George Dickel
    Sep 2005

DT Swiss tubeless setup ???

Recently got a pretty good deal on a set of DT Swiss 5.1d's with the DT 340 hub set for my Spot. Much improvement over my old set up, but was wondering if anyone has experience with DT's rim strip/tubeless setup. Currently running Hutch Barracuda 2.3 f&r, but have some WTB or Continental tires around I could try also. MTBR and internet searches revealed little real world experience. Also, anyone have a b*%ch of a time mounting tires to the 5.1d rims? Took my quite a while to get the Hutchinsons on. I am interested in trying a tubeless setup, but have absolutely no experience with any UST, DT or other ghetto set up. Any advice welcome, including running away screaming from the concept.
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I have done the DT tubeless setup on 2 sets of 4.1d and it's gone OK. That's with UST tires, though. I just followed their directions to the letter and it worked just fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    I have done the DT tubeless setup on 2 sets of 4.1d and it's gone OK. That's with UST tires, though. I just followed their directions to the letter and it worked just fine.
    I did a set of 5.1s a few years back, and I'd agree with 2Turner's comments. Go slowly, as the stick-on nature of the rim strip is not terrible forgiving, ESPECIALLY AROUND THE VALVE STEM.

Also, I found DTs sealant to be less effective than my normal Stans/Slime mix.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

I think I need to Upgrade
    I am running DT 4.1s with the DT tubless conversion and I think that it works quite well. Like with any tubless conversion setting it up properly is key, follow the directions and you'll be fine.

One tip I can give you for getting the rim strip positioned properly is to stick a pen between the rim strip and the rim so you can slide it around to help you position the strip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I run stans strips/sealant in my 5.1s on the trailbike works great for the last season+. I really like the way the gooey stans strip rubber seals to the tire. The DT strip looks like it might be a bit more touchy.

No reason to limit yourself to UST tires....I typically run either mich or maxxis non-ust single plys without a single issue (in three years on several rims). If you run double ply tires, just about anything (I have extensively run mich, maxxis and Kendas over the last 5 years on the DH bike without a single tube...) will work tubeless with some stans.

ride better, ride faster
    Yep, I am running 5.1s with the DT rim strip.

Yes the rims are tight with a lot of tyres. When trying to run tubeless it is best to be able to mount the tire by hand, as using tire levers can make nicks in the bead which then need to be sealed.

I am running a Specialized Eskar 2.35 2-Bliss (semi UST tyre, designed to be used with goo) on the rear and a Nobby Nic (non-UST) 2.4 on the front. Both run just fine, but I find I have to run normal tyres at a higher pressure than UST tires. UST tires have a stronger sidewall and so dont squirm or burp off the rim at lower pressures.

The DT strip also has ramps built in, which mimic how a UST rim works, and help reduce burping.

I agree that DT goo is not flash. The Stans or homemade stuff is better.

mtbr member
    May 2004

write-up

I took the time to respond to the same question in this thread with a pretty comprehensive write-up, complete with pics for your enjoyment.

I have been running them for over 6 months now. I went through the usual growing pains of learning tire/volume/pressure points and have a ding or two to show for it. I am now running a Big Betty UST front and an Enduro UST rear (both 2.4s). I love the tubless setup, and I can say that the casing of the BB is tough and sturdy - I like to run it at about 28psi, but have burped it down to 22 and it still felt good! The only burping problems I have had were due to 1. Specialized non-UST design, 2. Casing getting weak after 6 months riding (replaced tire, no burps).

Overall, I am impressed and won't be moving away from UST in the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    There are a few options:
    1. Ghetto tubeless
    2. Stan's
    3. DT Swiss kit

1. I don't trust ghetto anything on my trailbike, too much at stake. (I almost did get the Low-Rider Green pain on the Terremoto, but decided against it.) I do have a ghetto setup on a pumptrack/neighborhood hardtail, so I have set that up in the past.
    2. IMO the Stan's is probably just as good as the DT kit. I didn't like how the Stan's site was a bit ambiguous as to how to install with the DT kit - you might need another layer of tape? hmm...
    3. I purchased/installed the DT kit a few weeks ago. Looking to try a "real" UST setup.

Here are the benefits of the DT kit as I see it: The rim strip is grooved to allow you to seat the bead of the tire in the groove, greatly reducing air volume of the tire, which allows for quick inflation with a FLOOR PUMP.

That is key, as I don't have a compressor, and there is no way I'd go to a station to change tires. I wanted to try the UST thing for the "locking" bead...well, your DT 5.1 rim has the lip on the edge of the rim either way, the DT kit doesn't change the rim profile in that regard, see second pic below. Pretty much any tire with a solid bead (esp. wire beads) will "lock" into that little lip.

Most tires have a pretty solid bead, apparently different mfgs/beads have different properties (of course). Maxxis seem to have an almost-UST bead so you can run them like USTs. I have run Maxxis HighRollers, Spec. Enduros UST and have an Eskar 2bliss to try. I have changed several tires/tried removing and reinstalling and it has been easy and do-able with just hands and a floor pump. I have since added sealant.

Now as for running your normal NNs tubeless, you might have to run a bit higher pressure to get the same feel, since the sidewalls of non-USTs are not as stout as USTs (or as stout as the same tire with a tube for support), so they will deform a bit more under load, which can contribute to that squirmy, rolling feeling.

I went from 2.35 Nevegals DTC Kev bead at 32psi to a Maxxis Ignitor UST 2.35 and I think I pinch flatted the tire on the first ride running 31psi. The tire was too squirmy, but I had been sold on the "run 10% lower pressure" and figured it might be normal. Needles to say, I was pretty pissed coming off of a run of tubed flats to USTs only to flat...Since that wasn't the tire I wanted to start with and the shop knew that, they replaced it for me. A side note: the Maxxis 2.35 was really a 2.25, and I think that, as a clyde, I need the higher volume tire so I did replace it with a 2.35 Eskar...but mounted a 2.4 Enduro in the mean time to get me by. I haven't mounted up that other one yet, just had a baby boy and am off the bike for a week or two until I adjust!

I think that about sums it up as for my experience, glad to help!
    I have bee

George Dickel
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for all the tips, guys. Charzero, thanks for pointing me to your prior posting - I never found it using the search.
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ORVH
    Thanks for all the tips, guys. Charzero, thanks for pointing me to your prior posting - I never found it using the search.
    glad to help!