mtbr member
    Mar 2007

DW Sultan or 5 spot?

Hello homers,

I am looking for a new ride and the Turner DW link is one of my favourites.

I have ridden 3 turners HL in the past 2x RFX and 1 five spot. I really loved the handling of the 5 spot and sometimes i wish i never sold it.

What would be the better all round trailbike. I like to ride technical flowing trails and i am looking for a bike that climbs very good and feels fast on the trails. This is very important for me. I am not going to do really crazy stuff. Those days are over.

I have experience with 29 bikes. My current ride is a independent ti deluxe and i really love this bike. The other bike is an intense 5.5 that i do not like that much.

Thanks for the comments.

Fatboy

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I went from a HL 5 Spot to a TNT Sultan a little over a year ago and found the Sultan better suited my riding needs. Handled the techy stuff just as well as the Spot. The limitation is much more the rider than the bike in my case. I found that the Sultan climbs better and does better on longer rides and gives up little on the descents. I just finished building my DWL Sultan and it is definitely more of a trail bike than the TNT one. More travel and extra beef are the big differences. I haven't had a chance to do any climbing on it yet, so I can't offer any opinion there.
    Last edited by 2TurnersNotEnough; 01-22-2009 at 03:10 PM.

Brass Nipples!
    I thought my V1 Sultan was the awesomest bike ever, but V2 will almost certainly overtake it (based on 1 demo and 2 rides of my own bike so far). It is an incredible bike.

There are now great AM wheel options available for 29ers (Gordo's for example) and decent TA forks with 120-150 mm travel, so I really can't imagine buying myself another 26 inch wheeled bike. 29ers are clearly superior for singlespeeding in my opinion, and short of a downhill bike, I think they're as good or better in the FS arena as well.

Especally if the crazy days are over for you, I'm thinking DW Sultan. I wonder if I'll ever ride my 6 Pack any more. A 650B RFX might tempt me, but I see no use for smaller wheels for my riding.

Edited for clarity.
    Last edited by Bob the Wheelbuilder; 01-22-2009 at 07:26 PM.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy66
    What would be the better all round trailbike.
    Depends on what you want.

If you are a Spot fan, the Spot is nimble, zippy and cushy, while the Sultan handles like a barge, feels ponderous and lacks travel.

If you are a Sultan fan, the Spot is dangerously unstable, rolls terribly and the little wheels are constantly getting hung up on stuff, while the Sultan is stable, predictable, rolls fast and its big wheels more than make up for the travel difference.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Depends on what you want.

If you are a Spot fan, the Spot is nimble, zippy and cushy, while the Sultan handles like a barge, feels ponderous and lacks travel.

If you are a Sultan fan, the Spot is dangerously unstable, rolls terribly and the little wheels are constantly getting hung up on stuff, while the Sultan is stable, predictable, rolls fast and its big wheels more than make up for the travel difference.

Having never owned a 29'r and owning 26" mtn bikes since 88, I did not get those same impressions coming off my 07 Spot to the 08 Sultan. My Spot was built a little more All Mtn than most making it slightly more cushy, less zippy and nimble. I thought the Sultan was more zippy, just as nimble and slightly less cushy.

The Spot had an edge in technical DH while the Sultan is better at techie flats and climbs. The 29'r wheels just roll over that stuff better. YMMV

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    They're clearly superior for singlespeeding in my opinion,
    you referring to 26" or 29" here?
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    Clearly 29er

Moosehead
    Enel beautifully summed up the 26 vs 29 debate. Outside of that pissing match, I'd say optimize the quiver:

1) sell the blur, er, i mean 5.5
    2) keep the indy ti 29r
    3) get the dwl spot

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    29er. I've had at least one singlespeed for about 10 years and a 29er singlespeed for just over 2. I think 29ers allow you to conserve momentum much better, and the rigid ride is less punishing if you choose to go suspension-less.

I can see where my original quote wasn't clear, though.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the info guys. I feel something for mooseheads opinion. I am a little afraid to get rid of all my 26" bikes.

I tested once a TNT flux for three days and it rode fantastic on my local trails. I heard somebody saying that the new dw spot with its 5.5" travel pedals as good as the old Flux.
    Can somebody confirm the pedal friendliness of the DW spot? Can i compare the pedal ability of the old 5" spot of 2003 with the new DW link spot?
    As you see i need more a trailbike than an burly all mountain bike. If i go for the spot i would ride it with a rock shox revelation fork with 14 cm.

Hard decisions but i want to be back on a FS bike that satisfy me

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    29er. I've had at least one singlespeed for about 10 years and a 29er singlespeed for just over 2. I think 29ers allow you to conserve momentum much better, and the rigid ride is less punishing if you choose to go suspension-less.

I can see where my original quote wasn't clear, though.
    Word....Agree 100%. Thanks for unconfooosing me.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Sup?

Good job! pedalability.. (is that a word?)

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy66
    Can somebody confirm the pedal friendliness of the DW spot? Can i compare the pedal ability of the old 5" spot of 2003 with the new DW link spot?
    Hard decisions but i want to be back on a FS bike that satisfy me
    I've ridden TNT Flux, TNT spot, Pivot Mach 5, 05 Titus ML (current bike.. sorry! )
    Spec. high-end FSR S-Works, Titus Racer X (29er), Trek Fuel something or other..
    Kona and 08 Titus ML *AND* the new DW Link Spot. Most of my time riding
    has been spent on the TNT Flux, TNT Spot and 05 ML.

Yes, I'm a bit of a demo junkie I guess.. It's more about checking things out
    just to see what I like/dislike etc:

The DWlink pedals as good as / better than all the above IMHO. Even the Pivot
    Doesn't roll like a 29er, but also doesnt feel like I'm sitting atop two huge wheels
    like some 'circus bike' either. It's a difference you can tell right away, with that
    first uphill you come to!

Too bad there aren't more wheel / tire options in the 650B range (27.5) yet.
    A DWLink 5 Spot with that size of tire might be a great 'compromise' between
    the two. To me it's a question of what do you want the bike to do? If you're more of
    a long day in the saddle, less 'flow' DH type, then go Sultan.

What is your height? I'm just shy of 5'10" and when I get on a 29'er I
    feel like all that is under me are these two huge wheels!?
    If you're over 6 feet tall, you have a more difficult decision to make I think?

The final testament to the above is that I have an order in with DT as we
    speak for an 09 DW spot in granny smith green!

mtbr member

Spot IMHO

I test rode them both and felt that the only thing the Sultan did better was be fast on easy climbs and flats. But I'm a 29r newb and haven't been impressed enough to drop the money...yet.

Knollician
    I have owned a TNT Sultan and now a TNT SPOT. I have ridden a DWL Spot. Either way you go, you won't lose. I chose the SPOT over the Sultan as a one bike because I think it is more versatile. I run a Lyrik coil, and that helps. I typically run 130mm, 145mm or 160mm. The bike climbs fantastically in 130mm, and descends steep techy sweet at 160mm.

The Sultan was a great bike, and at times I miss it on more XC rides. Anyway you look at it, 4" of travel is 4" regardless of the wheel size. I do like how well the Sultan rolls over smaller stuff and maintains momentum. I have not found that I am any slower or enjoy the ride any less on the SPOT. The SPOT actually feels better to me, quicker, more stable, and more flickable. Maybe the bike fits me better.

There are far more options to choose in forks, wheels, and tires in 26", though the new Reba 20mm TA is treating dirtbag real well. I guess you just need to figure out what you are looking for. The more xc rides demand a Sultan, a no brainer. If you have modest chunk, I think the Sultan still wins, but either will work. If you get into super chunk like we have in Phoenix, the SPOT kills it. The SPOT is stiffer, deflects less, and changes direction quicker.

Again, either bike will rock. The new Sultan has closed the gap with the addition of the 20mm of rear wheel travel. I bet it matches up sweet with the 120 Reba TA. I have thought about it myself, but i just don't see what I gain. What I lose is a ton of money for what would be a marginally better ride, maybe.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    I have owned a TNT Sultan and now a TNT SPOT. I have ridden a DWL Spot. Either way you go, you won't lose. I chose the SPOT over the Sultan as a one bike because I think it is more versatile. I run a Lyrik coil, and that helps. I typically run 130mm, 145mm or 160mm. The bike climbs fantastically in 130mm, and descends steep techy sweet at 160mm.

Because I trained it well

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006

sultan for me

There is not a significant difference between them in my amateur book. Difference in HT angle between the two most wouldn't notice and chainstay length will make it a little more effort to pop up the front for some on the sultan. Spot could be built up a tad lighter w/ difference in frame and wheels. The spot's billing as enduro trail/adventure xc applies to the sultan too in my book.
    I am 6'0" have a specialized enduro and a rigid redline 19" monocog. I fell in love with my monocog, felt more comfortable and commanding, able to take on techincal trails around the Rocky Mountains of Lyons, CO with tubeless tires of course to give a little cush. What is lost in ability to make it up tight hairpin turns is more than made up with less tendency to endo allowing maximum enjoyment of descents. I hardly ride my specialized endo as I call it now and have been looking for a replacement for some time. I finally pulled the trigger and called up Dave at Redstone Cyclery to put in an order on a new raw Sultan. Hot diggity can't wait for some adventures with this bike