mtbr member
    Dec 2004

drive train woes...

I have a problem with rear der. I took my bike to the lbs because i have blown thru a new chain(2 months old with little use) and shifting in the rear was acting funny. My bike is all new so no old parts to worry about. The chain would hop in the rear gears in no matter what ring i had it in up front. It mostly does it in the bigger ones out back. It would do this going up hills or any time i would get in to it. The lbs said that the new rear der, x-9, was way bent. So they tried to fix it it by bending it back. It worked for one ride. I bought a new one from Larry@mhc. I followed everything to the letter on the instructions and i still have the problem. The lbs said my hanger was fine. I looked at it and it looks straight. I took it out on the road for test ride and problem is still there. Oh by the way i have a new chain on too. I have the correct length as well. I used the method DT uses so i believe it's right. I have rechecked everything a few times again it is right by the sram instructions that came w/ the new rer der. Any HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!

PS please don't flame me if i did something dumb.

m
    I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction-B. Hussein Obama

... I guess you won't be
    I couldn't help but notice that you are using a SRAM cassette [is the cassette new ?- I'm assuming it's somewhat new] - could there be some slack allowing the cassette to wiggle a bit? The cassette might not be playing nice with your hub.....Also, check the cassette twisted/bent cogs, or for loose cogs - perhaps the rivets holding them on may be defective. I'd try buying a cheap LX shimano cassette, which amazingly weights the same as the expensive SRAM cassette [or, an XT version if you're serious!!!] and see if the problem persists.....

Its often hard to see if your rear der. hanger is actually bent. Even for bike shop guys. It's wise to buy a few just to have lying around, and for these puzzling situations definitely! I'm betting it's the hanger, only because everyone seems to be absolutely convinced there's nothing wrong with it......

Lastly, if you buy 3 hangers at once, this literally guarantees you will never, ever bend another hanger.....
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

Never enough time to ride
    Everything Joker just said, and check the cable housing length leading from the last stop to the back of the derailleur. That last run is probably the most important to SRAM rear de. if it's just a little bit to short, the housing will be able to move back and forth while your shfiting causing your problem.

Hope that helps a bit.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I vote with squish on the derailer cable housing being too short, which results in ghost shifting when the suspension compresses.

A buddy with a Yeti 575 put quite a bit of $$$ into drivetrain replacements, then ran the bike over to my shop for a quick look, when the problem persisted.

Fifty cents of housing later, perfection was achieved.

Put the bike in a workstand, remove the top shock bolt, swing the shock forwards out of the way, and compress the suspension slowly while pedaling. If the chain tries to climb to a larger rear cog, the housing is too short somewhere.

Good luck!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks guys. I can always count on homers for help. I posted on the sram site but got only few replies. I will try all that you have said. The cable is the same as when Larry put it on there. It didn't have any trouble then. But maybe from crashes it loosened or something. i will check. I have to get a couple of hangers any way so i will put a new one on. thanks again homers.
    I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction-B. Hussein Obama

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    oh i forgot, yes joker the whole bike is less then 2 months old. I bought it from larry. I have not riden alot (less then once a week) since getting it.

m