mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Drilling water bottle mounts

I got tired of searching for the answers I seek so I thought I'd come to the source of all knowledge, the Turner forum. As everyone knows, the Burner only has one water bottle mount. Is drilling and installing the proper hardware under the downtube a no-brainer for a knowledgeable shop or is it actually something pretty tricky? I've never been a Camelback person (I hate having something riding on my back) and two bottles will usually do me, but the last time I was in Moab with my Burner I would look down there and say, if only...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    If I recall correctly, DT himself once posted the approved manner to add a water bottle mount, and indicated that anybody reasonably proficient with hand tools could do it correctly.

You'll probably get some good ideas here, but I'd also just call Turner tomorrow morning.
    Whining is not a strategy.

George Dickel
    Sep 2005
    Another option would be to try a seatpost mounted water bottle holder. I have also seen velcro strap type holders for lights and water bottles that are made specifically for frames with no mounts under the downtube. Just my $0.02.
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

Mr.Secret
    I've installed lots of cage mounts on the bottom of the downtube since Turner no longer provides them, and on many different bikes for that matter. I do use a jig and Riv-nut tool that makes it pretty simple.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

pretty simple for you maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by R.T.R.
    I've installed lots of cage mounts on the bottom of the downtube since Turner no longer provides them, and on many different bikes for that matter. I do use a jig and Riv-nut tool that makes it pretty simple.
    Would any competent shop carry this Riv-nut tool and would you trust anyone to do it? I haven't asked the mechanic at the shop I bought the Burner if he does, just thought I'd check out your opinions first. I do have a velcro strap thingy to carry another bottle but it mars the paint and moves around and is generally not a suitable substitute. From DTs point of view is not putting another cage mount down there a way to curb expenses (how much can it save per bike?), a general feeling that anyone riding a Turner would have to be a Camelback person, does it perhaps weaken the frame, or some sort of editorial comment on how bikes should be spec'd? Guess I could ask him.

And most importantly, does it affect the warranty by just anyone drilling this frame, even by a bike shop mechanic? So many questions about a simple cage mount.
    Last edited by xcguy; 01-08-2007 at 08:02 AM.

Mr.Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Would any competent shop carry this Riv-nut tool and would you trust anyone to do it? I haven't asked the mechanic at the shop I bought the Burner if he does, just thought I'd check out your opinions first. I do have a velcro strap thingy to carry another bottle but it mars the paint and moves around and is generally not a suitable substitute. From DTs point of view is not putting another cage mount down there a way to curb expenses (how much can it save per bike?), a general feeling that anyone riding a Turner would have to be a Camelback person, does it perhaps weaken the frame, or some sort of editorial comment on how bikes should be spec'd? Guess I could ask him.

And most importantly, does it affect the warranty by just anyone drilling this frame, even by a bike shop mechanic? So many questions about a simple cage mount.
    I've seen my fair share of busted frames of several different brands but I've never yet seen a downtube busted through a downtube cage mount.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R.T.R.
    I've seen my fair share of busted frames of several different brands but I've never yet seen a downtube busted through a downtube cage mount.
    I've seen a Foes frame brake in exactly this way...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

found the answer

Greg from Turner just emailed me saying do it, it doesn't affect the warranty. And I found out my LBS does it all the time. Shoulda done this a long time ago! I'm not about to buy a Riv-Nut tool and experiment on my Burner, I'll just pay someone who knows what they're doing do the deed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Greg from Turner just emailed me saying do it, it doesn't affect the warranty. And I found out my LBS does it all the time. Shoulda done this a long time ago! I'm not about to buy a Riv-Nut tool and experiment on my Burner, I'll just pay someone who knows what they're doing do the deed.

yep, the riv-nut tool makes adding a bottle cage very easy. Stein also offers a drilling jig that ensures for perfect alignment:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 1