Get out of town!

DW Link Sultan rear disc

Can anyone tell me if the new DW Link Sultan's are designed to run a 160mm or 180mm disc in the rear? I run Marta Maguras on mine and had to buy a post mount adapter for my rear caliper. I also bought a 180mm rotor and it still does not seem large enough. It looks like only half of the brake pads grab the rotor.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

not so super...
    While we're at it, will a 203 fit?

bike weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty
    Can anyone tell me if the new DW Link Sultan's are designed to run a 160mm or 180mm disc in the rear? I run Marta Maguras on mine and had to buy a post mount adapter for my rear caliper. I also bought a 180mm rotor and it still does not seem large enough. It looks like only half of the brake pads grab the rotor.
    I'm running a hope 160mm and it fits right...

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I'm running post mount Martas with a 160mm rotor in the rear on my Sultan with no adapter.

Get out of town!
    Thanks for the help. Sounds like Magura should have sent me a new caliper instead because the adapter and a 180mm rotor will not fit right. Maybe a 203 will work but I would rather not run that in the rear. I don't even think DH guys need to run that.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

Get out of town!
    Justin at Magura was great at helping me sort this out and they are sending me a post mount caliper.

Anyone else that wants to run Martas and has the IS calipers may want to take note. I was not able to find an adapter that would allow me to run a 180mm disc in the rear with my caliper. I had to either get a new caliper (which I did) or use a 203 in the back. I could use an adpater on the new post mount caliper I am getting and run a 180 that way but will probably just run a 160mm in the back.

I think I might actually get to ride this bike one day soon!

mtbr member
    Shimano makes the adaptor you seek...

Get out of town!
    Thanks! Now I have to decide if I want to run a 180 on the back or just run the "standard" 160 with no adapter. The 180 is on there now and looks good. I'm sure it would be nice to have that much disc on the back although it is not needed. I appreciate the link though. I went straight through Magura and could not find anything that would work.

not so super...
    FWIW - a 203 rotor has tons of room on the DW rear. I used a Hayes front 203 Post mount adaptor for my Hope rear caliper.