mtbr member
    Jul 2004

DT Swiss 142 x 12mm axle question

Hey everyone,
    So I'm in the process of hording the parts I need to build up a new Turner. I see a few DT Swiss 142 x 12mm thru axles on FleaBay for around $25 - $35. They are listed as "DT SWISS 12mm X 142mm Through Axle Conical RWS Syntace X12."

Does anyone know if this the axle I need, or is there anything special about the DT Swiss thru axle that Turner uses on their new frames?

I did a search on mtbr for some info about this, and I found one thread about it, where "Kosmo" states that the DT Swiss axle the Turner uses is different and is a special design for Turner frames. I also saw someone saying that a RoCk Shox Maxle will work.

Can anyone verify what I need?
    Thanks!

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Turner frames come with the required axle.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

jrm
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Turner frames come with the required axle.
    Mine came with that exact 142 x 12 DT RWS thru axle
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    That is NOT the axle you need. Turner specs their own version, which is not conical, and which has a different thread pitch than the standard DT Swiss version, and as noted above, the frames come with one.

What are you getting ready to build? Always a fun time!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Good to know a new frame comes with the needed axle. At least one extra part that I will not need to buy!

Well Kosmo, after my previous post asking about the Burner vs. Flux, I'm leaning towards the Burner. Plus, I already bought the Fox Float 34mm x 150mm fork for a great price, which is the Burner fork. While I'm not locked in to the Burner - I could resell or trade this fork, it would be easier at the this point to stick with my original plan to build a Burner. To solidify it in my mind, I may drive out to Fruita on Saturday to rent a large Burner they have. I'm in Western Colorado, and Fruita is 90 minutes away. I'd get it all day, and I could really try some different trails in the Grand Junction/Fruita area to put it through the paces.

Might be money well spent. I would like to get a feel for the 67 degree HA and the taller fork.

You're right, a new bike build is always exciting!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazzou View Post
    Good to know a new frame comes with the needed axle. At least one extra part that I will not need to buy!

Well Kosmo, after my previous post asking about the Burner vs. Flux, I'm leaning towards the Burner. Plus, I already bought the Fox Float 34mm x 150mm fork for a great price, which is the Burner fork. While I'm not locked in to the Burner - I could resell or trade this fork, it would be easier at the this point to stick with my original plan to build a Burner. To solidify it in my mind, I may drive out to Fruita on Saturday to rent a large Burner they have. I'm in Western Colorado, and Fruita is 90 minutes away. I'd get it all day, and I could really try some different trails in the Grand Junction/Fruita area to put it through the paces.

Might be money well spent. I would like to get a feel for the 67 degree HA and the taller fork.

You're right, a new bike build is always exciting!
    Buy that Burner, build it up, and meet me for some rock riding in Moab! I'll be out there October 16 - 21.

If you do get to do the demo, ride every dang trail on the Kokopelli system, and you'll know if the Burner suits you. IMO, the Burner is much better suited to that trail network than the Flux, although I've had fun out there even on a hardtail.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Not sure when it will happen next but ever since I put together my Burner at the start of the year I've been looking forward to the next time I head to Moab.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey Kosmo,
    I'll be in Moab the same timeframe that you're planning. I'll have both bikes and climbing gear with me, so if you need a climbing partner, drop me a line. I pm'ed you with my email address.
    Might you have the Czar with you in Moab? I'm still itching for a test ride on one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Kosmo, we may just have to do that! My wife is camping out there as I type this. I'm jealous, but riding in Fruita all day tomorrow isn't too bad a deal either.

So I have the bike Burner Large rented tomorrow. Time to hit the sack, so I can be there when OTE opens at 9. I won't have enough energy to ride everything out there at Kokopell, but I'll see what my can deliver. Might do some riding on the Book cliffs side too. I'll report back on how it goes and what I think about the potential new rig.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    A mid October Moab trip is in my plans. Maybe we can put together a bit of a Homer Crew together for a ride.

I did demo a Burner on Saturday, and it was a hoot. I wrote up my experience on my original post about XC riding a Burner.

I'm hoping to get a new rig built up here in 2 - 3 weeks. I'm gathering parts right now. I have a fork, f. derailleur, seat post & headset gathered with drivetrain and brake parts being transferred, so I'm getting there! The biggest thing I need to figure out are the wheel components, and if I am going to build them myself. That's a whole other rabbit hole to go down!