mtbr member
    Jul 2007

DW replacement clevis bolts

I'm assuming its safe to torque these replacement bolts from the outside, as they are all steel construction at this point?

Yea/nay?

BBW
    mtbr member
    You don't need many lbs/inch anyway so if you think you can do it without overtorquing them..... do it

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cjn1014
    I'm assuming its safe to torque these replacement bolts from the outside, as they are all steel construction at this point?

Yea/nay?
    I would think it safest to grease the outside of the outer bolt so it doesn't hook up against the frame.

I can't torque mine up from the inside anyway as none of my torque wrenches will fit in the gap when I have the appropriate socket on them. I think I did it last time by torqing something else up to 5ftlbs and judging how many fingers worth of force I needed to get there, and then trying to judge the clevis bolts the same.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewDrummond
    I can't torque mine up from the inside anyway as none of my torque wrenches will fit in the gap when I have the appropriate socket on them.
    I asked this question to turner support via the web site several days ago but no answer.

I would like to know which torque wrench will fit in the gap in the rear triangle so that you can torque those bolts up from the inside - the wrenches I have and all the ones I see use a 3/8 or 1/2 inch square end that fits a socket, and the length of the sockets are 80% of the gap distance between the clevis bolt points. Hence the wrench won't fit.

Can Turner indicate a recommended wrench, or indicate that it is safe to torque the clevis bolts from the outside?

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Look at the Syntace wrench. Spendy, but it uses a 1/4" drive and is quite compact. I'll try and see how it fits on the clevis bolts on my Sultan.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    Look at the Syntace wrench. Spendy, but it uses a 1/4" drive and is quite compact. I'll try and see how it fits on the clevis bolts on my Sultan.
    Cheers, althoug it looks just like mine, but mine is a different brand (Sykes-Pickavant). It is the size of the sockets that go on the end that mess it up.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewDrummond
    Cheers, althoug it looks just like mine, but mine is a different brand (Sykes-Pickavant). It is the size of the sockets that go on the end that mess it up.
    Hmmm... I won't get a chance until tomorrow, but I can certainly try it on my Sultan and maybe shoot a crappy cell phone picture to illustrate.