Bodhisattva

Good job! dw AND 29er.....demo'd a Pivot today (OT)

Off-topic post, but I suppose someone may find this informative (no, I'm not talking to you FoShizzle).

A local shop hosted a Pivot bikes demo day and I got there bright and early for first dibs on the medium 429 on my most familiar trail.

Fit & finish are 1st class. The pain was s a beautiful metallic red front & rear. The pivots are huge and the machined parts are impressive. I rode the medium which has a 23” TT but felt longer & a bit racier than my medium Sultan which has more of an “all-mtn” cockpit feel.

The tech set me up with 40% sag. I jumped on the bike and instantly bottomed it doing a parking lot bunny hop. The tech told me “full suspension bikes are supposed to bottom” at which point I promptly added 15 psi to the shock

This was my first real ride on a dw-linked bike. The 429 was equipped with an XTR/XT drivetrain, XT brakes, Fox 100 29er fork, front WTB Exiwolf and rear 1.95 Kenda Claw on light DT hubs and DT7.1 rims. My Sultan is stocked with a WB F135 fork and tubeless Panny Rampages on I-9 hubs laced to Stan’s Flows. Between the fork & wheels I guestimate the Pivot to be 2 lbs lighter than my Sultan and I think these differences contributed greatly to the feel of the 429.

The Pivot pedals really, really well and the suspension transitions into active mode extremely smoothly. I detected zero bob on the flats and the bike rocketed up ledgy climbs. In these regards it outperforms the Sultan. I liked the way the suspension reacted to a solitary square-edged hit but wasn’t nearly as impressed by its reaction to repeated hits. This may have been a shock setup issue (although I tinkered with the shock settings quite a bit) but after absorbing that first big hit nicely, the subsequent hits felt harsh and a bit uncontrolled in comparison. Perhaps the shock was packing up, although I doubt it as I kept speeding up the rebound to help compensate. In comparison, the Sultan’s suspension feels more predictable and far smoother on repeated high speed hits. The Pivot’s chasis is extremely stiff, and I’ll venture to say that it feels stiffer than the Sultan – which is no noodle by any means.

It’s difficult for me to draw many firm conclusions beyond this because the Pivot was setup significantly lighter & racier than my Sultan.

The Pivot was lighter, rolled on the flats faster and had sharper handling. I wouldn’t call the Pivot’s handling twitchy - as I’ve yet to ride a twitchy niner - but it definitely carved singletrack turns better than my Sultan. OTOH, the 429 required more input descending through the chunk. The wheel setup on my Sultan has more rolling resistance and weight but is substantially more stable coming down through the chunk. I also pinch-flatted the rear 1.95 Claw twice and I haven’t flatted my Rampage once in almost a year’s use. The Claw sacrifices a significant amount of traction and float compared to the Rampage for the sake of weight & rolling resistance. The Fox felt well damped and stiff but I missed the extra travel of the WB F135.

I found it amusing that the Pivot had a DT hub in light of the recent hub discussion. These types of hubs feel fine to be when keeping a steady cadence but feel broken when I have to repeatedly ratchet up ledgy climbs. To each his own.

Overall, Pivot has a winner with this bike. I’d like to ride this bike again with my choice of components and some Push magic to see if the rear’s ability to handle repetitive high speed hit could be improved.
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 05-18-2008 at 11:43 AM.
    Life....the original terminal illness

rr
    I don't do PC
    If it was packing up then turning up the rebound would make it worse

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    If it was packing up then turning up the rebound would make it worse
    I agree with you.

poor wording on my part - meant to say sped up the rebound.

corrected. thanks.

gravity curmudgeon
    From other Pivot bike feedback, it seems like their bikes are designed to be more on the firm riding and quick handling side of the spectrum. Your feedback sounds similar.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    From other Pivot bike feedback, it seems like their bikes are designed to be more on the firm riding and quick handling side of the spectrum. Your feedback sounds similar.
    Honestly, I'm not sure. I'd expect the Pivot to feel significantly different with a WB F135 instead of the Fox 100mm 29er.

gravity curmudgeon
    Interesting. Kind of makes one wonder what a Turner dw-link would be like ...

Bodhisattva
    Was just informed the medium I rode has a 24" top tube which explains my longer cockpit comments.

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    Interesting. Kind of makes one wonder what a Turner dw-link would be like ...
    Guess you'll find out in '09

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    the subsequent hits felt harsh and a bit uncontrolled in comparison.
    How much of this do you think is contributed to the fact your Sultan's shock is Push'd? i.e. stock to stock, would the Sultan pack up just as bad (worse?) than the DW?

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    How much of this do you think is contributed to the fact your Sultan's shock is Push'd? i.e. stock to stock, would the Sultan pack up just as bad (worse?) than the DW?
    I don't know for sure. I discussed this with Darren and has an explanation for the repetitive hits thing (which was over my head). His opinion is that a Push'd shock would make a big difference and he's working on something to help correct for the extra momentum that the bigger niner wheels generate. This will also help the BO issues which some Sultan owners have reported.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Was just informed the medium I rode has a 24" top tube which explains my longer cockpit comments.
    THanks for the report Squeak. They're coming to Utah this weekend and I may get to throw a leg over one. Still looking for the ultimate replacement for my HH100x. This may be it. I like the idea of a snappier handling bike for that application but with the advantages of the big wheels. I'm looking forward to riding it.

I agree with your sizing impressions. A medium Sultan would be a bit tight for me at 6' so we (tscheezy, Bob the Wheelbuilder, and I) chose a Large Mach 5 at interbike and it was too big for me. When I saw the sizing charts I knew why. Medium would be a better fit for me with Pivot sizing. A 24 inch top tube in a 29er would be perfect for me.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    THanks for the report Squeak. They're coming to Utah this weekend and I may get to throw a leg over one. Still looking for the ultimate replacement for my HH100x. This may be it. I like the idea of a snappier handling bike for that application but with the advantages of the big wheels. I'm looking forward to riding it.

I agree with your sizing impressions. A medium Sultan would be a bit tight for me at 6' so we (tscheezy, Bob the Wheelbuilder, and I) chose a Large Mach 5 at interbike and it was too big for me. When I saw the sizing charts I knew why. Medium would be a better fit for me with Pivot sizing. A 24 inch top tube in a 29er would be perfect for me.
    KRob,
    I think you'll really like the 429. The snappy bob-free acceleration and ultra-stiff chasis are reminiscent of the 100x. It's trademark Chris C.