Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Yes, that's fonetic

DW Spot shock upgrade advice

I just got my son an old hl RFX and want to lighten it up a bit with an air shock. I'm thinking about putting the RP23 from my '11 spot on it, so am looking at an upgrade. I want to stay with air, any obvious choices I should be looking at?

mtbr member
    upgrading the spot shock will be an improvement for sure. i instaled a Monarch plus on my spot, great shock, althought it was through Push last year when they were still building them. It is on my Burner now and still amazing. Responsive over the smaller stuff and not as progressive as the fox offerings. The newer Fox shocks might be better. You may want to look into the swap of your RP23 to the RFX, it may be valved a little to light for that bike, could be wrong but as far as I know the DW shocks wont work well with the older frames.
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I like the new CTD shocks on the DW bikes. The RP23 off your DW Spot will have quite a bit less compression damping than typically used on the RFX.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Yes, that's fonetic
    My son is only 12, so the bike is a bit big and very little compression dampening probably won't be an issue for an 80 pounder. Actually, I was thinking about trying to find a 300# spring for the old, Pushed DHX until I thought about the 2 birds/1 stone fix. He'll get a lighter bike with a little more action and I get a new shock....

I was thinking about something a little more tuneable...wish Push was still selling the modded Monarch Plus.

~~~~~~~~
    Float X.
    You're a Fox guy, and you can be the first homer with one too.

"Furruccio....Bite Me!"
    Monarch Plus is bar none the best shock for your bike. I am curious about the Fox X as well. The Push stuff is not as specific as you might think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The Float X is a BIG shock at the 'bridge' end. BIG! It will not come close to fitting anything currently in production and I would be worried about any of the older bikes as well. The rockers hit the top of the shock. The Plus will fit on current stuff and everyone that has ridden it loves it.

DT

Yes, that's fonetic
    Thanks Dave, and Airwreck was ready to throw me under the bus....
    Looks like Monarch +.
    BTW, he doesn't know shyte about bikes, but the newest Homer in the family can't stop grinning whenever he gets on his "new" bike. That's the 4th Turner currently in residence here.

~~~~~~~~
    thats a bummer about the Float X.
    Read up on the Plus here RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 Shock | Blister Gear Review ? Skis, Snowboards, Mountain Bikes, Climbing - The most honest, and in-depth reviews of ski, board, bike, and climbing equipment on the planet.

Still not clear where and how to get the low tune Monarch, qbp has the medium shock and the low tune piston RockShox Monarch Low Tune Piston R / RT / RT3 - AEBike.com

jrm
    mtbr member
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    it may be possible to have PUSH, tune a stock Monarch Plus, for the DW link bikes. I know they are not building them but they may still work on them.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Sounds like Monarch. I could send my rp23 to Push for less than their blowout price, but would have to go without a shock for a bit (although it would be be half the price of a Monarch). jrm, do you have time on a Pushed rp23 and a Monarch to give a comparison?

mtbr member
    I say get a Monarch Plus and send it to Suspension experts. The RP23 is just a bad shock for the 5-Spot. I recently replaced my stock RP23 for a kashima Pushed RP23 and while a little better, does not fix the main problems of the RP23 (poor midstroke and blowing through travel).

If you are a lighter guy, the RP23 may work but if you are close to 200lbs, I say go for something else besides the RP23.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    i originally had a RP23 on my 11 spot and never felt right from the get go, harsh with the small stuff, it felt like it would pack up on the larger hits. Had it Pushed and it improved. Then I switched to a Push built Monarch RT AM, big improvement over all, much more linear and sensitive at the beginning. Finally ended up with the Plus, it is on my Burner now. The Plus really woke up the Spot and carried that to the Burner. Very supple feel, without being flat in the mid range, giving the feeling of "bottomless" action. It is still quite firm in the saddle climbing, that is also the benefits of the DW linkage and design. The bike has a more point and shoot and hang on feel, where as before I would really have to chose my line a little more carefully.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Can't wait, will probably order one this week. I did do the DGC mod on the RP23 and that did help make the shock a little more progressive, but there's still room for improvement.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by kreater View Post
    as far as I know the DW shocks wont work well with the older frames.
    Maybe, but the "medium" compression tune RP23 on the RFX back in the day was crap, way too much compression damping. It seemed like these shocks were orientated towards only XC riding, and as such they tended to bounce off stuff, even with no "propedal" selected, but especially when you turned that lever. I'd probably try the 5-spot shock on the RFX first at least. I couldn't stand the RP23 on my RFX. That was crap, in the opposite way compared to the DHX air. Then send it to Push if it's justified.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hmm that looks like a Kashima DHX Air with compression dials. The float X Doesn't have those dials.

DW Spot shock upgrade advice-2012_fox_dhx_air_5_shock.jpg

DW Spot shock upgrade advice-p4pb9453354.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Miko has better eyes than us old guys 'wreck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I wonder how the new DHX Air rides on the DW frames though as they were regarded as pretty much crap on the 4Bar/TNT linkages.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Interesting .why hasnt anyone thought of the CCDBA ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by trnrbrnr View Post
    i run the CCDB and havnt had any issues and it blows away any of the air shocks ive tried and i cant feel the xtra few ounces ,just cant beat coil & oil .

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Air shocks Baaa Humbug!

Quote Originally Posted by trnrbrnr View Post
    I run the CCDB coil and havnt had any issues and it blows away any of the air shocks ive tried and i cant feel the xtra few ounces ,just cant beat coil & oil .

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: DW Spot shock upgrade advice

The CCDBA is not much of an option for everyone since it would only fit the newer Spots with the bent down tube.

mtbr member
    If you are patient, you might see something from Cane Creek without a piggyback.

Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast