mtbr member

DT et al.. Will RFX TNT rear tri fit a 04 Spot front? 650b coversion

Weird question, huh? Well, I'm working on an idea for a 650b wheel fitment for my 04 Spot. The Spot HL stays don't work, but TNT rears fit, but you end up with a 14.25 BB height. Not ideal, but ok. I don't see a 7.0 X 2.0 shock as being available...... Even better fit from what I understand is the RFX TNT bikes. But since I have a spot, maybe if I can put on the RFX TNT rear.......... would it fit?.......what would it do to the 13.50 ish BB height of the Spot? If that were to work, then I'd have to remove the der stop at the back of the seat tube and relocate it off to the side. And then have it repainted by Turner
    If this wouldn't work, I'll just have to stay with the RFX used frame concept. Or buy a new 650b frame from Ventana or Jamis.

DT, how about a 'conversion kit' for Turner frame owners........slightly longer stays or modified yokes with more clearance with a shock rocker sized correctly for a great BB height. Little investment, keep your owners in your brand, and increase the selling price of your used frames.........

Thanks for your input.........
    Sbob
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

Beer swillin' rabble ridr
    Aug 2008
    PM sent. On a lighter note, as far as modifiying the seat stay, I just let the tire do the job.. a perfect grinding wheel! Just add sand. What? repaint the frame? Save your money, use magic marker! Or better yet since my frame was black, I used electrical tape. Can't even tell but I'm running 1x9 so no need to reweld the cable stop since don't need it.
    Drink beer all day

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

wow, so many questions so little time. Your best bet is to call Sherwood and Teresa @ Ventana and buy a 650 El Bastardo. You will get the right BB height and tire clearance, something bandage engineering will not. One thing that is certain with the several 650 conversions that were not designed for 650, is that riders can certainly put up with far less tire clearance than many think! No, I will not be reducing tire clearance in the future, just a thought.
    Last edited by turnerbikes; 03-18-2010 at 10:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    wow, so many questions so little time. Your best bet is to call Sherwood and Teresa @ Ventana and buy a 650 bike. You will get the right BB height and tire clearance, something bandage engineering will not. One thing that is certain with the several 650 conversions that were not designed for 650, is that riders can certainly put up with far less tire clearance than many think! No, I will not be reducing tire clearance in the future, just a thought.

Thanks DT. Will do, if this doesn't work out at 1/10 the cost. Or if some 'other' boutique maker starts to offer them Greg is great btw............
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!