Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    cycle dad
    I've got the 2010 rp23 w/ boost valve and an xv air chamber on my 2010 Diamond Back Mission 2. At recommended sag I can bottom out by rolling fast up a curb without hopping. Boost valve does nothing. Less than recommended sag equals crappy ride. I'm going to try the shim, but I won't mention it to fox if I need to take advantage of the warranty at any point.

DGC
    mtbr member

awesome

Quote Originally Posted by srbecker
    UPDATE: So I got out and rode with the shim (135x21x1.2) and it did the trick but not to the extend i was looking. Went home, made another shim (135x24x1.2) rode it again last night, and that did the trick. Feels great, running 15 psi lower than originally, giving me more plushness and better bottoming resistance at the end of the stroke. I bottom maybe twice during the ride, and one of those was due to a 5 ft drop onto a sloped landing. Thanks DGC!
    The great thing about the mod has been the ability to make what you need. Thicker, thinner, longer, shorter, wider etc.
    I am blown away at the success this simple mod has done for so many riders.......on any make of bike. Can be made from plastic around the house.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DW 5 Spot RP23 mod-_mg_6284-copy.jpg  

DW 5 Spot RP23 mod-_mg_6283-copy.jpg  

OUCH...!!!!!!

aka DJ Papi
    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    The great thing about the mod has been the ability to make what you need. Thicker, thinner, longer, shorter, wider etc.
    I am blown away at the success this simple mod has done for so many riders.......on any make of bike. Can be made from plastic around the house.

Hi DGC. I think I missed out on the thread of your shims and the DHX-Air. I seem to cant find it in the search here. Can you direct me to it via a link here please?

BTW, just did this mod to my RP23. Dropped 10 psi and shock just feels soooo much better now...

cheers bro!

DGC
    mtbr member

this thread

Quote Originally Posted by emrs0414
    Hi DGC. I think I missed out on the thread of your shims and the DHX-Air. I seem to cant find it in the search here. Can you direct me to it via a link here please?

BTW, just did this mod to my RP23. Dropped 10 psi and shock just feels soooo much better now...

cheers bro!
    If you go to the top of this thread which is RP23 based, you will get all you need for info. The older DHX-a shock air sleeve is basically the same as the RP. I have not looked for the original thread for some time. That started back in like......2005 or 06? I have not checked a new dhx-a.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

aka DJ Papi
    If you go to the top of this thread which is RP23 based, you will get all you need for info. The older DHX-a shock air sleeve is basically the same as the RP. I have not looked for the original thread for some time. That started back in like......2005 or 06? I have not checked a new dhx-a.

Alrighty... thanks DGC... cheers.

mtbr member
    Hi DGC
    Do you think I could achieve the same benefits with a RP23 installed in a 2005 Flux, if so could you help me with the numbers of the shim.
    In my workshop, dirty hands is a state of mind

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hi folks,

I have recently bought a 2011 Giant Reign 2 that uses the Fox Float RP2 w/XV sleeve & boost valve. It looks the same as the RP23 and I'm curious whether I can utilise this shim mod to reduce this typical bottoming out issue?

Daz.

siv
    mtbr member
    I also have a 2011 Reign and can say that the Boost Valve does nothing. Why do us riders have to fix a $400 shock with a $5 piece of plastic? Guess I'll try the mod this week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by siv
    I also have a 2011 Reign and can say that the Boost Valve does nothing. Why do us riders have to fix a $400 shock with a $5 piece of plastic? Guess I'll try the mod this week.

$5! WTH are you gonna use?
    breezy shade

DGC
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deafwish
    Hi folks,

I have recently bought a 2011 Giant Reign 2 that uses the Fox Float RP2 w/XV sleeve & boost valve. It looks the same as the RP23 and I'm curious whether I can utilise this shim mod to reduce this typical bottoming out issue?

Daz.
    I am quite sure the outer sleeve is the same one as found on the RP23, so it should be fine to do the mod to.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

DGC
    mtbr member

Good job! plastic is free

Quote Originally Posted by siv
    SIV,
    In many homes, plastic is free.........any house hold flexible plastic will work. Keep the thickness to about 1 mm. CD containers have been used by some, plastic from a bucket by others, etc.

Does your air pressure reflect the correct sag suggested by Giant? Are you having problems with mid stroke wallow? Or is the rear shock just bottoming too easy?

Mid stroke wallow and other related first half or so of the stroke issues could be fixed with a custom damper tune from PUSH. Just bottoming, then the shim can do the trick.

Remember what Fox does is produce huge mass amounts of shocks for the majority of suspension bike manufacturers. Think about how many different designs there are, even small differences in very similar designs. Now, consider on the RP23 there is only 3 compression tunes and 3 rebound tunes from Fox for frame manufacturers to choose from, and maybe 3 air sleeves too? That is quite limited to choose from for the amount of demand in designs the industry has to offer. That means the Fox tune on most bikes are quite generic, and in no way custom tuned to the rider.

Thank God there companies like PUSH to take it to the next level and offer custom tuning that the shock manufacturers don't offer.

Just shoot for a 1mm thick by 137mm long and 23mm wide piece and see what it does for you.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

cycle dad
    But the boost valve still does nothing at all. That seems like a broken damper problem. I see I'm not the only one with this problem.

DGC
    mtbr member

boost

Quote Originally Posted by taletotell
    But the boost valve still does nothing at all. That seems like a broken damper problem. I see I'm not the only one with this problem.
    I rode someones bike with 2 different RP23's, same exact shock set up, except boost valve on one, pre boost valve era on the other. I could barely tell any difference in the boost valve shock.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

gnuH
    Thank God there companies like PUSH to take it to the next level and offer custom tuning that the shock manufacturers don't offer.
    I'd be thanking Him more if PUSH broadened their horizons.
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have a reign2 i just recently bought and having bottoming out problem. My riding weight is around 175lbs, and i found a plastic sign at work that measure 1.4mm in thickness will this workout for this type on mod for the shock I have ( RP2 ).

I have cut 4 different witdh( 20, 21.5, 22, & 22.5 ) already but dont really know which will work the best, usual rides i takes includes DH, some 3 to 5 feet drops.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just wondering if someone already tried this upgrade on RP23 BV 2010 or 2011? Are the inside parts same? is this upgrade doable on these shocks?

I own 2011 Cube fritzz PRO with this shock and as everybody said- bottoming problem/bad SAG again. So I definitely want to try this upgrade, but wanna know if the work gonna be same as on 09 models.

PS: sry for my english, Im from Czech republic.

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by Josefista
    Just wondering if someone already tried this upgrade on RP23 BV 2010 or 2011? Are the inside parts same? is this upgrade doable on these shocks?

I own 2011 Cube fritzz PRO with this shock and as everybody said- bottoming problem/bad SAG again. So I definitely want to try this upgrade, but wanna know if the work gonna be same as on 09 models.

while the internals may differ slightly due to the boost valve, the outer sleeve works the same as the previous models and should produce the same results. I may be doing a similar mod to my monarch plus when it arrives...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I tried a shim at 137 x 20mm and it made a significant difference to the shock's performance near it's travel limit!
    I'm now able to run a little more sag and the shock will now only bottom out from a big hit or drop.
    Thanks for the advice, fellas!

gnuH

Yes - I'm running the 'standard' size shim on a 2010 BV RP23. Like the non-BV shocks, the BV model was blowing through its travel to easily.
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

DGC
    mtbr member

dgc

I just put a shim inside a 2011 RP23 BV. Same sized air sleeve therefore no changes as far as the shim and air sleeve are concerned.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thank you for responds guys. And ofc good idea about that shim DGC. So simple and (hopefuly) effective.
    I really dont understand why so many companies give this shock on their enduro models!

Well, I think I am going to visit this forum more often now

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    How often should a shock bottom out?
    I have only ever bottomed it once - from a big landing off stairs.
    Might the shim be too large?

cycle dad
    If that is the only time you are probably set for freeride. How does it feel over small bumps?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It seems fine on small bumps but this is my first dual suspension bike - so I don't know otherwise...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just put a shim inside a 2011 RP23 BV. Same sized air sleeve therefore no changes as far as the shim and air sleeve are concerned.

I have a 2011 rp2 XV with boost valve. It bottoms out quite easily and I'm thinking of doing your thing here.

I have a few questions though if someone can answer:

1. Does it do the trick in the rp2 or only in the rp23?
    2. That plastic thing measuring 135mm long by 20mm wide, do we stcuk it in there with glue or something else? Or just leave it there? Wont it move or go away?
    3. Do I need to change the plastic seal to a new one when I disassemble?
    4. Will I need to add any extra oil or anything?

I am sorry for all those stupid questions but I'm new to cycling and kind of afraid to open the suspension on my new bike...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast