Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11
    mtbr member
    I used the plastic from a shampoo bottle. It wasn't quite as thick as the ski based material, so I cut it a little wider. Just measure and cut to dial in the desired volume...
    If your not wreckin', your not ridin'.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eddstinkyjr View Post
    hi I have a 2005 fox float r shock (just been serviced) and it bottoms out way too easily, even if I have 10% sag. So I would really like to give this technique a go since people say it works great. Only problem is can I use some other kind of plastic instead of the ski base stuff ?
    I do live in the alps actually but will a ski shop have this ?
    Thanks, I will be grateful for any help !
    Eddy

PS: great post ! really helpful !
    AS long as you have a HV can, any thin plastic will do.

gnuH
    hi I have a 2005 fox float r shock (just been serviced) and it bottoms out way too easily, even if I have 10% sag. So I would really like to give this technique a go since people say it works great. Only problem is can I use some other kind of plastic instead of the ski base stuff ?
    I do live in the alps actually but will a ski shop have this ?
    Thanks, I will be grateful for any help !
    Eddy

PS: great post ! really helpful !
    I found that the ski base plastic gave me more speed on the slalom type downhills, but I prefer the CD case plastic as it helps with rhythm on the flowing singletrack.
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi, I have a fox float r shock that was bottoming way too easily so I bought this kit Tech Tuesday - How to Install a Fox Float Air-Volume Spacer - Pinkbike
    I have installed the smallest one and it has already made a noticeable difference (very happy !). But it still does bottom out too easily to my liking.

Do you think I can install the medium one even though my shock is 8.5x2.5 and the STANDARD air can ? According to this site the air pressure CAN RAMP UP TOO MUCH AND BLOW A SEAL (and cause serious injury or death ) 2012 FLOAT Air Spring Summary
    Is this really true or are they exaggerating ? I only weigh 145 lbs and put about 165-170 psi in the shock, would the shock still blow a seal with this low(ish) pressure ? (also I like to do jumps so the shock will be using all its travel/bottoming quite frequently...)

I would appreciate any help,
    thanks
    Eddy

PS : sorry for hijacking the thread (but really need an answer)

eBiker
    Do you think I can install the medium one even though my shock is 8.5x2.5 and the STANDARD air can ? According to this site the air pressure CAN RAMP UP TOO MUCH AND BLOW A SEAL
    If you are still bottoming, it is unlikely you will blow a seal.

And you if do blow a seal. Replace with the $15 new seal kit.

P

Brake. Fix. Repeat.
    May 2009
    On a DW 2009 5 Spot..

After using the largest Fox air shim and finding that to be a great upgrade, I decided to order the standard air can from Fox. Shipped from fox in 3 days, and included new seals for the bottom of the air can. I have installed it, and removed the large shim I was running before. I am still dialing it in, but so far it seems to be a very balanced setup with a 36 Talas RC2 up front. I've been jumping the bike quite a bit, as well as riding some fairly aggressive AM/DH trails so this mod might be overkill for most riders. I have lost a bit of small-bump compliance, but that is the trade-off when dealing with a set amount of travel! The bike climbs better than ever.

AIR NEGATIVE VS COIL NEGATIVE: AKA TALAS VS FLOAT

The TALAS uses an air negative spring, the Float uses a coil negative. FOX recommends adding float fluid to FLOAT forks only, there is currently no way to decrease the chamber size safely on a TALAS fork that FOX is aware of.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    If you are still bottoming, it is unlikely you will blow a seal.

And you if do blow a seal. Replace with the $15 new seal kit.

P
    Thanks a lot for your answer ! I'll pop the medium spacer on.

You're right, if the pressure is too great, it will blow one of those inexpensive seals... not anything important/expensive

Thanks !

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    DGC, Thanks a bunch for sharing this mod!!! I tried a spacer the size you suggested I start with, and it went in the right direction, but I needed more... I ordered a standard volume can and put it on my shock. WHOA! Way to progressive. I cut a much bigger strip of material, put it in my high volume can, put it on an BAM! Just right. Thank you thank you thank you.

IBIS MOJO HD, 165 pounds psi, 172lb rider with gear on, hitting medium jumps and drops.

DGC
    mtbr member
    pretty sweet to be able to custom/fine tune your shock's air spring to your liking via a piece of plastic....!!!!! Glad you like it.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just done the air sleeve shim mod on the RP23 XV fitted on my Reign X2. I had previously had to use +225psi to get near 25% sag and it still blew threw most of the travel on trail whoops never mind drops. With the shim I could drop psi to 200 to get the same sag and no longer using all the travel on whoops. Used the side of a CD spindle cover took about 15 mins all in and didn't need to take the shock out either... Sweet mod.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11