Bike Junkie

DW-Link Rear Tire Clearance 2.2" Trail King

Hi All, I have just built up a 2012 Flux (Medium) and had a set of CK/Flow EX wheels built up by Dave's Wheels. I bought a set of Continental Trail King's in the 2.2" version and compared to my old HL-Flux with Schwalbe 2.25" Racing Ralphs and Nobby Nic's I find these tires MASSIVE.

The clearance on the rear cross-member is very tight with these tires. So tight that the little "nibs" even come into contact with the frame.

Issues? Opinions?

Should I change out to a smaller tire? Race King or back to a Racing Ralph. I just converted to tubeless and would have to go through the re-seating process (without a compressor)

I would have thought to have some more mud clearance. I don't think I will have trouble with the tire itself coming into contact with the frame. I did like not have the chainstay bridge from my old HL-FLUX in that it always was a "table" that collected debris/mud etc. but now this DW-Link cross-bar will become a tire "scraper".

Turner says the max tire size is a 2.2" and yes that is definitely the case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DW-Link Rear Tire Clearance 2.2" Trail King-flux-rear-tire-clearance.jpg  

See You On The Trails!

mtbr member
    The trail king is a massive tire - even the 2.2 one. Maybe use a 2.2 Mountain king or the NN 2.25?

mtbr member
    I've been running trail kings on my 2012 spot and loving it. I've had a little issue with tire rub when the pressure was too low, but other that the tire offers gobs of traction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by polarflux View Post
    I've been running trail kings on my 2012 spot and loving it. I've had a little issue with tire rub when the pressure was too low, but other that the tire offers gobs of traction.
    He is using a Flux, not a Spot.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    I ran a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 and it fit with ok clearance, no rubbing , but I move that tire to the front and run a 2.1 on the rear. The Flux now seems more balanced.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That looks pretty tight. I think the Ralph 2.25 is a little tight too, but is way better than that. I would move to a smaller tire.
    Just Ride!

Bike Junkie
    Thanks guys. Yeah I am running a really wide Stan's Flow EX rim and that probably helped lower the profile some. I do not think that it will make contact but just so little room back there. I think on my previous HL-Flux it would have fit just fine and was surprised when I spotted that lack of space at this junction. I normally run 2.25" Schwalbe Racing Ralph's or Nobby Nic's on the rear with no trouble on the HL-Flux; but this DW-Flux doesn't appear to have the same space. I will see about slapping on a 2.2" RR ; but all I have is a small stockpile of UST tires (converting to TLR went along with this change in bike)
    See You On The Trails!