook up?...er steering, does it seem responsive or slow?

I'm 6'2" with a pant inseam of ?? around 32...my measured inseam in about 89.7cm.
    Is that your pants inseam or the bike fit inseam?...I'm thinkin the pants inseam.

Anyway, does the positioning on the Sultan lean more towards level seat/bar?
    Are you more of a behind the pedal (KOPS) rider or what?

And... are you using a setback post or straight?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BooBoo
    Kosmo, what size stem are you using?
    How is the handling... front end hook up?...er steering, does it seem responsive or slow?

I'm 6'2" with a pant inseam of ?? around 32...my measured inseam in about 89.7cm.
    Is that your pants inseam or the bike fit inseam?...I'm thinkin the pants inseam.

Anyway, does the positioning on the Sultan lean more towards level seat/bar?
    Are you more of a behind the pedal (KOPS) rider or what?

And... are you using a setback post or straight?
    After giving DT's initial directive of "no stems longer than 90 mm on the Sultan" the old college try, I slowly but surely went to 100 then 110, where it seems I end up on every xc bike. Steers great, not too fast, not too slow. Mama Bear, for sure. For the occasional trip to Moab/St. George, I do throw the 90 back on, though.

I buy 33" inseam Levi jeans. Don't know what my actual measurement is.

My bars are about an inch below the seat height, so when you figure in riding sag, probably close to level.

I friggin HATE setback posts, except when I was actually doing some freeriding. I set up my seat/crank/pedal relationship exactly the same on my Sultan, Superfly, and Specialized SL2. Makes for a seamless transition, and I've never felt comfortable when I try the "behind the pedal approach", though about every two years or so, I talk myself into trying it for a few weeks. Just doesn't suit me while climbing, and I'm standing when descending, so there ya go!

Hope that helps.

Sloth Hunter
    Good info and great points.

I'm using a 110 stem. The bike is a 24.6" effective TT with a setback post.
    Haven't actually checked my KOPS position...and I don't think it's too slow.
    Because there is so many spacers (1.5mm) on top of the HT it does feel too flexy in the forks.
    The Sultan has about 1.5" of more HT that would eliminate that problem.

So, I'm guessin a XL Sultan would do and I could fine tune the rest.
    I just don't want to be too short in the cockpit.
    I could always use riser or flat bars... depending.

Thanks, now I'm getting somewhere. Just need to get one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    After being a long time King headset snob, I checked out the new Cane Creek 110 on a bike. It really does "capture" the top of the fork's steerer tube better, and should result in less rocking, especially with lots of spacers.

I'm leaning that way for the new build, myself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Stuck a 70mm stem on my current 29er and pushed the saddle back on the rails to get the 72cm virtual cockpit I like. Felt good and more confident than the 90mm stem I normally use so may go the route of the XL with a shorter stem - anyone else running a short stem on a Sultan?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    one thing not mentioned in this thread (or maybe i missed it) is the very important variable of handlebar width.

I'm 6' 3" and have, over time, migrated toward a 24.5 inch ETT length and a 70 mm stem...plus WIDE bars (either DH or custom flat wide bars...700 mm or so). For all mtn riding this approach seems to work best for me -- the wide bars have the usual advantages in tech / rocky descents, but also give some room in the cockpit. the cramped feel that people notice when trying shorter stems is greatly offset if they also try wide bars.

I'm focussed on skiing right now but in the spring I'm likely to get a DW Sultan -- and it will be a large.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thats true frorider, I am using a 710mm flat bar to judge cockpit size so I can probably get away with a shorter ETT than Turner sizing suggests.

mtbr member
    i'm 6'4" and started with a 100mm stem on a XL v.1 sultan. the seat seemed too far forward as i had the feeling i was losing rear grip while climbing. i changed to a 80 mm stem and moved the seat back and it works great and the front steering improved. if i had to do it all over again, i would seriously consider XXL with a 50 to 60 mm stem. i don't know if DT recommends for v.2 sultan short stem or not - anybody know?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have the same problem here. Size 6.2 and long lengs (inseam around 35").

I think it would opt for a XL frame and a shorter 70 mm stem.

Besides that with a large frame you have a lot of seatpost showing. What is the exact size of cbb to top seattube on a large 19" Sultan? I rode once a large flux and it was almost 50 cm.

Cheers,

Fatboy

Dawgwalker
    Apr 2006

Sultan Sizing

Had the same decision, L or XL Sultan, at tad over 6'1" 33.5 inseam, 190lbs. My L frames, including hardtail 29er required several headset spacers and layback post. Discussed with Turner customer service and ordered the XL.

Jived with local shops here on the east coast that are going to larger frame sizes for our slick root trails.

Where you ride may make a difference.

Will know in a couple of weeks after receiving and building.
    2011 Vassago Jabberwocky
    2008 Turner Sultan
    2007 Dean Colonel 29r SS
    2003 Titus Switchblade 650b
    1995 Litespeed Obed